House Price Crash Forum

Gchq More Dangerous To Privacy Than Nsa

Errol

HOLA441

GCHQ more dangerous to privacy than NSA – Snowden

Edward Snowden has warned that Britain’s GCHQ spy agency is a bigger threat to privacy than the NSA, as it uses illegally collected information in criminal prosecutions and, unlike in the US, has relatively few constitutional checks on its activities

In an answer to a question at the event, a central London ‘Observer Ideas’ festival organized by The Guardian, Snowden said that the GCHQ uses “unlawfully collected information to pursue criminal prosecutions…to share with other countries, where they will use foreign intelligence powers to gather information that’s then used for law enforcement purposes – and this is very dangerous.”

When citizens “don’t have the opportunity to challenge [such evidence] in courts – judges aren’t aware where this evidence originated from – it undermines the system of laws, the system of justice… upon which we all rely,” Snowden said.

http://rt.com/uk/195416-snowden-gchq-nsa-privacy-rights/

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Do bears poo in the woods? The biggest danger to your life and liberty are the likes of Charles Farr and his ilk who will be once again trying to railroad the govt into allowing snooping on a scale the East German government could only have dreamt of.

I'm reminded of Nassim Taleb's 'round trip fallacy'. If it is stated that 'most terrorists are Moslem', the government can rely on enough people reversing the logic and assuming most Moslems are terrorists. They don't even need the Daily Mail to misstate the case!

This same poisonous 'logic' allows the government to justify vast numbers of poor quality CCTV as a substitute for a proper police presence. Or the application of anti money laundering rules that only apply to law abiding citizens going about their lawful business.

HOLA443
  • 5 months later...
HOLA444

GCHQ empowered to hack any device anywhere without terrorist, criminal threat – UK court doc

The government has admitted to possessing far-reaching hacking powers to break into computers, phones and communications networks anywhere across the globe in the absence of national security and criminal threats, a court document reveals.

http://rt.com/uk/241561-hacking-mass-surveillance-gchq/

HOLA445
HOLA446

Facebook is worse.

Facebook is just an NSA front.

And I am sure that both the NSA and GCHQ get round any legal constraints on spying on their own citizens by simply spying on each other's citizens and sharing the info. Possibly the prime purpose of the 'Five Eyes' arrangement.

HOLA447

We live in a democracy and most people dont care. Look at how disgracefully the daily mail frames it...and how many in the comments section fall for it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2992642/Even-collecting-data-stops-terror-plots-s-wrong-says-Liberty-Human-rights-group-criticised-unacceptable-comments.html

The idea that monitoring every email, given the sheer amount of our online traffic, will ever help them narrow down a terror plot is laughable enough. Its a shame Ms Sankey even gives credence to the idea. It will not stop one terror plot. Personally, given the revelations of the good intelligence the US had before WTC 93, 9/11 and the boston bombings...i personally doubt they even want to stop such attacks. On the contrary, the government beg for them. A good excuse to ramp up defense spending, to crush liberty, and to distract from their plunder.

HOLA448

I think the idea that terrorists or organised criminals use mobile phones or email/internet to plan their operations is really hilarious.

EVERYONE knows that every single communication by the above methods is tracked/traced/monitored.

I'm prepared to bet that the 'serious' terrorists are now communicating at one to one meetings in the middle of parks or passing each other hand writting coded messages etc. Many of them are highly educated and it beggars belief that they would still be stupid enough to use an obviously monitored form of communication.

I know I woudn't.

HOLA449

I think the idea that terrorists or organised criminals use mobile phones or email/internet to plan their operations is really hilarious.

EVERYONE knows that every single communication by the above methods is tracked/traced/monitored.

I'm prepared to bet that the 'serious' terrorists are now communicating at one to one meetings in the middle of parks or passing each other hand writting coded messages etc. Many of them are highly educated and it beggars belief that they would still be stupid enough to use an obviously monitored form of communication.

I know I woudn't.

Yep. You'd have to be blind not to see how the police and so called 'security' services (ie thugs with uniforms) are replacing the war on drugs part of the overall war on freedom with the war on free thought.

