HOLA441
  • Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA443

I,ve asked Solvent Celt to look into the Fox and Sons website issue, he knows his way around the site. As yet no conclusion as to why it has been suspended in this way and so suddenly. There is the remote possibility that they realised what sort of information could be concluded from it, after all, I worked out a 39% loss in 18 months on an Ocean Village apartment, look back on this thread for more info!.

The upmystreet graphs are out, the links are below.

Southampton Graphs.

All Properties Average.

http://www.upmystreet.com/property/prices/...outhampton.html

Flats and Apartments Only.

Terraced Only.

Detached Only.

Conclusion

The price of flats fell in Q3 and by a significant amount, it looks like 6-8%. Remember these figures are to end of September only (They Are Slow To Publish).

Danni. If you are not already aware, and if it is a Perham House apartment you are buying, be informed that there is now another developement across the road from Perham House. I would check it out to see if will in anyway effect your apartment or value in a negative way.

I have done a amateur survey of estate agents and press recently. Its hard to conclude anything, prices are all over the place with flats. It looks like the flat market has entered its instabillity stage and is oscillating wildly. Some economists on here will tell you that is what happens in the stock market before a collapse of share prices, perhaps this is what is happening with flats.

A new release of flats in the town center is the same, although they are all similar flats, no 2 prices are the same. Is this to confuse purchasers, disabling thier abillity to judge a valuation on thier own purchase, I think so.

My survey as mentioned in an earlier post has not bought in a big enough analytical sample for me to reach conclusions, so come on, give me some data, do the survey!. I will report later.

Have a nice Xmas all. deano

HOLA444

Danni. If you are not already aware, and if it is a Perham House apartment you are buying, be informed that there is now another developement across the road from Perham House. I would check it out to see if will in anyway effect your apartment or value in a negative way.

Hi Deano,

Thanks a lot for this. I never exchanged contracts, though... Am moving out of Southampton--new job.

All the best and have a great Christmas,

d.

HOLA445

Deano et al

I've been unable to find any cached (historical) page info for the Fox & Sons auction site.

I suspect that they have stopped giving out the info for the reasons previously given.

I may be speaking to the auction dept before too long and if so I will ask why.

It might be just as well to copy the current page and if no results are forthcoming then we can get them direct from the land reg.

HOLA446

Fox & Sons Auction results are out. Looks like most went above the guide price. I don't have time to research them against Land Reg figures.

link

HOLA447

Fox & Sons Auction results are out. Looks like most went above the guide price. I don't have time to research them against Land Reg figures.

link

The next auction is only 2 months away not 3 as usuall, is business improving. Housing market picking up then. :rolleyes:

HOLA448

The next auction is only 2 months away not 3 as usuall, is business improving. Housing market picking up then. :rolleyes:

I'd suggest higher auction volumes indicate problems in selling property in the traditional manner.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA449

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=22185

Property Sold in 2003 for

24 Nov 2003 68 Flat 85 Charter House, Canute Road, Southampton, Southampton SO14 3FZ Flat £315,000

Now in 2005

19 Apr 2005 68 Flat 85 Charter House, Canute Road, Southampton, Southampton SO14 3FZ Flat £183,500

It won't be long now, before the bubble bursts.

HOLA4410

Just want to add some stuff to this thread (well damming evidence) B)

http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/property/mai...7/ixptop12.html

found by HPC poster realistbear

Quotes:

"The souring of the inner-city dream has left a glut of empty, new-build apartments, affordable to few and situated in communities bereft of families. What now for the super-cool, urban living space that stands empty? Caroline McGhie reports on a post-Sipps nightmare ......

Southampton

"There are 760 finished, unsold, two-bedroom flats in Southampton at the moment, and a lot more coming up on the inside track," says an analyst.

...At Ocean Village, planned as 400 apartments, the property consortium went bust, leaving flats for disposal and a section unbuilt. ..."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And data on 85 charter house canute road compiled by HPC poster spline (thread link below)

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...howtopic=22185#

Southampton Waterfront apartments: Charter House, Canute Road.

