House Price Crash Forum

Have You Pencilled In A Date Yet?

HOLA441

Long time, no read.

It's depressing to have been away from HPC for months and to come back and see that nothing seems to have changed, market-wise. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Since the SIPS u-turn I've been in hpc exile and whilst I've had a bit of luck money-wise (salary increase of 20%. share growth of 20%) none of it seems to be enough to keep up with the extortionate prices of property. Perhaps I'm just feeling blue?

Anyway...I'm going to start looking to buy this summer I think and imagine I'll have bought somewhere by April 2007. I can't see me holding out any longer than Summer 2007.

Christ, I hope prices come down before then.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Long time, no read.

It's depressing to have been away from HPC for months and to come back and see that nothing seems to have changed, market-wise. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Since the SIPS u-turn I've been in hpc exile and whilst I've had a bit of luck money-wise (salary increase of 20%. share growth of 20%) none of it seems to be enough to keep up with the extortionate prices of property. Perhaps I'm just feeling blue?

Anyway...I'm going to start looking to buy this summer I think and imagine I'll have bought somewhere by April 2007. I can't see me holding out any longer than Summer 2007.

Renting is lovely--cheaper than buying at the top of the market and you can enjoy further increases in your portfolio. And all the time watch the house prices continue to erode. Depending where you live its looking good again for 2006!

HOLA445
HOLA446

Rush?

I started looking in Summer 2004. By the time I buy I'll have waited about 30 months. That's plenty time.

I'm just a bit bored with the whole renting thing I guess. Of course I know the arguments but if the market does not dip significantly in the next year then I wont be put off. I'll just be really tired of waiting.

I should have enough of a deposit to mean that the mortage will be roughly the same as my rent so I figure, why not.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Donnie,

There isn't a great deal of change on here since much earlier in 2005.

There is an acceptance that the prices don't appear to be going up huge amounts each month. Equally though, there is acceptance that making silly low offers in the hope that someone will accept 30% lower than they paid for the property 2 years ago is not going to work.

I am agonising over the question of when myself and this is my view. If was 5 years younger (i am 31) and unmarried then I would stick it out in this country. But I am married and have a kid and am under huge pressure from all corners to buy. My alternative is to run away to another country with wife and kid and work there for a few years. Not sure if that is going to be a possibility.

The difficulty is compounded by the intention of my wife to buy a property before we go abroad "as an investment and for when we get back". The latter concept is IMHO totally stupid but her mums property portfolio has only gone up since she started in 1995 so "property is a safe bet".

Give the potential for a major financial screw-up of our lives, I may opt for a middle line of attack which would be to buy a place below our stretch limit and accept that it may cost me £100,000 if prices dropped 25% (I could stomach a £100k loss over 5 years - not pleasant but I value my wife and kid far more than that). Then, if/when it happened and an HPC roared, I might still be able to trade up in the melee. Big "might" though.

I can hold-off only until autumn this year before taking some very drastic action.

In the meantime, we are about to sign a lease on a property which I consider to be way above the market rent for the relevant property; why? because my wife likes the property...

woody

HOLA4411

Someone mentioned area...the area I will buy in is quite a nice part of North London.

Between 89-96 (last crash) it held steady (+0.4%) and although that is ni real-terms a fall it's hardly a great tumble. I don't know. I can imagine its the kind of area which will hold steady during a bad market. Maybe it'll drop 2% a year at most.

Is that enough to dissuade me? I'm not sure. I'm intending to sink 25% into a flat that I would be happy living in for 5-10 years so I dont think it would.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Rush?

I started looking in Summer 2004. By the time I buy I'll have waited about 30 months. That's plenty time.

I'm just a bit bored with the whole renting thing I guess. Of course I know the arguments but if the market does not dip significantly in the next year then I wont be put off. I'll just be really tired of waiting.

I should have enough of a deposit to mean that the mortage will be roughly the same as my rent so I figure, why not.

Well OK, not exactly a rush, but still compare 30 months to 30 years.

Whatever decision is made now could affect your life for that length of time. There are all sorts of valid reasons for wanting to and actually making the move - I just wouldn't put impatience and boredom on the list. :rolleyes:

HOLA4414

I have started seeing house prices being reduced where I am in the East Midlands, also seeing a pick up in activity a few more SSTC going up, putting two and two together I think they are selling for less.

If this is the case I am more than happy renting.

If house prices where going to keep going up as some people think because of a new paradigm or globalisation, why have they stalled in some areas and fallen in others, if they are correct then this stall

which is now recognised by VI wouldnt have happened surely.

And I know, dont call me shirley!

