House Price Crash Forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never been keen on the idea of sleeping in the sitting room. The entrance hallway makes it look as though it's a pleasant enough block. Do you think £50k for a bedsit is a bargain - I guess that's all about conditioning. I would regard a three-bed house at this price a bargain!

Its not about conditioning its what I can afford. Thats if I can get together 5K as a deposit and have a credit indescretion ignored.

UpMyStreet has still not been updated even though its states next update October 2009.

http://www.upmystreet.com/properties/house-prices-in-southampton.html

• 4 weeks later...

Its not about conditioning its what I can afford. Thats if I can get together 5K as a deposit and have a credit indescretion ignored.

UpMyStreet has still not been updated even though its states next update October 2009.

http://www.upmystree...outhampton.html

I'd be in no hurry to buy at the moment. Whilst QE has postponed/lessened the effects I think the landscape will look very different six months on from an election.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We've lost three estate agents from Shirley Road recently. Cubitt & West was one. I think that was part of Countrywide. The others were Destinations and Astons I believe. I haven't looked down London Road.

Happy Days.

• 2 months later...

39 Watts Close Maybush

This is the flat that I'm using as my control. In July 07 it was on at 134,950.

I offered 120k (height of market) but the offer was rejected. I made a second offer of 124,999 during one morning session.

I then discovered HPC during the afternoon and withdrew the offer.

This flat has now been on the market with 5 different Estate Agents. It's going to eventually go for 85k if the vendor is lucky.

If and when I come back to the UK I will take great delight in laughing at Estate Agents and vendor.

As a matter of interest, the lounge was a deep red which actually looked ok but it has been 'paled'.

And here in Moscow, I'm paying (that is to say my company is paying) $3000 dollars a month for a flat. Ouch.

Edited by Live Peasant
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone know how many people the council here in Southampton employs. Well there are to be 300 less shortly. They've been told to save £40 million over 3 years. Here we go.

Anyone know how many people the council here in Southampton employs. Well there are to be 300 less shortly. They've been told to save £40 million over 3 years. Here we go.

no, but the Uni is going through a staff cutting exercise (volunetary so far....).

also cubit and west has gone from bitterne (I used them to buy my flat!)

my position: bought a flat in southampton in 2006 (wonderful timing)....£83,000. No idea what it is now worth market wise (done about £5k work to it). What I believe it to be truely worth is around £60k. So I am going to have to keep hold of it for years to come yet!

Edited by digoutabook
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

39 Watts Close Maybush

This is the flat that I'm using as my control. In July 07 it was on at 134,950.

I offered 120k (height of market) but the offer was rejected. I made a second offer of 124,999 during one morning session.

I then discovered HPC during the afternoon and withdrew the offer.

Not the done thing to reply to your own post but this flat is now on at 117,950.

12%+ down from peak and less than my original offer and still kite flying. Sub 100K here we come.

• 2 months later...

Not much too report. I started this thread as under the name 'deano' like about 5 year ago now and I've noticed postings here by all are less frequent.

On Shirley Road, Alexanders has changed its name to Beals. I think a couple of chancers have an upstart there too. Well I know where that will end...

Rental prices are creeping up. Few can get a mortgage and so demand is up. Once on housing benefits you need a job paying more than 20K to make it worth while and there ain't much of that around.

You all have a nice Christmas now ya hear.

Dean Bartram.

• 5 years later...

I moved away from Southampton in 2011 and it looks like I'll be moving back in a few years. Has Solent University gone bust yet? I thought that might shake out a few BTL landlords in the Polygon.

• 10 months later...
3 minutes ago, Will! said:

Daily Echo 05/04/17:  Job losses loom at Southampton Solent University

Bad news for SSU student landlords.

65 to go.  I've worked there.  Nowhere near working let alone working at a brisk pace.  I think they start there work roster around the students who aren't being paid to be lazy.  Admin is huge, what the hell are they putting on those computer's, about what?

I worked with a female engineer which is a non issue, loads in industry now - they sent her on a course about being an ambassador for females in Engineering and hey presto its suddenly a big issue.

And BTW, she was ******* useless!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TulipsFromThreadneedle said:

Can you give me  link to show me when tax credits are stopping for EUs already here?

There was a uk judgement the other week that confirmed that a parttime eu migrant should not have tax credits.

The uk benefits are complicated as they are non contrib and needs based.

My reading of eu and uk benefjt laws are:

- non uk nationals have no right to hb as they have made themselves homeless by leaving accomidation in their host country.

- non working spouses and children are not entutled to payouts. Uk benefits are based on earning. Non earning family members must be supported by the working family member. Thus would include paying for prjvate gealthcare (this is causing issues with non working oeople right to remian at the mo) plus you need to be putting kids in private schools.

2 hours ago, spyguy said:

There was a uk judgement the other week that confirmed that a parttime eu migrant should not have tax credits.

The uk benefits are complicated as they are non contrib and needs based.

My reading of eu and uk benefjt laws are:

- non uk nationals have no right to hb as they have made themselves homeless by leaving accomidation in their host country.

- non working spouses and children are not entutled to payouts. Uk benefits are based on earning. Non earning family members must be supported by the working family member. Thus would include paying for prjvate gealthcare (this is causing issues with non working oeople right to remian at the mo) plus you need to be putting kids in private schools.

My reading is the can jump off the banana boat get a low paid job and continue to claim nothing has changed in practice. Look bad for precious GDP figures if the recent 250k immigrants didnt come here and do the 12k a year minimum wage jobs .. economy would be 3bln smaller even if they cost the same amount in benefits.

• 2 years later...
11 hours ago, Will! said:

BBC News: On patrol with the public 'policing' their community

I liked living in Southampton, but I used to work in Thornhill and it was rough as f*ck.

I'd challenge that. How long did you work there? I lived in Thornhill once, for 7 years and never had any problems. I'd walk the estate late at night too.

Like any estate it's not without its problems, however it's improved massively in the last 20 years or so. The Lydgate Road side with Hightown looming large is the more dangerous but the Byron Road side is like a typical suburb that side of the water. 

The estate has been well landscaped, it's quite leafy, I mean the area surrounding Bitterne inspired Chris Packham for example. It's quite frankly a world away from the industrial and noisy similarly sized Millbrook estate on the other side of the water. There are also very regular bus services in to the city centre unlike the more affluent West End or Hedge End. It's probably not a good place to bring up kids and sadly some of the locals are not very well educated.

There are plenty of places to buy groceries etc but there's not really much going on in the area, especially given how many pubs have closed over the years. And despite the bypass destroying buildings and slicing Bitterne in half, Bitterne still has more of a village type feel than other parts of Southampton, something I always found quite appealing but it's not something you really notice that much unless you've lived there for a few years. 

I should also add that I attended the odd PACT meeting when I was there and the general consensus of those who attened when surveryed is that they felt safe there. 

Edited by spacedin