• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
2 minutes ago, longgone said:

Wine women song holidays and a job title of  chief procrastinator is expensive.

Hopefully our scorched earth future will make green shoots appear.

wine-women-and-song-poster-art-1933-E5N5

HOLA446
12 hours ago, gruffydd said:

Yes this is the level of crash in jobs I'm seeing - the jobs market is cratered. I spoke to another recruiter yesterday after an inexplicable e-mail to apply for a job (I was being nosey!) - and they said yes, there is nothing left in terms of vacanices. If they do have a job they e-mail it to a couple of dozen candidates they have on their system rather than adverising the vacancy - again because they were getting thousands of applications per vacancy. 

Then I became nosier still and phone a friend in recruitment - their agency had lost all its clients (IT - technical) and were going back to square one. Nothing left. No jobs. No clients. 

Im not sure about jobs or demand.

Theres very few offices open.

And if few are willing to have a full staff, then none are willing to have loads of interviews traipse into the office.

Logitics of interviewing hare such a PITA sicne in the a.se since March that few are bothering, prefering to make do.

HOLA447
HOLA448
1 hour ago, spyguy said:

Im not sure about jobs or demand.

Theres very few offices open.

And if few are willing to have a full staff, then none are willing to have loads of interviews traipse into the office.

Logitics of interviewing hare such a PITA sicne in the a.se since March that few are bothering, prefering to make do.

Interviewing is mainly online now from what I know - I've had a few myself. Zoom interviews are the norm - if companies need staff they will interview them, whichever way they need to. 

HOLA449
2 minutes ago, gruffydd said:

Interviewing is mainly online now from what I know - I've had a few myself. Zoom interviews are the norm - if companies need staff they will interview them, whichever way they need to. 

Are you working at the moment?

HOLA4410
5 minutes ago, gruffydd said:

Online doesnt cover ~80% of the UK skills base.

Most companies still require people to turn up somewhere and do something.

Having, say, a production line, staffed by known people already employed isnt go to react well with a load of new people turning up at the moment.

For example of the risk of having people from here there n everywhere, the low end food processing, now staffed mainly by EEers are blowing up with covid case, causing v expensive shutdowns:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/19/three-meat-factories-in-england-and-wales-closed-over-coronavirus

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8669413/Covid-crisis-Britains-food-plants-75-staff-test-positive-chicken-factory-Norfolk.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53255478

HOLA4411
2 hours ago, gruffydd said:

Really I don't... tech / digital was the future, etc., etc. - and it may well be - but then along came COVID-19. 

could be the future but then many should not always expect their well paid job to be around forever, better expect more rainy days in the future. ;) 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
4 hours ago, spyguy said:

Online doesnt cover ~80% of the UK skills base.

Most companies still require people to turn up somewhere and do something.

Having, say, a production line, staffed by known people already employed isnt go to react well with a load of new people turning up at the moment.

For example of the risk of having people from here there n everywhere, the low end food processing, now staffed mainly by EEers are blowing up with covid case, causing v expensive shutdowns:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/19/three-meat-factories-in-england-and-wales-closed-over-coronavirus

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8669413/Covid-crisis-Britains-food-plants-75-staff-test-positive-chicken-factory-Norfolk.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53255478

It'd be interesting to know the breakdown but around 50% of all workers managed to work from home during COVID, so I would imagine the majority are office based. 

HOLA4415
1 minute ago, shlomo said:

In  thought IT would be doing well

It has collapsed completely - the contract side - even the old uns like me who've been in it for decades are struggling badly. The level of disruption is off the scale. I spoke to a recruiter last week who thought it would stay like this for at least 12 months but who knows. 

HOLA4416
15 minutes ago, gruffydd said:

It has collapsed completely - the contract side - even the old uns like me who've been in it for decades are struggling badly. The level of disruption is off the scale. I spoke to a recruiter last week who thought it would stay like this for at least 12 months but who knows. 

Maybe this is the new normal, I think the economy will be 30%+ smaller than 2019

i have friends in the recruitment industry and they are all being laid off, they have never seen anything like this

Edited by shlomo

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
9 minutes ago, longgone said:

You must feel emasculated

Yes, because women don’t need us anymore, they earn more money than we do 

The days of men being providers is over in the West 

HOLA4423