House Price Crash Forum

Would Asking People To Take Their Shoes Off For A Viewing Decrease House Prices

HOLA441

It seems a bit weird to me not to take your shoes off when going in to a house, although when I was looking at some one owner seemed (pleasantly) surprised that I did. Not taking shoes off is one of those little things in-built behaviours that make me shake my head sadly when people don't do it (although if I'm outside at home and need something from inside I'll usually not bother; the downstairs isn't carpeted anyway).

Edited by Riedquat

HOLA442
HOLA443

Must be a cultural difference.

I have known anyone take their shoes off in South Wales.

Perhaps our roads are cleaner?

I used to live in south Wales and we always took our shoes off when entering the house. (But I'm not Welsh so maybe a cultural difference :))

I've just sold my house which I had as a new build. The builders assiduously took their boots off if they ever needed to come into the house after I'd moved in (with new carpets). I think it must have been part of their training and drummed into them as not one didn't do it and leave their boots on the step.

The house I'm buying has fitted carpets and the EA asked me to take my shoes off when he took me round (and he took his off). I would have done anyway. It's just good manners in my book. :)

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

A plus if you are ask to take your shoes off....probably indicative of a well cared for house.

Sorry I don't agree, a house is a home not a showhouse....could be the owners are lazy and try to avoid sweeping or cleaning their floors?...nothing wrong with anyone with a clean pair of shoes, ie not muddy or wet entering a home, helps makes people feel more relaxed and welcome unless you have white spotless disinfected carpets.....the decor then becomes more important than the occupants. ;)