5024_msn050941_IMG_00.jpg

This graph shows the LR reported prices of the individual flats (scattered points) sold over time and the resale histories (linked points, lines) of those flats sold more than once. No 68 *is* unusual in having fallen so much, but so have a few others, although not as dramatically. But interesting that the only recent re-sales are sub-£200k and *all* appear to be loses.

k4dp42.jpg

Very impressive flip of No 17 B)

Edit: fixed some minor glitches with american vs english date notation - OK now :)

Prices from houseprices.co.uk

Graph basically shows recent resale of the flats are at a LOSS

Edited by trev

HOLA4411
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA4412

Its £339,000 or £335,000 depending on who you buy it from, apparentley. Its Febuary now and they have not dropped the price but we can monitor from now on.

Some interesting annecdotal stuff.

The Southampton Central Thread was started on the October 23rd 2004.

We noticed the empty Bitterne Road flats on May 3rd 2005 and to date and as far as I know they remain empty. No explanation as to why. Thats 10 months empty.

We had 8000 viewings as of 25th August 2005, so that is ten months and averages 800 per month to this date.

By 7th October 2005 we had a further 1500 thread viewings averaging 250 per week or 1000 per month when extrapolated. Thats an increase of 25%.

To date, I finish later timed out at cyber Cafe Chaos

HOLA4413

Its £339,000 or £335,000 depending on who you buy it from, apparentley. Its Febuary now and they have not dropped the price but we can monitor from now on.

Some interesting annecdotal stuff.

The Southampton Central Thread was started on the October 23rd 2004.

We noticed the empty Bitterne Road flats on May 3rd 2005 and to date and as far as I know they remain empty. No explanation as to why. Thats 10 months empty.

We had 8000 viewings as of 25th August 2005, so that is ten months and averages 800 per month to this date.

By 7th October 2005 we had a further 1500 thread viewings averaging 250 per week or 1000 per month when extrapolated. Thats an increase of 25%.

To date, I finish later timed out at cyber Cafe Chaos

It won't let me edit so I'm finishing within quote, sorry!.

To date 14th Febuary 13,500 viewings of this thread thats 4000 more viewings in 17 weeks. 235 per week.

The survey I did, of the people that vist this thread did not return a big enough sample for a good analysis. The sample was only 5, so can not be used. I would like to thank those that did it however.

The city's flat building program seems to have stalled. Block 5 Ocean Village is, I believe still on hold. Many other developements are coming in for completion and there are not many major starts.

I still don't know what Barrats are building on Shirley Road, I will let you know.

Now a warning to Purchasers about Briton Street Flats. I have been assured that Barrats and Kingsoak are one and the same company. If you think they compete on price down thier think again. There is bound to be co-operation and collusion between them so don't get reeled in if your buying down thier. There is no competitor, period.

Southamptons Economy.

The Ordanance Survey are moving away, as are the inland revenue near the same site. They gave traditional, solid well paid jobs to our residents for years but they are going the same way as BAT.

We still have the docks for good jobs or anything private sector is good.

Auction.

I did not go because there were no flats up for grabs but maybe the next one I will do.

The graphs from 'up my street' will be updated shortley and I will get back to you.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

A relative works for a well known alcoholic drinks bottler at the docks. Ok. Vinney Jones stars in the adverts. There were a spait of voluntary redundancies last September, and business wasnt it used to be.

Actually I have heard from a reliable source that the pub trade is 40% down on a 18 months ago. The taxi trade is also well down.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Was parked down by Roxan Mews on Portswood Road last week (opposite another Bellwether - the first ever (so I'm led to believe) B&Q).

SOLD signs proudly displayed in the windows of 5 or 6 flats.

Roxan Mews

The location isn't great (backs onto industrial estate, busy congested road in the morning, burnt out building next door, I disturbed a burglar there a year back - not a pleasant experience) but they have stuck a sort of wiggly pointy statue in the courtyard, so should sell like hotcakes.

