House Price Crash Forum

Pub Landlord Al Murray On His Election Strategy, To Stand Against Farage

HOLA441

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2015/jan/18/pub-landlord-al-murray-election-strategy-drink-nigel-farage-william-hague-under-the-table

If you get to Westminster, which of your fellow MPs would you want on a pub quiz team?

Jonathan Freedland, executive editor, opinion

Tricky. Pub quiz teams require an all-round knowledge of the outside world, so putting a team of MPs together won’t be easy. Obviously different MPs would bring different things to the table – David Cameron might be handy on Carlton TV sitcoms of the 90s but that’s never going to come up; no one remembers The Upper Hand. George Osborne’s fantastical imagination – the lad’s a dreamer, you have to admire that in someone – wouldn’t be any use to a pub quiz team. Also it’s a shame David “Two Brains” Willetts is leaving the Commons as, by the sounds of him, he’d be handy. So I’d be working with what’s in front of me, in which case – Michael Gove, because he seems to think he’s right about everything; Tristram Hunt for history (though him and Gove would have to behave); Danny Alexander, because he won’t be out of his depth for a change; and if he gets elected, Boris Johnson as a ringer for any questions about Latin.

Who do you think would win in a three-way lager-off – you, William Hague or Nigel Farage?

Peter Bradshaw, chief film critic

These men are amateurs. The drinking itself wouldn’t be a challenge – in fact, I’d say there isn’t a table in the land I couldn’t drink them under. No, it’s the company that would be an issue. You’d have Farage pretending he’s not a public-school stockbroker and actually some sort of man of the people – and what sort of muppet pretends to be someone they’re not, eh? I ask you. And then Hague droning on and on about the time he met Angelina Jolie. No thanks.

Ukip’s sole education policy is to ensure a grammar school in every town. What do FUKP have planned?

Richard Adams, education editor

Well, famously, Tony Blair said “education, education, education”. We in FUKP say “education, education, education, education, education, education, education, education, education, education, education”, which is eight more educations than he ever said. As for this grammar-schools plan: why does Ukip want only grammar taught in schools? That’s a backwards step. What of spelling? Maths? Science? Yet another unrealistic policy from an out-of-touch party. Thanks a lot, Nige.

Will you support further cuts of £12bn to the welfare bill, promised by George Osborne if he wins the election?

Amelia Gentleman, social affairs writer

I don’t think he’s gone far enough – he needs to send out a much clearer message. George should change the name of benefits to Scrounge Credits. And that’s the problem with these Tories, they’re out of touch with the real world. When has Osborne had to work for cash because he’s claiming for a bad back? Never. It’s obvious though that the next chancellor is going to need to borrow more to get us out of debt.

The countries fecked but at least this might prove to be a bit of an entertaining election if the Pub landlord goes for it fully.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest TheBlueCat

Who?? David Cameron or George Osborne?

Al Murray - Oxford

David Cameron - Oxford

George Osborne - Oxford

Ed Miliband - Oxford

Ed Balls - Oxford

Nigel Farage didn't go to university, although he did go to Dulwich College.

edit to add:

Nick Clegg - Cambridge

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest TheBlueCat

neither of which will be looking or sounding quite so smug when bez stands for mayor of manchester and wins.

I'd vote for that. Having a stoned out of his head nutbar running around waving his arms randomly whilst hitting a tambourine would bring some long needed seriousness to political discourse in the UK.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Oxbridge graduate who makes a living laughing at the working classes and their concerns.

Murray was born at Stewkley, Buckinghamshire, only son of Lieutenant Colonel Ingram Bernard Hay Murray (a great-great-great-great-grandson of John, 3rd Duke of Atholl, who married Charlotte, Baroness Strange), by his wife Juliet Anne Thackeray, née Ritchie (a great-great-granddaughter of the celebrated novelist William Makepeace Thackeray).[2] His grandfather, the former British ambassador Sir Ralph Murray,[3] was of Scottish aristocracy and married into the von Kuenburg family,[4] nobility of the Holy Roman Empire. His third cousin[5] is Sir Edward Leigh MP and his patrilineal great-great-grandfather, Dr George Murray, was Bishop of Rochester.[6] Al Murray is in remainder both to English and Scottish peerage titles, including the barony of Strange and the dukedom of Atholl.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Murray

A veritable horny handed son of toil

The problem with tossers like Murray is that they violate the first law of comedy which is that if you want to crack meaningful gags about a particular section of society then you really have to belong to it. Also that pub landlord schtick is looking really tired particularly as most of the old working class boozers have shut during the recession.

HOLA4413
Also that pub landlord schtick is looking really tired particularly as most of the old working class boozers have shut during the recession.

I first saw it in the mid-90s in a comedy club near Hampton Ct (maybe Murray has grace and favour apartments in Hampton Ct?) and it wore pretty thin after a few minutes to be fair.

HOLA4414

The problem with tossers like Murray is that they violate the first law of comedy which is that if you want to crack meaningful gags about a particular section of society then you really have to belong to it. Also that pub landlord schtick is looking really tired particularly as most of the old working class boozers have shut during the recession.

So a worthy opponent for the meeja's favourite overprivileged toff with a pint he's standing against.

HOLA4415

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Murray

Also that pub landlord schtick is looking really tired particularly as most of the old working class boozers have shut during the recession.

Exactly what I was thinking. My initial thought was no-one under 30 would have even patronised an old style boozer with a blazer wearing landlord holding court but, thinking about it, I bet it's more like under 40.

