House Price Crash Forum

Torygraph Shoe Shine Moment?

HOLA441
HOLA442

On HPC calling the 'shoe shine moment' has been as prolific and effective a contra indicator as the notorious 'black xxxday' threads.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/house-prices/11478240/The-UK-homes-earning-more-money-than-their-owners.html

UK Houses earning more than their owners? The previous crash happened just seven years ago and it isn't even a folk memory to these people! I can't begin to describe how much I loathe and despise the British.

HOLA443

Frankly I`m passed caring. Benefits + a small amount of my savings will see me through to retirement age....and without me doing a stroke of work.

10 years to go...10 years of paying council rent equals 25,000. (no that`s not 250,000!)

Anyway, we all die in the end, even us members of the anti-elite.

Edit,,,my wife pays half the rent.

Edited by council dweller

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

A new Kawasaki as mentioned.

Also I did hang around in Japan for many years which taught me a couple of things. Number one...house prices never go up. Number two....save like a nutter (if you find you don't need it you can always buy a Kawasaki or two. Number three (I`m rollin`) Never underestimate the attraction of young girls.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Certainly where I am (Northampton), mortgage-debt-smugness is manifested in certain grating ways. One of them being condescension when I mention I rent. It's like "awwww, bless". Or...actually worse - when they get all expansive in discussion about finances - as if mortgage-debt-burden is a stage of enlightenment I've yet to attain.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
You can't eat bricks, but they don't half make you feel smug,

Smug!?

In a strange way....yes.

I let it go over my head.....whoosh it goes!!

:)

Just to be clear - I was talking about the smugness some home owners / money-borrowers can feel when they see their house prices have theoretically gone up in value. It seems to be surrogate feeling for actually making things / bettering your life in tangible ways these days.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Certainly where I am (Northampton), mortgage-debt-smugness is manifested in certain grating ways. One of them being condescension when I mention I rent. It's like "awwww, bless". Or...actually worse - when they get all expansive in discussion about finances - as if mortgage-debt-burden is a stage of enlightenment I've yet to attain.

Reminds of a quote I read recently- " Two years ago I was a nobody- now I owe 2 million dollars!" This bizzare pride in being massively indebted as if the ability to borrow were a form of character reference, something to brag about.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Reminds of a quote I read recently- " Two years ago I was a nobody- now I owe 2 million dollars!" This bizzare pride in being massively indebted as if the ability to borrow were a form of character reference, something to brag about.

IMO, most people have no idea of the concept of net worth nowadays. All that matters is what you 'own', regardless of how much debt you are in.

Eg, for most of society, except the very rich and very poor, debt was utterly taboo. Saying you were in debt was about as popular as saying you were a racist would be today. Then in the 30s mortgages and HP came along, and by the 70s had become respectable (HP changed to credit cards). However, cc debts were small, as were mortgages; the latter being seen as a sensible alternative to renting.

Fast forward to today and almost everything is on the never never - houses, cars, even phones, FFS.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Yes, the place if full of uber-smug ******tards, especially in the souless estates clustered around a Waitrose near the M1.