House Price Crash Forum

Rents Go Through Roof In Edinburgh

HOLA441
HOLA442

You bears would love to let this one just drop off the forum, wouldn't you?

IMO this may be a symptom of additional govt regulation. Why risk letting an older property requiring maintenance with every landlord in Scotland having to register with LA's? Why risk the LA saying you're a bad landlord for your poor standard property? It happended to be a very affordable property, but hey, who cares if it was cheap for the tenants?

Labour have stated they want to improve the standard of housing in the UK and as far as I know have only targeted private landlords. Well look what they'll get for it, no affordable rental accomodation in the private rental market.

HOLA443
Guest Winners and Losers

IMO this may be a symptom of additional govt regulation. Why risk letting an older property requiring maintenance with every landlord in Scotland having to register with LA's? Why risk the LA saying you're a bad landlord for your poor standard property? It happended to be a very affordable property, but hey, who cares if it was cheap for the tenants?

Labour have stated they want to improve the standard of housing in the UK and as far as I know have only targeted private landlords. Well look what they'll get for it, no affordable rental accomodation in the private rental market.

I knew it! Somebody obviously forgot to tell him never, ever, to post anything about rents rising on here!

Spin it TTRTR, spin it hard.

HOLA444

UTTER SHITE!!!!!!

"Fraser Crichton, of rental agency Dove Davies and Partners on Atholl Place, said...." yeah yeah... rents only ever go up!.

mmm can't buy a flat too expensive.....rent one!! mmmm too expensive too.... oh well thats life. live in the gutter....?

So who is buying and who can afford to rent if true???

Edinburgh like Glasgow, Dundee and Aberdeen are awash with new build city flats!!!

AWASH!!!!! LONG TERM VACANCIES

This is downright lies from the Scotsman. The dirty BarrSTARDS!!

HOLA445

That's right, throughout the UK landlords will just let the properties sit empty instead with no rent coming in. Council tax anyone?

The market will find a new equilibrium of rented, vacant and owner-occupied property. What that will be the wrong end of a bubble - who can say?

btp

HOLA446

That's right, throughout the UK landlords will just let the properties sit empty instead with no rent coming in. Council tax anyone?

The market will find a new equilibrium of rented, vacant and owner-occupied property. What that will be the wrong end of a bubble - who can say?

btp

Gee what's the alternative?

1/ Let your low quality place out & be accused of ripping people off, have the place taken over by the council & stop receiving rent.

Or

2/ Renovate it to a high modern standard & ask the appropriate rent. Voids may be extended if the rent isn't what most tenants are hoping to pay.

Let me tell you for free that option 2 is far far less painful.

HOLA447

You spin me right round baby right round like a ...

HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest Winners and Losers

You spin me right round baby right round like a ...

Stop picking on TTRTR. ;)

I'm gonna join an Australian HPC forum and call my self TTRTRIA.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

1/ Let your low quality place out & be accused of ripping people off, have the place taken over by the council & stop receiving rent.

Or

2/ Renovate it to a high modern standard & ask the appropriate rent. Voids may be extended if the rent isn't what most tenants are hoping to pay.

Yeah but peeps aren't buying because they cannot afford the mortgage. To turn a profit, you have to charge the mortgage & other outgoings -- thus, if people can afford the appropiate rent, they can afford the neccessary mortgage easily anyway.

And as more people get desperate and beyond caring as a consequence, they will consider squatting again in those extended voids -- even if you do get them out at considerable legal cost, the place tends to be thrashed afterwards. If it isn't, once a place is in squatter hand, the day you kick them out, the next lot will move in the very same night, probaby in a straight swap action.

HOLA4413

Yeah but peeps aren't buying because they cannot afford the mortgage. To turn a profit, you have to charge the mortgage & other outgoings -- thus, if people can afford the appropiate rent, they can afford the neccessary mortgage easily anyway.

And as more people get desperate and beyond caring as a consequence, they will consider squatting again in those extended voids -- even if you do get them out at considerable legal cost, the place tends to be thrashed afterwards. If it isn't, once a place is in squatter hand, the day you kick them out, the next lot will move in the very same night, probaby in a straight swap action.

Someone is running a tad behind the times there.

