House Price Crash Forum

Facebook ad - are things desperate now

warrior88

HOLA441
HOLA442
8 hours ago, warrior88 said:

Saw this in facebook, 5% towards deposit.

Why not reduce price? Probably as it impacts sales price and HPI calculation. 

5a379e7dbe08a_facebookad.PNG.bf5db4c84c621f7726c129bbd30ff787.PNG

Nah, if you have no deposit you can't get a mortgage and can't buy (even if you have good income). This lets people buy who couldn't do normally. Reducing the price by 5% wouldn't have the same effect. 

HOLA443
HOLA444

me and the wife were looking at taking on a big DEBT on a newbuild about eight nine years ago the buliders then were offering 'gifted deposits which I couldn't get my head around at the time, asked the agent to explain it to me which he couldn't do, basically said you don't need to worry about what it is or how it works because you're just the mark

it was something along the lines of the house 'sells' for £300k but you only pay £240k because the builder gifts you £60k

my questioning was along the lines of "so where exactly is the £60k?"

"so the asking price is £240k not £300k then?"

"can I have the £60k in premium bonds rather than cash?"

needless to say thanks to this site we didn't buy the house and its probably now asking £450k with no gifted deposit in sight

HOLA445
HOLA446

I remember this from the 90s crash. The gifted deposit keeps the numbers going to the Land Registry high so valuations on other properties in the development are not affected. There's probably a stamp duty downside which did not really exist in the 90s though, especially if you are into a new band thanks to the "gift".

HOLA447
1 hour ago, Nationalist said:

I remember this from the 90s crash. The gifted deposit keeps the numbers going to the Land Registry high so valuations on other properties in the development are not affected. There's probably a stamp duty downside which did not really exist in the 90s though, especially if you are into a new band thanks to the "gift".

It would be interesting to see if correction actually happens - seems like off plans flat are just not selling!

HOLA448
HOLA449
6 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Some businesses ie developers/hotels etc have certain covenants in their loan agreements.

For example say you have a development of flats worth 400k each in your application with a honking great loan against them.

The bank may say that the said flats need to have a value of x lest the loan be called in for breaking the deal.

I distinctly remember viewing a chain of small hotels where the owner who I know showed me he never missed a payment on his loans....just the market for hotels collapsed ergo the value dropped 40%+ and it was called in.  from that day on I always watch out for those type of clauses.

The property equivalent of a Margin Call.

So if these developers are up to their eyeballs in debt + they thought their prices would be 20% higher this year 2017 then say 2014 they may not actually be able to reduce... if they did it would at a stroke make that the price of all the other apartments > leading to ruin

Edited by Fromage Frais

HOLA4410
16 hours ago, Fromage Frais said:

Some businesses ie developers/hotels etc have certain covenants in their loan agreements.

For example say you have a development of flats worth 400k each in your application with a honking great loan against them.

The bank may say that the said flats need to have a value of x lest the loan be called in for breaking the deal.

I distinctly remember viewing a chain of small hotels where the owner who I know showed me he never missed a payment on his loans....just the market for hotels collapsed ergo the value dropped 40%+ and it was called in.  from that day on I always watch out for those type of clauses.

So if these developers are up to their eyeballs in debt + they thought their prices would be 20% higher this year 2017 then say 2014 they may not actually be able to reduce... if they did it would at a stroke make that the price of all the other apartments > leading to ruin

Yes that is probably true, so both Bank covenants (Debt) and HPI to blame

HOLA4411
17 hours ago, Fromage Frais said:

you just described the entire housing "market"

smoke and mirrors

but mainly just DEBT, lots and lots of DEBT

• 5 weeks later...
HOLA4412