House Price Crash Forum

Odd Luck

tomandlu

HOLA441

So our horrible Kia Sedona (which, as well as being nasty, we've realised is far too big for our needs) is parked outside the house, and we're woken on Saturday morning by someone totalling it as well as their own car. The insurance offer is £300 more than we paid for it 2 years ago. Result.

HOLA442

So our horrible Kia Sedona (which, as well as being nasty, we've realised is far too big for our needs) is parked outside the house, and we're woken on Saturday morning by someone totalling it as well as their own car. The insurance offer is £300 more than we paid for it 2 years ago. Result.

work on that, im sure theres another £500 up for negotiation.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Does it play a tune when you turn it off? My Korean washing machine does! :angry:

Ugly and underpowered to drive, constantly overheating, a short that no one could trace that drained the battery if you didn't drive for a week, rearranging the (uncomfortable) seating was a major undertaking, and there was a thriving black-market in stolen wing-mirrors due to expense of legitimate replacements.

Edit to add:

Here's the improved version

Image1.jpg

post-17279-0-38798100-1396810155_thumb.jpg

HOLA446
HOLA447

But don't forget sods law. You may buy something else that is worse, and you had wished you kept the Sedona.

I know. It's why I spend as little as possible on cars - I assume disappointment is a given (although we did enjoy the gas-guzzling jeep). Going for a nice small family car now (VW Golf 1.9 D), and will put up with the very occasional inconvenience of not having something with more capacity. Contemplated going car-less, but we tow a tent-trailer and love camping.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Ugly and underpowered to drive, constantly overheating, a short that no one could trace that drained the battery if you didn't drive for a week, rearranging the (uncomfortable) seating was a major undertaking, and there was a thriving black-market in stolen wing-mirrors due to expense of legitimate replacements.

Edit to add:

Here's the improved version

Image1.jpg

That's caused the car to be written off? Did the car travel far when it had been hit?

HOLA4410

That's caused the car to be written off? Did the car travel far when it had been hit?

Exactly, that's no worse than touch parking in most parts of the world.

But you know what insurance companies are like. New panels, booked hours, 60% value of a car not worth much.

Pay out, move on, charge your customers 10% more next year, repeat ad infinitum.

HOLA4411

But you know what insurance companies are like. New panels, booked hours, 60% value of a car not worth much.

Pay out, move on, charge your customers 10% more next year, repeat ad infinitum.

Actually that looks like at least 2 grand worth of damage to me, if the rear suspension has been damaged then it's even more than that. A Kia Sedona isn't worth much: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/kia/sedona

HOLA4412

Actually that looks like at least 2 grand worth of damage to me, if the rear suspension has been damaged then it's even more than that. A Kia Sedona isn't worth much: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/kia/sedona

Quite. Seriously not worth fixing - it doesn't show but the rear axle is twisted. Note that I'm now up on the curb... Even if the axle was okay, I doubt that rear would be economical to repair on a 15 year old car.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

PMSL

Makes me think of those films which turn out to be a flop. Thousands of man hours, even tens of thousands ploughed into it. Dozens, maybe hundreds of people slaving away at it for ages. Finalised in the cutting studio and released. And after all that, the considered verdict:

"It's shit".

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

In fairness you can see that the back axle is completely knackered from the picture. Recent Vauxhalls all seem to be built like tanks- I turned up to work a couple of years ago to find a Mk2 Zafira minicab embedded in the back of one of our buses across the road- the bonnet was about 2' shorter than an 'unmodified' one but from the A-pillar backwards it looked completely unmarked.

I had a similar experience 12 years ago- paid £1500 for a shonky old Mk1 MR2, drove it around for a few months, then got rear ended at a set of traffic lights, which stoved the back bumper in about 3" and didn't stop the boot opening and closing. Got £1300 from the other driver's insurance company without any haggling at all, never bothered fixing the damage, spent the money on beer :) .

HOLA4418

Insurance co wanted to write off my missus' car a few years ago due to 3 broken windows(vandalism). They relented eventually.

its a laugh...our local airport ( Stansted) has a policy to reduce emissions by making it hard and pricey and inconvenient to take your car, they want you to use public transport instead.

Yet the very thing that causes probably the most pollution...the manufacture OF the car, is being encouraged in the cause of saving money and not the planet.

Green policy is totally adhoc and used solely for the convenience of the money.

HOLA4419

Heh - I got another £100 out of them by accident, and they probably did have more up their sleeve, but it'll do me...

Oh - they've just paid into my account, and seem to have added on an additional £100.

Original Offer £1200

Revised Offer £1300 (immediately offered after I said I'd like 24 hours to think about it)

Actual Amount £1400 (plus £30 for a minicab needed that day).

I'm assuming that they somehow managed to add on the £100 twice. I should probably tell them, but I'm sure it would just complicate their paperwork... ;)

(and to really confuse matters, the letter from them refers to a cheque for "£xxx")

I shall just consider this karma for the time an insurer ripped me off over stolen luggage (and accused me of fraud into the bargain).

Archived