House Price Crash Forum

Economists Forecasting Deflation In Tomorrow's Cpi Release

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Shrinkflation has always been with us.

In the 1959 film, 'I'm Alright Jack', a soap powder manufacturer boasts how they sell two brands of identical soap powder and identical weight, an 'economy' brand and a 'prestige' brand. The only difference is that the 'prestige' brand is simply packaged in a larger box, and sold for a higher price.

Of course, if you opt out of buying processed/prepackaged stuff as much as possible, it doesn't affect you so much.

HOLA444

@George_Osborne

Our plan for working people gets another boost today with good news for family budgets - Inflation at zero for second month in a row.

That'll be the zero inflation "plan" that isn't included in the official BoE inflation remit. If it's such a plan then reduce the remit figure.

HOLA445

WTF does it all mean though? So zero inflation (of this 'type' according to Carney) is GOOD at the moment. But the arbitary 2% is the target from either side now? I thought the aim was to get below 2%. Apparently someone made 2% up a while back, drunk in Switzerland or something. At a big meeting.

It's like 1984.

As far as I can make out

1.we are in a period of stagnation or decline brought about by paying back all the debt we accumulated during the golden years of Brown and Blair.

2.No one has any money because of global wage arbitrage, exorbitant rents / house prices and Zero hours contracts.

3.House prices keep rising to support GDP.

4.Productivity is continually falling just because we pump money into zombie banks etc. The papers run laughable articles every so often trying to persuade us it's because workers don't get up early enough, don't do yoga, Brits are lazy etc etc etc.

5. Immigration ponzi is the last hope!!

6. The serious money doesn't have to pay tax anymore a la Google.

7. Housing benefit lol.

Which makes Osborne's tweet all the more pathetic, and Carney's a tosser. Thanks.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

1.we are in a period of stagnation or decline brought about by paying back all the debt we accumulated during the golden years of Brown and Blair.

2.No one has any money because of global wage arbitrage, exorbitant rents / house prices and Zero hours contracts.

3.House prices keep rising to support GDP.

4.Productivity is continually falling just because we pump money into zombie banks etc. The papers run laughable articles every so often trying to persuade us it's because workers don't get up early enough, don't do yoga, Brits are lazy etc etc etc.

5. Immigration ponzi is the last hope!!

6. The serious money doesn't have to pay tax anymore a la Google.

7. Housing benefit lol.

That's how I see it, and how most members here (I'd venture) see it.

The desperation from Osborne in spinning absolutely every single piece of economic news as "good" is also a tell.