House Price Crash Forum

Travis Perkins Issues Warning Over Slowing Demand For Building Supplies

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Too expensive.

I expect toolstation prices will be going up then, not winning the war with screwfix.

Toolstation was formed in 2003 by Mark Goddard-Watts four years after the Goddard-Watts family had sold Screwfix in 1999 to the Kingfisher plc group.

On Monday 7 April 2008, it was announced that Travis Perkins plc had bought a 30% share in Toolstation. Travis Perkins invested in Toolstation and supported an accelerated roll-out of new branches. The Toolstation property portfolio grew from 12 to 123 stores by the end of 2012.

On Tuesday 3 January 2012, Mark Gooddard-Watts and his family sold their remaining 70% stake in the business to Travis Perkins plc, making Toolstation a wholly owned subsidiary of Travis Perkins plc.

I'm confused!

HOLA445

I think they are partly expecting me to plug the gap. I've had a couple of mailshots this month to tempt me back in. Certainly keen on drumming up business.

I look at some of the cost of work nowadays - both to do it and get somebody else in adn I wonder if the build/renovation costs are as out fo kilter with reality as house resale prices. Small extensions at 50K++ with wages in many cases the same as 15/20 years ago when that sum of money would have bought a small hosue outright.

Edited by onlyme2

HOLA446

Toolstation are trucking along fine (now over 200 stores) and still opening new branches every month, can't see price hikes on the horizon from here unless costs were to shoot up. Retail have planned in the living wage by automating systems and not recruiting further staff.

Kingfisher are closing many big B&Q stores and expanding Screwfix rapidly, I read the other week that they plan on opening another 200 stores. I expect to see them expand their click and collect (direct from warehouse) to cover many of B&Q's products, but this is pure speculation based on closing B&Q branches.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Travis Perkins primarily supply the trade with their building material and mostly the major players......as a private punter if you ask for a price it will be way more expensive than Wickes....

If you simply open an account (which anyone can do online) then you automatically get free delivery and 20% off. Which is a much better rate than wandering in off the street!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412