This is simply to prosecute more people with opinions the government finds unhelpful to their totalitarian agenda.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4410

Pressure builds on GCHQ as NGOs challenge mass surveillance in European court

A group of leading human rights NGOs in Britain are taking the UK government to the European Court of Human Rights over invasive mass surveillance practices they warn violate Britons’ right to privacy and freedom of expression.

http://rt.com/uk/248545-human-rights-surveillance-britain/

• 1 month later...
HOLA4411

In light of the GCHQ/NSA behaviour, this scares me more than anything else:

Screen-Shot-2015-05-14-at-11.52.20-AM-10

This statement, and others like it, are a huge deal. This isn’t how the leader of a major civilized Western so-called “democracy” speaks to the citizenry. It is how a master talks to his slaves. How a ruler addresses his subjects.

The measures would give the police powers to apply to the high court for an order to limit the “harmful activities” of an extremist individual. The definition of harmful is to include a risk of public disorder, a risk of harassment, alarm or distress or creating a “threat to the functioning of democracy”.

They would include a ban on broadcasting and a requirement to submit to the police in advance any proposed publication on the web and social media or in print. The bill will also contain plans for banning orders for extremist organizations which seek to undermine democracy or use hate speech in public places, but it will fall short of banning on the grounds of provoking hatred.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-05-15/uk-pm-david-cameron-proclaims-it%E2%80%99s-not-enough-follow-law-you-must-love-big-brother

HOLA4412

This statement, and others like it, are a huge deal. This isn’t how the leader of a major civilized Western so-called “democracy” speaks to the citizenry. It is how a master talks to his slaves. How a ruler addresses his subjects.

The measures would give the police powers to apply to the high court for an order to limit the “harmful activities” of an extremist individual. The definition of harmful is to include a risk of public disorder, a risk of harassment, alarm or distress or creating a “threat to the functioning of democracy”.

They would include a ban on broadcasting and a requirement to submit to the police in advance any proposed publication on the web and social media or in print. The bill will also contain plans for banning orders for extremist organizations which seek to undermine democracy or use hate speech in public places, but it will fall short of banning on the grounds of provoking hatred.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-05-15/uk-pm-david-cameron-proclaims-it%E2%80%99s-not-enough-follow-law-you-must-love-big-brother

Even in the qualifying context of the rest of Cameron's (proposed?) speech, his words are chilling.

Weasel-words like "risk of harassment" are the excuses of tyrants.

The USA seems to be descending rapidly into fascism, and Cameron wants the UK to follow. He's just another Blair.

HOLA4413

We will all have to go back to "number stations"! Or maybe encoded messages on post cards?

HOLA4414

We will all have to go back to "number stations"! Or maybe encoded messages on post cards?

Except that if you have anything encrypted and don't hand over the decryption key you can be locked up. Apparently that still applies if you don't have the key (after all you could be fibbing).

http://falkvinge.net/2012/07/12/in-the-uk-you-will-go-to-jail-not-just-for-encryption-but-for-astronomical-noise-too/

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/23/section/53

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

War is peace. Especially when it's perpetual kleptocracy make-believe, and so far most people seem to buy it.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

That was you too?

I had to write to the Editor and explain that I was 'feeling better'.

A "fake resurrection" announced in The TImes would go unnoticed?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

That looks sinister.

We are all living in a novel by George Orwell.

GCHQ’s Rainbow Lights: Exploiting Social Issues for Militarism and Imperialism

Over the weekend, the British surveillance agency GCHQ — the most extremist and invasive in the West — bathed its futuristic headquarters with rainbow-colored lights “as a symbol of the intelligence agency’s commitment to diversity” and to express solidarity with “International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia.” GCHQ’s public affairs office proudly distributed the above photograph to media outlets

This is so very moving. Gay Brits are now just as free as everyone else to spy on people, covertly disseminate state propaganda, and destroy online privacy. Whatever your views on all this nasty surveillance business might be, how can you not feel good about GCHQ when it drapes itself in the colors of LGBT equality?

This is all a stark illustration of what has become a deeply cynical but highly effective tactic. Support for institutions of militarism and policies of imperialism is now manufactured by parading them under the emotionally manipulative banners of progressive social causes.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/05/18/exploitation-social-issues-generate-support-militarism-imperialism/

HOLA4423

That looks sinister.

We are all living in a novel by George Orwell.

1984 has recently been edited and is now a cookery/baking book. Cupcakes are peace etc etc

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived