House Price Crash Forum

How Soon Will Vaping Become As Expensive As Smoking?

copydude

HOLA441
1 hour ago, shatner's bassoon said:

That may be because there are compounds in tobacco that are also found in a class of anti-depressant drugs, namely MAOIs. I was certainly much flatter when I stopped smoking & hence was probably self-medicating with the fags. 

"tobacco contains naturally occurring MAOI compounds in addition to the nicotine"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoamine_oxidase_inhibitor

See this is very interesting. Cheers. 

I've often felt I was particularly addicted to nicotine, if I concentrate on it I can get by on 2 or 3 small rollies a day without ever having a craving or getting angry. When quitting I found the nicotine from nicotine replacement was too much for me and I started getting hooked on much larger doses of that than I'd normally get from fags.

The biggest problem with depression brought on by not smoking is that starting smoking again doesn't clear it straight away. Takes a week or two to get my head straight, which is a long time to want to die.

I shall look into this, cheers.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Let's face it

The anti smoking lobby have been knocked sideways by vaping.

It works, unlike their various remedies which are useless.

Their clinics have had to close, they are not wanted.

The Government, with their anti smoking stance have been caught with their pants down because they never really believed that people would give up and therefore taxed them to hell.

Now they are short of tax pounds!!!

Ha Ha Ha.

Bloody Ha!

HOLA445
15 minutes ago, Byron said:

Let's face it

The anti smoking lobby have been knocked sideways by vaping.

It works, unlike their various remedies which are useless.

Their clinics have had to close, they are not wanted.

The Government, with their anti smoking stance have been caught with their pants down because they never really believed that people would give up and therefore taxed them to hell.

Now they are short of tax pounds!!!

Ha Ha Ha.

Bloody Ha!

Excellent post. 

HOLA446
On 25/10/2017 at 9:44 PM, copydude said:

The Gov has ordered an inquiry into e-cigarettes, which looks like becoming Britain's biggest craze since hula hoops.

According to Bloomberg, early research indicates that vaping is 95% less harmful than smoking, so that's all good, yes?

Well, perhaps not in a country which depends upon punitive taxation. 3 million people are no longer buying the world's most expensive fags every day and one imagines the Gov will not be able to leave this alone for long.

I thought smoking was supposed to cost the NHS a fortune? Less tax coming in but offset by less expenditure? They could use vaping as a reason for proper NHS cuts.

HOLA447

I can see the advantages of vaping over cigarettes, and if I was a cigarette smoker I would certainly change to vaping. 

However...I was (and am) a pipe smoker but tried vaping because my ex-wife didn't like me smoking my pipe in the house. I got hooked rapidly and was soon sucking on that crack pipe non-stop. If I didn't have it I got very stressed and I started to develop some health issues which I suspect were connected to high blood pressure.  I get a sense of elation when vaping and the rest of the time feel down, particularly in the mornings when I get up. 

Over the last four years I have given up vaping about three times. I have currently given up - smashed my vaping pipe in a fit of anger at being 'hooked' on it. It's been two weeks now and I feel fine; I smoke a real pipe every couple of days and take a few pinches of snuff during the day to keep the cravings down. (Snuff by the way is said to be a good way to get off cigs and there is even a brand of snuff called Quit which is formulated for cig smokers. Snuff is not taxed by HMG and costs a few pence for a tin. 

So vaping is better than cigs but is not without its problems also. 

HOLA448
On 10/26/2017 at 11:01 PM, Democorruptcy said:

I thought smoking was supposed to cost the NHS a fortune? Less tax coming in but offset by less expenditure? They could use vaping as a reason for proper NHS cuts.

The NHS paid for Alan Carr's lung cancer treatment but he hadn't paid any ciggie tax for 23 years. Rinse and repeat a couple of million times with other ex smokers and there is a financial problem. 

Archived