House Price Crash Forum

British jobs crisis is biting - shocking number of applications per vacancy

I phoned up a large recruiter today - one of the largest generalist recruiters - one of the bosses. 

Anyway, I mention there seem to be few jobs listed - he told me they were no longer listing many jobs because they were getting so many CVs and couldn't process them - often in the hundreds - one a couple of days ago (22,000 was the pay) received 1000+ applications, so they'd made the decision not to list. 

Bleedin' 'eck! 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, 24gray24 said:

Hundreds of applications per vacancy is normal in a recession. 

Just saying. 

(The Tories will scrap the minimum wage; thats what "full employment" means . Similar to " helping ftbs" )

That'll be spun as 'help to earn a wage'. 

The commercial advantage of a third world country is low wages and for corporations low taxes. 

That's what boris wants and Europe is trying to prevent with brexit. 

But with italy's collapse, Europe will be in the same position too... 

Like 2 bugs circling a drain hole. 

2 hours ago, 24gray24 said:

Hundreds of applications per vacancy is normal in a recession. 

Just saying. 

(The Tories will scrap the minimum wage; thats what "full employment" means . Similar to " helping ftbs" )

There's a difference between hundreds and thousands. 

My last job had 1000 applicants to one agency. There were 4 agencies competing to fill 8 jobs. So potentially 4000 applicants for 8 jobs. 

At that level of applications selection is done by computer. Cv checking software looks for keywords. My agency used this software to thrash down 1000 applications to 100 before they actually read a cv in person. 

This is where the work comes in. You have to rewrite your cv for every job you apply for. You have to get the right keywords. If the job is for processing invoices, which is great you've lots of experience in this, your cv talks about 'processing' invoices.... but the job advert Talks about 'administering' invoices. You need to rewrite your cv to say administering instead of processing. The software wants to see the word administer 15 times, evenly across your last 3 roles. If your cv doesn't do this you won't stand a chance no matter how good your cv is. 

The staff on the last redundancy course I was on said I should add lots of keywords to the end of my cv in tiny white text so a person reading the cv couldn't see them, but the cv checking software would count them. 

Edited by regprentice
3 minutes ago, regprentice said:

My last job had 1000 applicants to one agency. There were 4 agencies competing to fill 8 jobs. So potentially 4000 applicants for 8 jobs. 

At that level of applications selection is done by computer. Cv checking software looks for keywords. My agency used this software to thrash down 1000 applications to 100 before they actually read a cv in person. 

This is where the work comes in. You have to rewrite through your cv for every job you apply for. You have to get the right keywords, if the job is for processing invoices, you've lots of experience in this, your cv talks about 'processing' invoices but the job advert Talks about 'administering' invoices then you need to rewrite your cv to say administering. The software wants to see the word administer 15 times, evenly across your last 3 roles. If your cv doesn't do this you won't stand a chance no matter how good your cv is. 

The staff on the last redundancy course I was on said I should add lots of keywords to the end of my cv in tiny white text so a person reading the cv couldn't see them, but the cv checking software would count them. 

Good call.

Additionally, avoid putting key skills in columns or tables as some software misses anything but the first column. And don't use dashes or semicolons or ampersands. 

11 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Good idea. 

Will you be updating your cv with this trick ? 

I wonder if you could use the same trick on a dating profile to get a few hits as opposed to nothing.

I suppose you would need to photoshop too to balance things up though with the hidden gems in the profile. Just a thought.

5 minutes ago, longgone said:

Will you be updating your cv with this trick ? 

I wonder if you could use the same trick on a dating profile to get a few hits as opposed to nothing.

I suppose you would need to photoshop too to balance things up though with the hidden gems in the profile. Just a thought.

Why dont you do this on your match.com profile, weird it might work.

Just now, longgone said:

Your friend we can vote on her ?  I believe the forum should be for everyone to voice their opinions. We are democratic at the end of the day

My impression is that most of the single guys on here think they are gods gift.

4 minutes ago, longgone said:

Hence why we need a poll on your friend let's prove that theory.

Seems you have taken this thread way off topic again.

You are the one bringing up how to improve your score on dating sites, using machine learning

Edited by shlomo
12 hours ago, regprentice said:

This is where the work comes in. You have to rewrite your cv for every job you apply for. You have to get the right keywords. If the job is for processing invoices, which is great you've lots of experience in this, your cv talks about 'processing' invoices.... but the job advert Talks about 'administering' invoices. You need to rewrite your cv to say administering instead of processing. The software wants to see the word administer 15 times, evenly across your last 3 roles. If your cv doesn't do this you won't stand a chance no matter how good your cv is. 

Can you get a computer to 'rewrite' your cv ? 

it's like a hall of mirrors ..

I have been through a few recessions but never spoken to a recruiter who has given up on CVs because of the volume, until this downturn - hearing it time and again! Not even using computers in this case - just putting candidates forward "who they know" for now. 

4 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Can you get a computer to 'rewrite' your cv ? 

it's like a hall of mirrors ..

You probably can.... I paid an 'cv consultancy' to rewrite my cv a few years ago. I loved my cv, well written, with detail and background in proper full paragraphs. I was a hiring manager of a team of 16 at that point and would only consider similarly written cvs. I hated the fashion towards bullet point written cvs. 

But then consultants started telling my cv was old fashioned and I had to rewrite it in bullets. I just couldn't do it, each bullet was still 2 to 3 lines long. The only way I could get a 'modern cv' was for someone else to write it from scratch as I genuinely felt physically sick stripping all the meaning and context to the work I'd done. 

And that's where society is now - keywords. Not paragraphs, not sentences, not even xxxxing bullet points. 11 years of study and 30 years experience squashed into a few 'key' words. 

1 hour ago, regprentice said:

You probably can.... I paid an 'cv consultancy' to rewrite my cv a few years ago. I loved my cv, well written, with detail and background in proper full paragraphs. I was a hiring manager of a team of 16 at that point and would only consider similarly written cvs. I hated the fashion towards bullet point written cvs. 

But then consultants started telling my cv was old fashioned and I had to rewrite it in bullets. I just couldn't do it, each bullet was still 2 to 3 lines long. The only way I could get a 'modern cv' was for someone else to write it from scratch as I genuinely felt physically sick stripping all the meaning and context to the work I'd done. 

And that's where society is now - keywords. Not paragraphs, not sentences, not even xxxxing bullet points. 11 years of study and 30 years experience squashed into a few 'key' words. 

Yep. Seems no-one has any time to do anything "the old way" (aka "properly" and "thoroughly") because they're in too much of a rush or have the attention span of a gnat.