HOLA4415

In the meantime, we are about to sign a lease on a property which I consider to be way above the market rent for the relevant property; why? because my wife likes the property...

woody

Yikes! I am mid 20's and under increasing pressure to buy myself. I am getting married next year and once that is done then the burning issue will be: "when are you going to buy?" Frankly, the inquistors will have a point because I will have been putting them off and stalling them with theories about the market for....about 2 1/2 years.

Whatever decision is made now could affect your life for that length of time. There are all sorts of valid reasons for wanting to and actually making the move - I just wouldn't put impatience and boredom on the list. :rolleyes:

How about:

desire to own somewhere (nesting)

have somewhere I can redecorate, furnish and not feel it's a waste

desire to live in a 2 bed so friends and family can stay over

desire to 'feel settled'

Seriously, dont you think 3 years of market-watching is enough?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Try seeing renting as another form of owning. A lease is an estate in land just like a freehold. The only difference is the length of time you agree to stay there. With a lease you determine the length of time with a freehold the choice is still yours subject to the marketability of your house.

If you own you don't really own as the land will revert to whoever can pay the bills. As an "owner" you lease at HM Pleasure--or for as long as you pay the taxes. Or, if you have a mortgage, at the pleasure of the bank.

I have been an OO since 1975 and STR in 2003 and am actually enjoying a sense of freedom from a mortgage and all the expenses that go along with maintaining a gaff of my own. Its really just an attitude--we have all been brainwashed into thinking rent is "dead money." So is mortage interest and equity comes and goes like the wind depending on the market and we live in very volatile times.

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA4418

What part of loosing your life's savings are you struggling with? :unsure:

Come on. Who here honestly believes that the market is going to crash 20,30,40%? That is the only way you will lose your savings and only then if you are forced to sell which if putting down a substantial deposit is pretty damn unlikely.

HOLA4419

The difficulty is compounded by the intention of my wife to buy a property before we go abroad "as an investment and for when we get back". The latter concept is IMHO totally stupid but her mums property portfolio has only gone up since she started in 1995 so "property is a safe bet".

Woody - resist this one at all costs. I can say from bitter experience that you don't need the millstone of a property back home. It can be the cause of much stress and anxst - and don't expect a property manager to take care of all the hassles. At the first sign of trouble, they'll dump it on you!

You are in an enviable position being able to work abroad without the hassle of having to rent out or sell your home - just checkout the expats forum.

HOLA4420

Come on. Who here honestly believes that the market is going to crash 20,30,40%? That is the only way you will lose your savings and only then if you are forced to sell which if putting down a substantial deposit is pretty damn unlikely.

50-60% looks like the figure. Its based on historic data which shows that the dip is always 50% of the preceding spike--always.

HOLA4421

A crash of up to 50% is IMO perfectly feasible, 20% IMO would be a soft landing.

Just because you don't have to sell the asset doesn't mean that you haven't lost money, if you slip into negative equity are your savings still intact?.

Anecdotally, I think the crash has started, anybody who thinks that now is a good time to buy is a fool.

HOLA4422

Yikes! I am mid 20's and under increasing pressure to buy myself. I am getting married next year and once that is done then the burning issue will be: "when are you going to buy?" Frankly, the inquistors will have a point because I will have been putting them off and stalling them with theories about the market for....about 2 1/2 years.

How about:

desire to own somewhere (nesting)

have somewhere I can redecorate, furnish and not feel it's a waste

desire to live in a 2 bed so friends and family can stay over

desire to 'feel settled'

Seriously, dont you think 3 years of market-watching is enough?

You know it's not written in stone that you have to buy property. Many people get married, have kids and live happily ever after in rented accomodation... just not the English for some reason.

Honestly, you're not living up to your contrarian avatar very well. Donnie Darko would never follow societal dogma. :)

HOLA4423

Local HP/Earnings ratios sitting at 8x+ in places all over the country. 50% would not surprise me and that is not taking into account the mess the economy is digging itself into mainly thanks to Gordon and his never never spending plans which deliver something approaching nothing. Another 4 years of this and all bets are off.

HOLA4424

Long time, no read.

Me? 3 - 5 years

HOLA4425

You know it's not written in stone that you have to buy property. Many people get married, have kids and live happily ever after in rented accomodation... just not the English for some reason.

Honestly, you're not living up to your contrarian avatar very well. Donnie Darko would never follow societal dogma. :)

Maybe, maybe. But all of you predicting this huge crash...would it not be fair to say if visible price-plummeting does not happen in the next year then it aint going to happen.

Honestly I was here a lot a year ago and the concensus was "2007, 2007"...I come back and it's "2009...2009". I love this place but there seem to be a lot of King *****s!