House Price Crash Forum

Are Morrison's Doing A Tesco? Not Cheaper And Quality Going Down Rapidly

HOLA441

I wonder if it's me being grumpy.

Morrison's cheaper campaign is for me, more expensive. The multibuys of tinned soups are gone having been replaced by a nominal price cut of 5p per can. So my 5 for 2 quid is now approx 2.50.

Veg was rubbish yesterday, fruit bruised and nasty, bread aisle half stocked etc.

This has an echo of Tesco a few years ago when they tried to increase profit by such trickery and poor produce being left on the shelves.

I really like Morrison's but will become a full-time Aldi/Lidl man if it continues.

Anyone else?

HOLA442

Not been in a Morrisons for ages bt if they go down this road it doesn't bold well for their business.

On a side note, I popped into tescos today to get some value soya milk which has been 59p for as long as I can remember and it seems that they had put the price up to 75p! Big jump for such a basic item. It was a smaller tescos so I'll double check the next time I'm in a big one!

HOLA443
HOLA444

Morrisons around here is the best of the supermarkets (ahead of, in order, Asda, Lidl, Sainsburys, Coop, being all the supermarkets within my shopping radius from home).

In another part of the country where I've had occasion to shop in recent months, I went into the local Morrisons once and came out saying never again. There Tesco is good (provided I avoid the busiest times).

For all that we think of supermarkets as representing bland uniformity, they can differ quite a lot from place to place. What you get is not what I get, unless by coincidence.

HOLA445

Always go to my local smaller Morrisons store at 12.30pm on a monday.The butcher reduces the meat then.Today lots of packs of 3 large chicken breasts reduced to £2.50.They are £5 or 2 for £7.50 without day of date reduction.However at the till if you get two packs it still takes off £2.50 as it would if you bought 2 packs for the £7.50.

So that means you get 2 packs when reduced for £2.50 instead of £7.50.40p per large fresh no water chicken breast.

The greengrocers near me also has 25kg bags of new potatoes at £6,top quality as well.

Im finding iv about got our food bill down to £25-£30 a week now (for 2) and thats with good quality meat/poultry.

I still think Morrisons is better placed than Tesco in the medium term owning its stores (Tesco pays rent on theirs).

HOLA446

I'm finding the local Afro Caribbean shop a little gem for certain odd ball gems like Coconut milk and oil.

For example the cheapest coconut oil in Alda was about £1 a can, but can easily be £1.50 or more.

0.69 for premium quality in the Afro Caribbean shop. So if you use a supermarket as a 'one stop shop' for convenience you are going to get ripped.

Mind even the farm shops are able to undercut the supermarkets on certain staple items like tea bags and coffee etc.

Not sure 'big box economics' is working for the consumer at all. Its destroyed an awful lot of choice.

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA447

I mainly dislike supermarket fruit and veg......it may all look nice and perfect in shape and colour nice and clean looking but the flavour so often and more often is much to be desired....I have come to the conclusion that the viarities they choose is mainly for looks and shelf life.....some carrots I bought the other day were absolutely tasteless, tomatoes hard and insipid, onions very strong and watery, peaches like rocks that then rot....why do we put up with it or have we been led to believe food should taste like that. No wonder parents sometimes find it hard to get kids to eat what should be good for them....mass production and profits having to be made by so many is bringing quality down and prices up. ;)

HOLA448

I mainly dislike supermarket fruit and veg......it may all look nice and perfect in shape and colour nice and clean looking but the flavour so often and more often is much to be desired....I have come to the conclusion that the viarities they choose is mainly for looks and shelf life.....some carrots I bought the other day were absolutely tasteless, tomatoes hard and insipid, onions very strong and watery, peaches like rocks that then rot....why do we put up with it or have we been led to believe food should taste like that. No wonder parents sometimes find it hard to get kids to eat what should be good for them....mass production and profits having to be made by so many is bringing quality down and prices up. ;)

The basic problem with mass food distribution is that to keep a reasonable shelf life you have to remove a lot of the enzymes etc from the food which prevent it from doing you any good.

HOLA449

I mainly dislike supermarket fruit and veg......it may all look nice and perfect in shape and colour nice and clean looking but the flavour so often and more often is much to be desired....

That's one of those things that's up and down a lot. Get the right stuff when it's in season and hasn't come right round the world and it can be delicious. And for anything that isn't completely local, supermarket logistics are exactly what you need. Oranges come a lot fresher on the climate-controlled Tesco trains from Spain than on the back of some random bod's van.

What bugs me is those fruit&veg that are always picked and sold too unripe. Doubly so those (like most varieties of pear) that once picked go from underripe to shrivelled omitting the ripe-and-delicious stage.