HOLA441
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
2 minutes ago, Smith said:

And we aren't going far with the self-evidently ridiculous mindset that human populations can increase into infinity. How will it end, if not in famine? An infinite number of people living in abundance and perfect harmony, do you think?

The population is not heading to infinity. In almost all developed countries it is heading for long term decline. 

HOLA444
9 minutes ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

What should I trust? Science and technology made possible life for 8 billion of us on this planet.  You people are crawling back to the middle-ages, where poeple were scared of famines, diseases and natural catastrophes. We ain't going anywhere with this mindset. 

"You people"? I only ridiculed your blind faith in a now fallen and woke institution.

Perhaps there was a time when science could enable, but that time is over. Blind faith will not save you.

Besides, science very rarely enables more efficient use of resources, capitalism (i.e. the market) is a far better tool for incentivising efficient use of scarce resources. Scientific progress requires lots of cheap energy to first achieve it, and to capitalise on it. Energy is not getting cheaper my friend and fusion is still 30 years away (just like it was 30 years away in the 60s).

Edited by nero120

HOLA445
5 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

The population is not heading to infinity. In almost all developed countries it is heading for long term decline. 

But some here are arguing that it needs to keep increasing to avoid "chaos", arguing that the current decline is a problem. So my question stands: how will population growth ad infinitum end?

Edited by Smith

HOLA446
1 minute ago, Smith said:

So you want me to believe your theory because it's old, but not mine, because it's old?

Still waiting to hear about your end game.

My theory is proven by facts and history. Ancient wheat seeds had a lower yield than the ones we use today, we can now build 10+ storeys buildings w/o using too much land, human are pretty good at spotting problems and find solutions. England is as big as Rio Grande do Norte and Paraiba in Brasil (look at the map) and I should be worried we are running out of space and resources? 

Have a look at what Paddy Lowe and Demon Hill are trying to do, fuels from water and C02. You folks have a pretty narrow mind. 

HOLA447
7 minutes ago, nero120 said:

"You people"? I only ridiculed your blind faith in a now fallen and woke institution.

Perhaps there was a time when science could enable, but that time is over. Blind faith will not save you.

Besides, science very rarely enables more efficient use of resources, capitalism (i.e. the market) is a far better tool for incentivising efficient use of scarce resources. Scientific progress requires lots of cheap energy to first achieve it, and to capitalise on it. Energy is not getting cheaper my friend and fusion is still 30 years away (just like it was 30 years away in the 60s).

What do you mean by woke institutions? Hundreds of 000s of firms out there are developing new technologies. 

HOLA448
1 minute ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

What do you mean by woke institutions? Hundreds of 000s of firms out there are developing new technologies. 

Ah yes, the "tech" will save us isn't it. Just out of interest, can you name one revolutionary technology that has directly improved my standard of living within my lifetime? If you say "AI" I will find you and I will punch you.

HOLA449
4 minutes ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

My theory is proven by facts and history. Ancient wheat seeds had a lower yield than the ones we use today, we can now build 10+ storeys buildings w/o using too much land, human are pretty good at spotting problems and find solutions. England is as big as Rio Grande do Norte and Paraiba in Brasil (look at the map) and I should be worried we are running out of space and resources? 

Have a look at what Paddy Lowe and Demon Hill are trying to do, fuels from water and C02. You folks have a pretty narrow mind. 

Always with the "you folks".

So what's the end game?

HOLA4410

Bloody Marxists. You want to chance the inner structures of human society and impose a top-down approach where the ruling class decide how much you can eat, and whether or not your next shag will result in a new born or not. China must be your dream, it seems that the CCP gave their slaves green light to produce more Hans. 

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Bloody Marxists. You want to chance the inner structures of human society and impose a top-down approach where the ruling class decide how much you can eat, and whether or not your next shag will result in a new born or not. China must be your dream, it seems that the CCP gave their slaves green light to produce more Hans. 

And there it is.

HOLA4413

"Anyone who disagrees with my dumba$$ thinking is a marxist waaaaaahhhh"

Lol, try again.

Edited by nero120

HOLA4414
2 minutes ago, nero120 said:

Ah yes, the "tech" will save us isn't it. Just out of interest, can you name one revolutionary technology that has directly improved my standard of living within my lifetime? If you say "AI" I will find you and I will punch you.

Birkeland-Eyde process? 

HOLA4415
1 minute ago, Smith said:

House price inflation is proven by facts and history. Do you think that means it can go on unchecked forever?

House Price Inflation is driven by cheap credit and lack of housing expecially in big cities where we still haven't knocked down these useless terraced. 

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
6 minutes ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

House Price Inflation is driven by cheap credit and lack of housing expecially in big cities where we still haven't knocked down these useless terraced. 

So you're happy for the "ruling class" to knock down all those terraces, presumably?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Just now, Smith said:

The end game of people taking responsibility for unchecked population growth is a sustainable population. What's the end game of your theory of ever-increasing population?

It's not a bloody theory, there's isn't any theory about ever-increasing population, the core of the issue is that you think humna population should be somehow managed like the head count in a global firm. I do not think this should be the case as I trust human ingenuity.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
4 hours ago, no_dependent4663 said:

The middle class is being exterminated. It's as simple as that.

The central banks have printed the middle class out of existence and unless we have hard deflation it will only get wrose.

It's officially a two-tier society again.

I take it that by middle class, you mean affluent proletariat? Earning enough money to keep a family and live a nice life without too much economic anxiety. I think this is true, more money is being sucked to the very wealthy.

HOLA4425
3 minutes ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

It's not a bloody theory, there's isn't any theory about ever-increasing population, the core of the issue is that you think humna population should be somehow managed like the head count in a global firm. I do not think this should be the case as I trust human ingenuity.

I don't think it should be managed; I think people should have the brains and self-awareness to see where things are heading and take some personal responsibility for their actions.

And a good starting point would be to drop the ridiculous assumption on which this thread is based, that parents are somehow doing us all a favour.