House Price Crash Forum

After Life - Does It Exist ?

Ill_handle_it

HOLA441

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protagoras

"man is the measure of all things"....taken to mean that there is no absolute truth, but for me I think it is more accurately described that our inner instincts affect our measure of the world around us from taste, smell, beauty etc. where our senses perceive the world and we overlay our values on it.

I think another lens we view world in is through our "instinct for god" and how we frame a story to prevent self destructive hopelessness.

Interesting.... :rolleyes:

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

You've spoiled everything now!!

Maybe it was as simple as that, but it was well into the late hours, and they didn't have crash helmets.

Anyway I'd like a few more "before death" experiences, before I start worrying about a post Pin world.

HOLA444

I

Are you saying consciousness continues after brain death? If so where is your proof? I accept that after death everything decays, thus is changed, as part of the natural cycle of all things.

Is Christianity just the same as all other beliefs? A palliative that Man derived to cope with the foregoing.

When we look at the beliefs and elaborate death rituals of the Egyptians, the polytheistic pre Christian Romans etc, is Christianity just a set of beliefs that somehow survived the passage of time, whereas the others did not?

If there is existence after death why has there been no scientifically proven communication between the two existences? All those really extraordinary brains on both sides have not been able to devise a method. Is there some immutable law that cannot be breached?

If there is a supreme being why do they not just talk to us in a straightforward and unambiguous way, without the need for riddles, puzzles, sacrifice, blood, weird men, interpretive problems, death and destruction etc etc? It virtually boils down to modern Man trying to understand and interpret the words of a stone age culture, and claim relevance thousands of years later!

If the Egyptian beliefs had survived due to political intervention at an important point in history, would we still be building pyramids and gutting and embalming our dead etc?

I didnt say consciousness goes on.

I said whatever is you is neither gained nor lost...we are stardust...Watching my grandson slowly become self aware, there was no moment when a soul was placed in him...his brain is clearly learning his body, he is aware of others and their reactions to him moving bits of his body, emotions are beginning to form.

My mystery is simply how is it that you are conscious in you, and nowhere else...consciousness seems common enough, but to make you you is a strange one...there has to be a you in everyone.

HOLA445

I

Interesting.... :rolleyes:

Instinct for god, more commonly known as the "God of the Gaps"...if it cant be explained, their is proof of God. ie a gap in our knowledge is prove.

The God of the Gaps used to be very powerful.

HOLA446

I

I said whatever is you is neither gained nor lost...we are stardust...Watching my grandson slowly become self aware, there was no moment when a soul was placed in him...his brain is clearly learning his body, he is aware of others and their reactions to him moving bits of his body, emotions are beginning to form.

My mystery is simply how is it that you are conscious in you, and nowhere else...consciousness seems common enough, but to make you you is a strange one...there has to be a you in everyone.

."..there has to be a you in everyone"...............................................far too esoteric for me, I'm afraid.

From my simple mind...............................when a brain dies, that is it, end of, no more thought processes or activities of any kind. My tissue will degenerate and atomise in time, and may/will be incorporated in other organisms including humans.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

You, and your consciousness are a product of the natural universe...A brain was required to make you into something self aware.

After your brain dies, you will go somewhere, for in the universe, nothing was created or lost, simply changed.

Christianity or any other book not required.

Isn't that the Law of Conservation of Matter?

HOLA4410

I

Ever wondered what it must be like to be in someone else's brain for a day...or do a swap?

Some might like to go back in time for a day, or into the future for a day. ;)

Archived