House Price Crash Forum

In Your 40's Seems You May Be "working" Until 70

HOLA441

I have a good mix of 50+ friends from dancing, learning to play instruments down the pub etc. So many are suffering from cancer, buggered legs, simply feeling tired, and mental issues that waiting to 70 to enjoy hobbies is ridiculous. Of cause having lots of hobbies and friends tends to cut through the corporate bs , 'Work Life Balance' mantra.

Stress at work has gone into orbit, a large group of the 35+ workforce was kicked out in my industry at the start of the recession. They replaced them with graduates. After which a new 'Senior' role conjured up for the poor saps that were left. Engineers spending all their time with Clients while you sit in the middle of a cluster F*.

Told a Director I would gladly take a junior role, a measly £4k less to avoid the daily fire fight on a random projects . His eyes popped right out :D.

In the next 12 months I am winding it down, eventually to 3 days a week working for myself. Life is too damn short.

Wow - that's exactly what's happening at my company (one of the biggest IT outsourcers in the world). Anyone with lots of experience and hence a wage that isn't right at the bottom is either CR'd through dubious end of year review scores, or forced to take on a new "Senior" role which isn't really anything to do with their engineering role, and comes with loads more stress, and no benefit.

Those that do go are replaced with grads who, understandably, can't do the tasks they're asked due to lack of experience and mentoring, putting even more stress on the experienced staff.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I have a good mix of 50+ friends from dancing, learning to play instruments down the pub etc. So many are suffering from cancer, buggered legs, simply feeling tired, and mental issues that waiting to 70 to enjoy hobbies is ridiculous. Of cause having lots of hobbies and friends tends to cut through the corporate bs , 'Work Life Balance' mantra.

Stress at work has gone into orbit, a large group of the 35+ workforce was kicked out in my industry at the start of the recession. They replaced them with graduates. After which a new 'Senior' role conjured up for the poor saps that were left. Engineers spending all their time with Clients while you sit in the middle of a cluster F*.

Told a Director I would gladly take a junior role, a measly £4k less to avoid the daily fire fight on a random projects . His eyes popped right out :D.

In the next 12 months I am winding it down, eventually to 3 days a week working for myself. Life is too damn short.

I believe you and your friends are making a common mistake. The government and corporations have no interest in you enjoying life, your hobbies or a retirement - only in maximising your output/contribution to GDP for minimum input without seeming too immoral.

Retirement was invented for those literally too old and knackered to work. The expectation was that most would die before reaching that point - and that if you did somehow retire, you'd quickly shuffle off this mortal coil in a year or two without being too much of a burden on the state.

The present situation of many having decades of comfortable retirement falls into the realm of unintended consequences due to better diets, living/working conditions and healthcare. A retirement age of 70+ rebalances in favour of the original aspiration. It'll cause other problems though

I concur with your point about being a manager/taking on a senior role. The additional amount (£4K is about the same difference for me) is hardly worth - especially as much of the increase will disappear in tax.

HOLA445

My understanding of it is that your pre 2016 contributions get you a "baseline" amount (which is the higher of what those contributions get you under the current system or the new system) Then the post 2016 contributions get added to that.

I'm in the process of getting a pension statement which should help me get a better understanding of it. I believe that you can now get statements if you're under 55 (I'm 39) I went on their website today and registered (giving my date of birth) and they're sending me an activation code.

I've now got a state pension statement.

It seems they'll now give one to anybody over 16.

HOLA446

I am starting to wonder If I would be better off retiring later than I had planed but only earn £6000 a year. Taking it that I live 20 years in to retirement for every year I work I get an extra £4274.

HOLA447
HOLA448

I am starting to wonder If I would be better off retiring later than I had planed but only earn £6000 a year. Taking it that I live 20 years in to retirement for every year I work I get an extra £4274

....do you mean working two days (or less than what used to) a week for longer, getting gradually used to working less in main profession over a longer period of time....a kind of pension wind down/draw down.......far better idea than working 40 hours a week to a set date in future to suddenly stop, to then work zero hours a week....not good for health or well-being....always keeping your toe in the water. ;)

HOLA449

Wow - that's exactly what's happening at my company (one of the biggest IT outsourcers in the world). Anyone with lots of experience and hence a wage that isn't right at the bottom is either CR'd through dubious end of year review scores, or forced to take on a new "Senior" role which isn't really anything to do with their engineering role, and comes with loads more stress, and no benefit.

Those that do go are replaced with grads who, understandably, can't do the tasks they're asked due to lack of experience and mentoring, putting even more stress on the experienced staff.

This is exactly what my wife does... changes someone's job spec, increases their workload and performance manages them out of the business. They invariably end up on the sick thinking this is their only safe refuge but actually this has the opposite effect and hastens their exit without passing go sorry your leaving cards around former colleagues and having awkward leaving parties.

My days are numbered as husband #1 and I expect the same ruthless efficiency will be applied to me eventually.

Edit: 'Sorry you're leaving parties'

Edited by longtomsilver

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Sorry gt3, I don`t understand.

I was opted out of serps with my works pension. So my pension when I reach 55 maybe say £120 instead of the full £144.

with the new rules for every year I work I get an extra £4.11 added to my pension so another 6 years of working would bring me up to full state pension. You have to earn around £5700 a year to qualify as having worked I don't see much point earning more than this.

HOLA4412

This is exactly what my wife does... changes someone's job spec, increases their workload and performance manages them out of the business. They invariably end up on the sick thinking this is their only safe refuge but actually this has the opposite effect and hastens their exit without passing go sorry your leaving cards around former colleagues and having awkward leaving parties.

My days are numbered as husband #1 and I expect the same ruthless efficiency will be applied to me eventually.

Edit: 'Sorry you're leaving parties'

Sounds like she has the confidence of ignorance. Can't really add much value.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Bloody hell! (Longtom....)

What are you going to do?

Surely your wife (though a bitch!) is under quite a bit of stress herself?

I'm holding on for my children and pension. I figured the children are better off as a family and for every two years we are together that's ~1month every year I'll never have to work again (interest from money in the bank). Her job is incredibly stressful and she needs me to manage the kids for now.