House Price Crash Forum

Woodford Aerodrome Plans For 950 Homes Approved

rabh

HOLA441

It appears the plans to redevelop the Woodford aerodrome site have been approved by the council, resulting in nearly 1000 homes coming to the area: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-28557323

Curious how this will affect the market in that part of town. The plans span 10 years, so I guess it's too soon to tell. As somebody considering buying in the Handforth/Wilmslow/Bramhall area in the very near future, I'm wondering how an extra 1000 homes might change the area.

What are people thoughts on the news?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

B'hall and Poynton is around 40,000 residents I think, so if there were avg 4 per home, say 4,000 or 10% inc. over 10 yrs, or 1% p.a. in what is let's face it a sought after area.

Dairyground, N'house Farm, Little Australia developments all increased supply, so I dare say this will have a similar effect to each of those.

Won't do anything for traffic congestion, but local businesses ought to benefit.

Additional supply has got to be a positive for anyone looking for a home. Let's hope 'Harrow Estates' know how to build good quality houses (Never heard of them)

HOLA445
HOLA446

BAE did the same to it's Hatfield site and now there's lots of grim soulless 'properties' on roads named after the 'heritage' products they used to make:

"Mosquito Way" - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29799099.html

What do all these people do for jobs? Bulldozing factories to make way for houses - seems crazy?!

Cleaners, gardeners, childminders car valeters, tech 'gurus'.

HOLA447
HOLA448

BAE did the same to it's Hatfield site and now there's lots of grim soulless 'properties' on roads named after the 'heritage' products they used to make:

"Mosquito Way" - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29799099.html

What do all these people do for jobs? Bulldozing factories to make way for houses - seems crazy?!

That occurred to me, used to live in the Budenberg development of converted factories. But the way I phrase it, is what space do they occupy at work? All working space is being converted to living space for the growing population. If we ever had to go back to an industrial employment situation (because, for instance, the country was bankrupt) they would have to dig up huge swathes of countryside to build the new factories.

HOLA449

That occurred to me, used to live in the Budenberg development of converted factories. But the way I phrase it, is what space do they occupy at work? All working space is being converted to living space for the growing population. If we ever had to go back to an industrial employment situation (because, for instance, the country was bankrupt) they would have to dig up huge swathes of countryside to build the new factories.

or just redevelop old Tesco store sites when they've gone bust.

HOLA4410
  • 3 months later...
HOLA4411

Letter just received, from Mary Robinson, Conservative Parliamentary candidate for Cheadle.

First part goes on about residents being worried about the problem of speeding, working with community groups and police to tackle. (I've not noticed speeding issues, and one of the two roads they name is full of speed-bumps. Second part is about traffic and being in favour of a new relief road estimated at £290m - I am in favour of it too, but not at that price. A more substantial and complex relief road it would connect up with, cost around £100m (iirc) in 1995-96.

Caring for our green spaces is also vitally important and we are continuing the fight to stop even more over development ruining our green belt land. The Conservatives have demanded the Lib Dem decision to allow the building of 920 houses at the Woodford BAE site is called in and scrutinised by the Secretary of State. We will be supporting local people in their fight against overdevelopment.

In addition there are also plans for a further 500 homes at Handforth and another 1800 near Cheadle. It is essential residents are kept fully informed about these plans on Cheadle's doorstep.

HOLA4412

This is the mailing address given for her at the end of the letter. (It also lists her email, facebook, phone, twitter)

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/hilltop-farm/chester-road/woodford/stockport/sk7-1ps/3373020

Archived listing from December 2013, (but no record of previous sold price)

Behold the locked in House Price Inflation.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/hilltop-farm/chester-road/woodford/stockport/sk7-1ps/3373020