Wonder if Dapper Laughs will stand against Harriet Harman in her constituency?

HOLA4416

So a worthy opponent for the meeja's favourite overprivileged toff with a pint he's standing against.

Farage has his own Bridge In Brooklyn he is trying to peddle to the masses but at least he is not pretending to be working class. Murray's act is just as embarrassing and patronising as all those 1970 northern club comics send ups of ethnic minorities. The sad thing is he has been able to flog this hackneyed old crap for so long. Quite why some people take this attempt to use a General Election to promote his act more seriously than Screaming Lord Sutch's efforts to do the same thing for his music shows from the 1960s onwards is beyond me.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

next jokes about blondes will be condemned because the comedian isnt blonde.

Why are jokes about blondes acceptable and jokes about blacks and Pakistanis not. Most jokes about stupid blondes are just tired old retreads of the pathetic dumb 'Paddy' jokes trotted out in the past. Would you be happy about similar jokes about blacks being full of references to them eating fried chicken and water melon ? The same logic of easy stereotypes underlies them all. Great comedy requires genuine insight into what is being sent up which usually only comes from those who have walked at least part of the way in the shoes of their subjects. Dave Allen was able to send up the Catholic Church because he was brought up a Roman Catholic and knew it well. The same gags being told by Ian Paisley simply would not have been funny. Murray is not even in that league. Comedy has worth when it challenges social or cultural stereotypes or challenges the edifices of political, economic, religious or cultural power. When it simply reinforces the status quo it is an engine of oppression. In my view most modern comics play are only daring by ommission and play it very safe by only choosing topics they know are approved by the broadcast media. With rare exceptions are either hypocrites or cowards. No wonder I don't get to laugh much nowadays.

HOLA4419

comedy can only work if there is some commonality in the tellers story and the experience of the audience.

Stereotypes are a hard wired psychological conditioning to help in the survival of the person, ie, learning by experience.

Which of these facts are you trying to deny in a politically correct way?

HOLA4420

comedy can only work if there is some commonality in the tellers story and the experience of the audience.

Stereotypes are a hard wired psychological conditioning to help in the survival of the person, ie, learning by experience.

Which of these facts are you trying to deny in a politically correct way?

Political correctness is exactly the cowardice and conformity I am having a pop at. The problem is not stereotypes are used but that only certain stereotypes are acceptable. The rest are banned. What most modern PC comedy has done is simply replace one load of hackneyed stereotypes used by working classs comics with another lot which they find more to their middle class taste. The logic underlying the comedy has not really changed. In that respect. Murray is as safe and establishment as Jimmy Tarbuck was in the past. He really is the comic equivalent of David Cameron or George Osborne. Indeed, he is part of that public school takeover of mainstream British cultural life which Chris Bryant identified He is essentially saying don't worry about those people in South Thanet who are under the economic cosh and might be tempted to vote for UKIP because they are desperate about their position or the state of the UK because they are just thick proles. The man has not offered a single answer to those voters problems so he just wants to get a cheap laugh at their expense. Pathetic.

HOLA4421

Political correctness is exactly the cowardice and conformity I am having a pop at. The problem is not stereotypes are used but that only certain stereotypes are acceptable. The rest are banned. What most modern PC comedy has done is simply replace one load of hackneyed stereotypes used by working classs comics with another lot which they find more to their middle class taste. The logic underlying the comedy has not really changed. In that respect. Murray is as safe and establishment as Jimmy Tarbuck was in the past. He really is the comic equivalent of David Cameron or George Osborne. Indeed, he is part of that public school takeover of mainstream British cultural life which Chris Bryant identified He is essentially saying don't worry about those people in South Thanet who are under the economic cosh and might be tempted to vote for UKIP because they are desperate about their position or the state of the UK because they are just thick proles. The man has not offered a single answer to those voters problems so he just wants to get a cheap laugh at their expense. Pathetic.

Bernard Manning was the true alternative comedian. eg.

HOLA4422

+1

Funny how no one stands on a stage taking the piss out of Muslims shooting people for drawing pictures, or blowing themselves up for a bit of nookie in the afterlife.

The white, British working class. The 21st century n****r.

HOLA4423

Political correctness is exactly the cowardice and conformity I am having a pop at.

Who's being Politically Correct in this thread?

The whole joke here is that they're two of a kind.

Except that one of them is pumped up and dangerous, while the other is a send-up. Like Chaplin to the Great Dictator.

HOLA4424

the issue is that certain stereotypes are funny, and others are not.

Most cultures have a "dumb" characature, we have had blondes, Irish, Essex Girls, and the particular one to scratch the funny bone changes over time.

PC makes it awkward to laugh at funny situations about disabled, war, terrorism, whatever cause is fashionable today. My point was that people here are saying the Pub Landlord is not funny or relevant because A: he isnt a working class lad and B: he isnt a pub landlord.

Who is todays target of jokes? It seems there is a pressure group to make everyone serious and miserable.

In my old job, the forces and other professions, they have a right laugh, at people who are victims of their sorry situations...if they didnt, they would go madder than they already do.

But laughing with a man with two legs blown off is considered the worst of taste in people who have never, and are likely never to be in that situation. Lord knows why they feel so guilty...ah, I know...Political Correctness.

HOLA4425

+1

Funny how no one stands on a stage taking the piss out of Muslims shooting people for drawing pictures, or blowing themselves up for a bit of nookie in the afterlife.

The white, British working class. The 21st century n****r.

why not?...because we have a bit of guilt about it?

Archived