House Price Crash Forum

Edmonton, Pondersend, Enfield, Northaw, Brookmanspark

sp1

HOLA441

Hello,

Ponders End noticing a lot of "Savils auction" boards round here that were not as frequent before, and in edmonton. Every time i drive through the tarted up south street estate i cant help imagine riots happing there soon... Sorry if you live in this area but the station is nearby buy places are not finding tennant or buyers that proceed.

Edmonton, church street again close to the fabeled rail station that is supposed to be in such demand by city proffesionals again to let with little progress, and new builds going up fast no doubt with more btl over supply on voctoria road. Oh yes they expect that when asda opens at the green it will become and extension of whinchmore hill no doubt!

Enfield; Old park riding opposite riding ave nice big plot with two big developements, seems work has been stopped for a year.

Enfield chase, Big houses on ridge avenue mostly still stc without progress.

Even Bigger houses in brookmans park south of the Tulips garden center Andrews boards one gone sale agreed, but i expected these prime places to have been taken quick, in central london this value of propety ais not hanging around much is my impression.

Between whelam green round about and travelers lane there is what looks like a nice white bungalow oppposite the forest of hatfield park, this property has got auction and to let boards! any one got details on this. And no progress on the big house immediatley after the GT towing further north. This place seems close to finish but has work has stopped.

HOLA442

I was brought up in Enfield - clearly one needs to distinguish between the nice areas that might retain their value (Brookmans Park) and the poor areas (Edmonton).

However the big paradox given the price rises I've seen is that once prices reach a certain level then those developments aimed at 'city professionals' can only appeal to the types of people (high-earners) who wouldn't dream of living in Edmonton or similar. A prime example, admittedly in more salubrious Enfield, is the Tower Point development - I recall over three years ago viewing a two-bed for £250k - any sensible borrower would not buy it unless they were earning say £60k pa, and most people on this type of money who might contemplate buying there are either a) young professionals keener to live in Islington than Enfield, or B) young families who all other things being equal, would rather have a garden for the same money.

Luckily (for him), I advised a friend not to buy in that particular development and I don't think he regrets it.

HOLA443

Towerpoint apartments are truly awful arent they...

I live in Winchmore Hill, and am in the process of buying a house here, after many years of speculating and searching different areas, we've found a fantastic house right on our doorstep. I'd have to say that good property is snapped up immediately (good property seems increasingly rare around here, not much stock of small houses) and all the chaft sticks around for ages. I've followed the houses in N21 for over 3 years now, and watched several properties go on and off the market, without selling...

HOLA444

Enfield; Old park riding opposite riding ave nice big plot with two big developements, seems work has been stopped for a year.

Yep, walked passed them today for the first time in months. Seems that property isn't quite the constant goldmine it's made out to be. I'm very glad I don't live within a few doors of that building site and were trying to sell my house...

Nomadd

HOLA445

Towerpoint apartments are truly awful arent they...

I live in Winchmore Hill, and am in the process of buying a house here, after many years of speculating and searching different areas, we've found a fantastic house right on our doorstep. I'd have to say that good property is snapped up immediately (good property seems increasingly rare around here, not much stock of small houses) and all the chaft sticks around for ages. I've followed the houses in N21 for over 3 years now, and watched several properties go on and off the market, without selling...

A Towerpoint flat went up for auction last week and was not sold. It's reserve was 170K. I wonder if it'll come back up again.

HOLA446
Guest Cletus VanDamme

Apparently an undisclosed number of the Towerpoint flats are being let to the Council to house those in housing need. Which is great, but probably not who Towerpoint owner occupiers expected to find living next door!

I was brought up in Enfield - clearly one needs to distinguish between the nice areas that might retain their value (Brookmans Park) and the poor areas (Edmonton).

However the big paradox given the price rises I've seen is that once prices reach a certain level then those developments aimed at 'city professionals' can only appeal to the types of people (high-earners) who wouldn't dream of living in Edmonton or similar.

I've got a book of photos of Edmonton and Ponders End taken in the early 20th century. Looked quite nice back then...

Don't forget, places like Islington and Stoke Newington were considered down at heel not that long ago. Edmonton's time could be approaching! (you never know ... )

Apparently, Tottenham and Seven Sisters are on the up (according to the Evening Standard). Last place left in Zone 3 where you can by a 2/3 bed house for under 250K, so being 'snapped up' by those priced out of Crouch End.

HOLA447
Guest boredwaiting

Apparently an undisclosed number of the Towerpoint flats are being let to the Council to house those in housing need. Which is great, but probably not who Towerpoint owner occupiers expected to find living next door!

I've got a book of photos of Edmonton and Ponders End taken in the early 20th century. Looked quite nice back then...

