Should I fix my energy bill now or wait and see what happens

HOLA441

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Octopus currently have a 12 month fixed rate tariff which is cheaper than then current cap, and has no exit fee's.

I've just changed to it - the worst case scenario is that I get cheaper energy from now to April, and then go back to the standard tariff.

HOLA443
On 01/11/2023 at 14:34, winkie said:

You're not bailing out the companies.  You are bailing out those who had credit balances with them..

👎

HOLA444
HOLA445
3 minutes ago, Pmax2020 said:

energy prices are forecast to fall 24% by July….  so surely people are submitting creative meter reading right now…. 😏

I didn't think of that, but yes - you could put a low meter reading in to reduce the bill now.

HOLA446
10 hours ago, Pmax2020 said:

energy prices are forecast to fall 24% by July….  so surely people are submitting creative meter reading right now…. 😏

10 hours ago, JDI said:

I didn't think of that, but yes - you could put a low meter reading in to reduce the bill now.

It would have to pass meter read tolerance checks, so you can only really do a few percent of this. Hardly worth the effort. 

HOLA447
36 minutes ago, Stewy said:

It would have to pass meter read tolerance checks, so you can only really do a few percent of this. Hardly worth the effort. 

Do people not go on holidays anymore?! Also, weather varies greatly month to month - Jan/eb have been relatively mild. 

Lots of people have wood burning stoves these days too….

Energy usage, particularly gas, can be more variable than you think.

HOLA448
HOLA449
1 hour ago, Pmax2020 said:

Energy company: Can you explain why you barely used and gas in January and February?

Customer: Certainly, the energy cap was due to fall 18% on the 1st of March so we went without until the price came down 🤷‍♂️

Energy company's meter operator: BS. We'll ignore the read as it failed validation. 

HOLA4410
13 hours ago, Stewy said:

You're not bailing out the companies.  You are bailing out those who had credit balances with them..

👎

Not at all, the customers money they paid in advance for fuel should be separate to any business money......a clients account.......else we could all take money from others monthly, gamble with it, pay high wages and dividends and then go bust expecting the state, you and me to bail them out and add the cost to our standing charges monthly.;)

HOLA4411
1 hour ago, winkie said:

Not at all, the customers money they paid in advance for fuel should be separate to any business money......a clients account.......else we could all take money from others monthly, gamble with it, pay high wages and dividends and then go bust expecting the state, you and me to bail them out and add the cost to our standing charges monthly.;)

To whom is the "bailout money" going then?

Hint, it's not to the companies that no longer exist. 😆

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Just now, clarkey said:

British Gas makes record profits.  I thought the price rises were just covering increased costs of buying gas yet here they are making record profits

They operated within the Price Cap ✓✓✓

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
11 minutes ago, clarkey said:

Easy to do when you can pretty much double peoples bills

Extortion, excess and greed, compliant by those in charge, they do not care what we pay, energy companies making so much money they do not know what to do with it.......take a trip to another place, the people there are not so ripped off......don't blame everything on the war in Ukraine.;)

HOLA4419
3 minutes ago, winkie said:

Extortion, excess and greed, compliant by those in charge, they do not care what we pay, energy companies making so much money they do not know what to do with it.......take a trip to another place, the people there are not so ripped off......don't blame everything on the war in Ukraine.;)

Prices were much much cheaper before the Government and Ofgem got involved... 🤔

HOLA4420
2 minutes ago, Stewy said:

Yes, because when anything is 'capped' that is tantamount to 'this is the price you can charge'. ✔️

HOLA4421
2 minutes ago, Sackboii said:

Yes, because when anything is 'capped' that is tantamount to 'this is the price you can charge'. ✔️

Exactly...I'd go back to no price cap tomorrow...anyone with credit balances would not be bailed-out though, in my world, so either pay-on-receipt or do due diligence into your prospective energy company 👍

HOLA4422
Just now, Stewy said:

Exactly...I'd go back to no price cap tomorrow...anyone with credit balances would not be bailed-out though, in my world, so either pay-on-receipt or do due diligence into your prospective energy company 👍

Anyone with debit balances would not be bailed out in my world..

HOLA4423
23 minutes ago, Stewy said:

They were indeed. 

But would it have remained so? Many of “our” power companies were bought up by European companies and were being run as cash cows. 

Would Octopus have been able to enter the market? 

Competition seemed almost non existent before intervention. The intervention by OFGEM made it too easy to enter the market. 

HOLA4424

Powerful energy companies are calling the shots, we aim to be independent and sovereign but we have failed to secure our own energy needs......other countries have done more than we have and we are paying more to keep their energy costs lower ........when there is scarcity we either pay what they ask of us, or we will not get sold enough to meet our needs......what have we done proactively to help people to insulate homes?....... something basic we could have invested in but didn't.;)

HOLA4425
42 minutes ago, Stewy said:

What is any 'Of' whatever you like to call it.....quangos, with little power to do not a lot......are they productive, contributing to GDP?;)