House Price Crash Forum

From 1 August 2021 the Minimum Income Floor in universal Credit is being reintroduced,  only after a chat with a work coach

HOLA441

From 1 August 2021 the Minimum Income Floor in universal Credit is being reintroduced,  only after a chat with a work coach

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Self-employment-and-minimum-income-floor-Universal-Credit

The minimum income floor was suspended in April 2020 and is being reintroduced from August 2021.

If you are self-employed and your earnings are low, your benefit may be worked out on higher earnings than you have. This is called the ‘minimum income floor’. The minimum income floor is set at the level of the national minimum wage at the number of hours you would be expected to work.

How many hours this is depends on your circumstances. For many people it will be 35 hours per week but if you have a disability, have caring responsibilities, or look after children, it might be less.

The minimum income floor only applies to Universal Credit and to some Council Tax Support schemes, not to other benefits.

How it works: If your earnings are below the minimum income floor, the minimum income floor figure will be used to work out your benefit instead of your earnings figure.

If you earn above the minimum income floor, your actual earnings will be used to work out your benefit.

Read more about the minimum income floor in our guide on self-employed income and Universal Credit.

Updated: July 2021

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Jargon-buster/Minimum-Income-Floor

The Problems with MIF from Martin Lewis of MSE..

n a nutshell, here are the key points:

The minimum income floor assumes you earn a wage you may not actually get when being assessed for universal credit.

Under the rule, if you claim the benefit when you've been self-employed for over a year, eligibility assessments will assume you earn at least the same as someone in paid employment with similar working hours on the minimum wage.

We've full info on how the minimum income floor works below. The problem comes for people who earn below the floor.

Here, when being assessed for the benefit, the Government will assume you earn the higher minimum income floor, and the more you are deemed to be earning, the less universal credit you get.

If you earn above the floor, there's no issue. As you'll be assessed on your actual income. In March, the minimum income floor was suspended due to the pandemic but it's due to return. This was a lifeline for many self-employed people who had initially seen income plummet after Covid-19 hit, as after the change it meant their universal credit payments were calculated on what they were actually earning, rather than an assumed amount which may have been higher than the reality.

But the suspension of the minimum income floor is set to end on 13 November unless the Government extends it. Martin has urged self-employed people to contact their local MP about the issue:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/10/self-employed-and-claiming-universal-credit--martin-s-warning-as/

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA442
HOLA443

Loads of work out there.

If you have a reasonably able body you should be able to walk into a hospitality, event steward, driving or other role atm.

Thats £311.85 a week and if you can have a good attitude and turn up on time I recon well over £10 per hour.

Best jobs in world ... no have I taken them to pay the bills between better jobs or whilst studying .... yes.

HOLA444
4 hours ago, Fromage Frais said:

Loads of work out there.

If you have a reasonably able body you should be able to walk into a hospitality, event steward, driving or other role atm.

Thats £311.85 a week and if you can have a good attitude and turn up on time I recon well over £10 per hour.

Best jobs in world ... no have I taken them to pay the bills between better jobs or whilst studying .... yes.

Regarding hospitality jobs. It's a shit job serving rude and entitled customers and standing on your feet all day without sitting. And you'll have crazy shift pattern that never stays consistent and you'll never get holidays you want off.

HOLA445
18 hours ago, phantominvestor said:

Regarding hospitality jobs. It's a shit job serving rude and entitled customers and standing on your feet all day without sitting. And you'll have crazy shift pattern that never stays consistent and you'll never get holidays you want off.

All jobs have good and bad points.

I work in hospitality and outside of corona and pull in more than many “non shit” jobs.

I pay well over 30k now for supervisors and chefs now get good money way over.

Few of my staff have university degrees and this industry is one of the few where you can walk in as a kp and then with hard work go right to the top.

Also 99 percent of my customers a lovely they come to have a nice time and you can have a chat so not all horrible folk.

If you need a job you need a job and if it’s there to be done I don’t see why people doing said job should subsidise people to look down on the very job they are doing.

I would not want to pump out septic tanks and fat traps but I respect the guy who does it esp when i hand him £X00 for the 20 mins or so it takes to pump it out.

Edited by Fromage Frais

HOLA446
HOLA447
27 minutes ago, HowMuch! said:

Care to share the hourly rates paid?

https://uk.indeed.com/jobs?q=chef&l=nr23

Chefs in my area

https://uk.indeed.com/jobs?q=bar staff&l=nr23

Front of house staff

https://uk.indeed.com/jobs?q=bar supervisor&l=nr23

Supervisor Level

You can ignore the ones under 9.x they wont be getting any applicants aside from students or 0 experience.

Its not investment banking but compared to other fields when many get tips over .50 extra per hour and hourly holiday accruals.

I would expect cities to be paying more

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
5 hours ago, HowMuch! said:

Not North Norfolk... let look at how these wage rates compared to the housing... lots of those jobs will be seasonal as well. nm.

Well obviously I am on HPC

You could be on 80k+ and struggle to buy a decent detached house around here if you have a family.

I was pulling the trigger the week of the stamp duty holidays announcement and 400 > 550 and that was that

Edited by Fromage Frais