Don't forget, places like Islington and Stoke Newington were considered down at heel not that long ago. Edmonton's time could be approaching! (you never know ... )

Apparently, Tottenham and Seven Sisters are on the up (according to the Evening Standard). Last place left in Zone 3 where you can by a 2/3 bed house for under 250K, so being 'snapped up' by those priced out of Crouch End.

I grew up in edmonton - it's a big sh*t hole - you wouldn't catch me going back there ever...

HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest Cletus VanDamme

Anyone know what Enfield Lock is like? Am considering a riverside place on Government Row.

Yes, I know it will be underwater soon! :)

Some parts of it are OK, but be careful. Enfield Island Village is a tale of two societies. You have your nice waterside flats, but you have the new Fairview council estates also. The risk manager at the hospital I used to work at told me the GP surgery on Enfield Island Village recently had to have bullet-proof glass put due to the level of assaults and aggression. A couple of years ago the 121 bus service to the Island was withdrawn due to attacks on the drivers.

Nearby Innova park is due for a massive housing development.

Be careful

HOLA4410

Some parts of it are OK, but be careful. Enfield Island Village is a tale of two societies. You have your nice waterside flats, but you have the new Fairview council estates also. The risk manager at the hospital I used to work at told me the GP surgery on Enfield Island Village recently had to have bullet-proof glass put due to the level of assaults and aggression. A couple of years ago the 121 bus service to the Island was withdrawn due to attacks on the drivers.

Be careful

I live in the ghetto part of EIV and can reveal that it is every bit as bad as Cletus makes out - but that in itself is not actually as bad as it seems <_<

I'm actually growing to like the place, after 18 months, and 3 weeks before leaving! It's not really *that* rough, and probably far far better than a lot of London. Yes, it is a very bi-lateral development, almost like a city in microcosm, with an inner core of poor newbuilds, high density and scowling teenagers and an outlying ring of X5s, double garages and big gardens.

Government Row is v nice though, directly across the river from me. We often look across there wistfully to see how the other half live, with canoes in their back garden, summer garden parties suffused with the sound of tipsy guffawing mixed with the faint aroma of Pimms and roast boar coming across on the soft breeze. Recommended.

try www.eivral.com for more details but I don't think Government Row features too heavily as it is considered somewhat seperate and aloof

HOLA4411

Be careful

thanks will tread carefully

I live in the ghetto part of EIV and can reveal that it is every bit as bad as Cletus makes out - but that in itself is not actually as bad as it seems <_<

I'm actually growing to like the place, after 18 months, and 3 weeks before leaving! It's not really *that* rough, and probably far far better than a lot of London. Yes, it is a very bi-lateral development, almost like a city in microcosm, with an inner core of poor newbuilds, high density and scowling teenagers and an outlying ring of X5s, double garages and big gardens.

Government Row is v nice though, directly across the river from me. We often look across there wistfully to see how the other half live, with canoes in their back garden, summer garden parties suffused with the sound of tipsy guffawing mixed with the faint aroma of Pimms and roast boar coming across on the soft breeze. Recommended.

try www.eivral.com for more details but I don't think Government Row features too heavily as it is considered somewhat seperate and aloof

Cheers. Its the idea of sitting in my own garden with my toes in the water than appeals.

Will check it out.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Im focusing on getting up and outta ponders end I wouldnt touch the lock area....

I'm not impressed by our own moral intergrity at the top level when considering the pollution form the London Waste incinerator and all the other fume chimmleys along the mollision way industrial area.

Depending on which way the winds blowing you can smell it and some times even the car has a fine coating of pollutant.

Remember when years back there were activists runnning idpendant air test in picketts lock lane near the reservious and often they claimed the results waere above Eu levels...then surprise surprise due to some mysterious gun crime the road is blockaded now...all smells to dodgy and I fear i dont trust our top rulers to ensure that the inceniratior is not run with profit over local in mind.

Take care sp1

HOLA4415

Remember when years back there were activists runnning idpendant air test in picketts lock lane near the reservious and often they claimed the results waere above Eu levels...then surprise surprise due to some mysterious gun crime the road is blockaded now...all smells to dodgy and I fear i dont trust our top rulers to ensure that the inceniratior is not run with profit over local in mind.

Take care sp1

I like a conspiracy as much as the next man, but I don't think the blockading is that sinister. I got my bike down there twice daily for a year (until they built the lovely new path on the other side of the canal).

It's not always blocked off, I gather it is open during the day.

My main beef with the area is that it is an almost uninterrupted cultural desert. And being London (notionally) the time and distance involved in travelling anywhere worthwhile is substantial. At least compared to where I'm from!

• 9 months later...
HOLA4416

Anyone know what Enfield Lock is like? Am considering a riverside place on Government Row.

Yes, I know it will be underwater soon! :)

Hi-I'm thinking of moving to Government Row too and just wondered if you went ahead and bought there? If you did-how is it?!

I'm looking forward to eating boar and drinking Pimms by the river :P