HOLA4414

Or

You missed out:

3/ Sell up and find some other gainful employment. ;)

btp

HOLA4415

You missed out:

3/ Sell up and find some other gainful employment. ;)

btp

So we should all be wage slaves? Are you one of those 'know your station' people?

And what makes most jobs gainful these days? Jobs obviously aren't paying the wages that you need to afford buying are they?

Explain what's gainful about that.

Edited by Time to raise the rents.

HOLA4416

Or

true but what percentage of landlords can afford to do this

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

true but what percentage of landlords can afford to do this

What percentage can afford to be labelled bad landlords by letting old places out?

I'm currently looking for a flat and I see that there are tons of nice 2 beds in the £600-700 range, including centrally locatated older flats and smart new-builds around the Ocean Terminal. Just go and look on Rightmove if you don't believe me.

I don't think the average young renter wants to pay that price. I assume that area is in Scotland. The same type of place in London is about £1,200 per month.

HOLA4419

I live Edinburgh and rent, this is utter PIFFLE!!!!

http://www.lettingweb.com/search/SearchRes...&PropertyType=3

I have lived here 15 years and I have never seen so many places for rent at such a low prices. Look 67, 2 bed properties at under £600 a month.

When I moved to Edinburgh in 1991 the first 2 bed place I rented cost £550 a month. Hardly spiralling out of control is it!!!

HOLA4420

Good news indeed!

Uneconomic rents puts even more pressure on the renters raising the spectre of recession even higher. It simply means that BTLs were purchased at a high price forcing the landlords to charge high rents to cover their costs. The end result is that people will not be able to afford to live and jobs will be lost causing rents to eventually tumble.

The same applies to HPI. As houses become more expensive debt increases that in turn requires higher and higher wages to keep up. Factories eventually close due to labour costs and uneconomic conditions brough ton by the high cost of living.

Instead of bemoaning soaring rents they should be welcomed as they bring the crash that much nearer.

Landlords have no other choice due to the price they paid to get in at the top of the market.

HOLA4421

Good news indeed!

Uneconomic rents puts even more pressure on the renters raising the spectre of recession even higher. It simply means that BTLs were purchased at a high price forcing the landlords to charge high rents to cover their costs. The end result is that people will not be able to afford to live and jobs will be lost causing rents to eventually tumble.

The same applies to HPI. As houses become more expensive debt increases that in turn requires higher and higher wages to keep up. Factories eventually close due to labour costs and uneconomic conditions brough ton by the high cost of living.

Instead of bemoaning soaring rents they should be welcomed as they bring the crash that much nearer.

Landlords have no other choice due to the price they paid to get in at the top of the market.

You should read the post above yours. But why let facts get in the way?

HOLA4422

Good news indeed!

Yes good new indeed. Renters, forced to pay higher & higher rents or live on the streets, will never be able to afford to buy & will therefore support the BTL market forever.

I live Edinburgh and rent, this is utter PIFFLE!!!!

http://www.lettingweb.com/search/SearchRes...&PropertyType=3

I have lived here 15 years and I have never seen so many places for rent at such a low prices. Look 67, 2 bed properties at under £600 a month.

When I moved to Edinburgh in 1991 the first 2 bed place I rented cost £550 a month. Hardly spiralling out of control is it!!!

But is that what people who earn £1,200 per month want to pay?

HOLA4423

Yes good new indeed. Renters, forced to pay higher & higher rents or live on the streets, will never be able to afford to buy & will therefore support the BTL market forever.

But is that what people who earn £1,200 per month want to pay?

2 bed places are usually rented by couples or sharers. £300 out of their £1200 is ok in my opinion. Pretty pathetic return for the landlord, though.

You guys really do need to raise the rents! I wonder why you don't? :lol:

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

This article is rubbish.

I think Edinburgh is one of the worst cities in Britain

for rental yield. Right now if you look at any of the online

letting agencies (Albany, Ryden, etc) for Edinburgh, you will

see plenty of nice two-beds between 600-700, lots of

good one-beds between 450-550.

I think the asking pricesfor rents might have increased a

bit in the last six months, that's possible. Buŧ I doubt the

landlords are getting these higher yields - I live in Edinburgh,