I'm glad they developed the empty wasteground, it was an eyesore, and they had the sense to put underground parking space in, but I can't help feeling buyers of these flats might come to regret their purchase, at least at current advertised sale prices.

btp

Edited by backtoparents

HOLA4421

I still don't know what they are building on that rather large Shirley Road site. Looking at it, I would guess they are all flats. Its coming on nicely now, brickwork up to second floor.

I've found a really big site in North Baddesley, of Rownhams Road, not Rownhams Lane. Its a lot of property. There was a rumour of a 500 unit developement a while ago, perhaps this is it. Its a mixture of flats and houses. Looks quite tastefull to me.

Now then,Shirley Road. Alandale's has shut down. Is this the 1st to secumb. I thought it would be one of the new arrivals that went 1st, Destinations or Location but it was not, there you go.

Incidentally, I know for a fact that a number of estate agents down on Shirley Road collude with one another. Its because they are actually part of the same group under different names. Mann & Co is one of them, the other may be Austins and there may well be a third. They could all be part of Country Wide. Its important to know because if you try and game them on a purchase, playing one of against another you would loose because they phone each other up and merrilly play you. Also one of the Financial Advisers (I know his name) used to work in different estate agents on different days, so he knew everything going on.

HOLA4422

Looking through the window of Alandales is quite telling. The desks are there as are the chairs and computers. Apart from that, the place looks ransacked, paperwork all over the floor etc. This firm has come to a messy end.

A note in the window gives the landlords name and phone number but makes it clear that he has nothing to do with the bussiness. I guess people are going to be owed money and that could be agro for the former staff.

HOLA4423

I've just done a better analyses of the house price data about Southampton on the up my street website.

As of 31st December 2005 they are back where they were on the 31st December 2004. They are flat.

The price of flats is distorted by the new biuld prices and the cash back and other incentives that register as price paid at land reg. The resale values are lower, as splines analysis has indicated. Volumns are about the same, but slightley down.

In November 2004 rightmove had 31 flats to sale below £80,000 they now have 69 of them. They had 31 flats to let under £400 p/m, they now have 63, double.

I'm going to ask Solvent Celt to investigate the Fox and Sons website situation.

Chow.

deano!

HOLA4424

went to southampton for the day - retail sector is being hit hard it looks like-- (ok it the beginning of carnage)

I went to have a coffee in McDonalds at 7:30ish to end up being dissapointed - and we found it has reduced its opening hours! - it used to open at 6:30am, now its 8am, and also closes earlier.

Heres some shops that I have noticed have closed

Comet - relocating (shock!!)

Dixons - still an empty shop

Index - still an empty unit

Cook and Wash

Timberland

Giavelli

Capo

Qs

Littlewoods

Eisenger

Pine Village

Allsports

Mobile Style

East street shopping mall looks like a ghost town - theres about 3 shops left (though probably due to the location rather than consumer slowdown)

Lots of new flats going up though - that ex BT building is still a shell at time of writing. Will it ever be finished?

capo.JPG

comet.JPG

comet2.JPG

cook_and_wash.JPG

giavelli.JPG

littlewoods.JPG

mobile_style.JPG

qs.JPG

timber.JPG

post-4078-1141840761.jpg

post-4078-1141840793.jpg

post-4078-1141840814.jpg

post-4078-1141840842.jpg

post-4078-1141840916.jpg

post-4078-1141840936.jpg

post-4078-1141840985.jpg

post-4078-1141841009.jpg

post-4078-1141841038.jpg

Edited by notanewmember

HOLA4425

East Street Mall´s future looks bleak. Marlands probably just about hangs on because it´s on route to Asda from town, though not sure about upstairs (that´s where some of your photos are from, right?). When vacancies start appearing in West Quay, that´s when you know things are not going so well.

w.r.t. BT building, is it more flats planned? How are the units already for sale at the end of the Queensway / NY2 / POSH selling?

btp