House Price Crash Forum

Will the BoE cut rates in June or August, as currently expected? Poll

Will the BoE cut rates in summer, as currently expected?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Will the BoE cut rates soon, by June or August, as currently expected?

• First cut in May
    • First cut in June
    • First cut in August
    • None of the above (No cut until after these dates)

HOLA441
4 minutes ago, Stewy said:

The infrastructure and capacity isn't free. It's totally fair to have a combination of a flat rate and a unit rate.

You know - like how you pay for a car, and for its fuel. 

You own the car, so it's not quite the same. There's no reason at all why standing charges should run alongside unit rate. A fairer system would see standing charges built-in to the unit rate. Use more energy, pay more.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
1 minute ago, Dreamcasting said:

You own the car, so it's not quite the same. There's no reason at all why standing charges should run alongside unit rate. A fairer system would see standing charges built-in to the unit rate. Use more energy, pay more.

It's the contribution to the fixed costs of infrastructure, eg the pipelines which needs upkeep. 

I'm a fairly low user so not arguing from a V.I. but from a fairness perspective. 

HOLA443
18 minutes ago, Dreamcasting said:

Brother who is a really low energy consumer paid 67p standing charge and used electricity equivalent to 58p yesterday. That is a typical day for him from spring through to autumn. The system needs a massive overhaul - imo those who use more energy should be paying a higher standing charge, and those who use less, a lower charge.

I agree, if someone spends money to insulate their homes, puts the right boiler in, only heats the room they use, gives up the bath and has a short shower ect, to reduce their and their families energy and water consumption they should pay less per unit Inc rip off standing charges not more, perhaps the first so many units should be standing charge free or less per day to encourage less waste/usage......key metres, pay as you go should not cost more per unit either...........before a few years ago it was fairer when had two separate unit charges, better than so much a day charge no matter how much use.;)

HOLA444
15 minutes ago, Stewy said:

The infrastructure and capacity isn't free. It's totally fair to have a combination of a flat rate and a unit rate.

You know - like how you pay for a car, and for its fuel. 

Don't agree how it set up......there are better ways to encourage to use less energy, but of course fuel companies don't want us to use less energy, in their interest for us all to use more and pay more for it.;)

HOLA445
1 minute ago, Stewy said:

It's the contribution to the fixed costs of infrastructure, eg the pipelines which needs upkeep. 

I'm a fairly low user so not arguing from a V.I. but from a fairness perspective. 

It's not fair though which is the point i'm making. There's far fairer systems that could replace the current standing charge structure.

HOLA446
9 minutes ago, Stewy said:

Still no reason those standing charges can't be converted into a per kWh cost and added to the unit rate.

HOLA447
10 minutes ago, Dreamcasting said:

It's not fair though which is the point i'm making. There's far fairer systems that could replace the current standing charge structure.

But a lot of the costs of energy supply are fixed rather than variable. Energy companies pass them through on a like-for-like basis.

That is fair. 

HOLA448
3 minutes ago, fellow said:

Still no reason those standing charges can't be converted into a per kWh cost and added to the unit rate.

You'd have to get rid of Ofgem's price cap methodology first. 

HOLA449
17 minutes ago, Stewy said:

But a lot of the costs of energy supply are fixed rather than variable. Energy companies pass them through on a like-for-like basis.

That is fair. 

It may have once been a bit more complicated, but was fairer and there were more and  better choices depending on the different ways people used their energy and how much they used.....;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26566667

HOLA4410
39 minutes ago, Stewy said:

That is fair. 

I'm going to agree to disagree here.

Interestingly, the standing charge for my brother's region has increased by 15% from Jan-Mar 2024 into Apr-Jun 2024. So much for your deflation calls.

HOLA4411