House Price Crash Forum

Half A Million Pounds

Timak

HOLA441

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41901202.html?premiumA=true

To live next to a builders merchants, a railway line and an Asda car park on the outskirts of Cambridge.

Still if you want an alternative

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41848150.html

gets you a bungalow for only £200k more than the highest selling point ever in that street.

I'd like to say "oh but nobody will pay that for them" - the sad things is they are.

What jobs are they doing that enable them to pay nearly half a million pounds for a house?

HOLA442

http://www.rightmove...l?premiumA=true

To live next to a builders merchants, a railway line and an Asda car park on the outskirts of Cambridge.

http://www.rightmove...y-41848150.html

gets you a bungalow for only £200k more than the highest selling point ever in that street.

I'd like to say "oh but nobody will pay that for them" - the sad things is they are.

What jobs are they doing that enable them to pay nearly half a million pounds for a house?

Second one is in Cherry Hinton - a ******hole of a suburb that has to be seen to be believed.

HOLA443

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41901202.html?premiumA=true

quite shitty for 1/2 million, only energy rating b and no marble worktop. Where have they spent that £500,000?

Energy rating D - it's gonna cost a fortune to heat that house. Best to knock it and build something decent IMO.

HOLA444

quite shitty for 1/2 million, only energy rating b and no marble worktop. Where have they spent that £500,000?

Energy rating D - it's gonna cost a fortune to heat that house. Best to knock it and build something decent IMO.

beware the meaninglessness of energy ratings.

I live in a D house that's toasty and cheap to heat.

I work in a B building that has holes in the windows and in which we sit at our desks in coats despite the heating being cranked up.

Go figure.

HOLA445

This is near my turf. My town Saffron Walden is witnessing what I can only describe as a melt up boom in asking prices.

The sad thing is the estate agents at the weekends are full of sharp elbowed boomers dribbling over the "cheapness" of 350 k wrecks. They are not paying out of salaries, they are using magic HPI beans to pay. The currency has been debased and there are two types of £s now. Those that are earned and those that are from magic markets.

Thing is I am in a stupidly well paying job and everything still looks expensive, I would not mind but renting in the provinces is not very fun as there is limited choice of stock. I am liquidating all my shares and moving into cash now, because when this one blows the government is going with it.

HOLA446
HOLA447

This is near my turf. My town Saffron Walden is witnessing what I can only describe as a melt up boom in asking prices.

The sad thing is the estate agents at the weekends are full of sharp elbowed boomers dribbling over the "cheapness" of 350 k wrecks. They are not paying out of salaries, they are using magic HPI beans to pay. The currency has been debased and there are two types of £s now. Those that are earned and those that are from magic markets.

Thing is I am in a stupidly well paying job and everything still looks expensive, I would not mind but renting in the provinces is not very fun as there is limited choice of stock. I am liquidating all my shares and moving into cash now, because when this one blows the government is going with it.

Cash - ok, but not yet, this will take a while before it blows.

And definitely not GBP cash.

HOLA448

I suspect it is only half-heartedly being marketed to skinflints like us. The Estate Agent has branches in Hong Kong and China. Some wealthy Chinese buying for a child going to the university is probably they intended victim of this con.

HOLA449

Amazing value compared to down here. Am sending to the wife to see if she would consider making the leap. We'd be mortgage free in the cheaper of those, it would just be the issue of finding a job up there.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
.... they are using magic HPI beans to pay. :lol:

The currency has been debased and there are two types of £s now. Those that are earned and those that are from magic markets.

You're right, the currency has been debased and HPI is the culprit. People think that a house "worth" £250k is a bargain, yet they do not comprehend how many times their salary that would be.

HOLA4412

I think I went to look at those houses (first link) when they were first built and I was considering becoming BTL landlord scum - possibly even that very house. I remember doing the sums and figuring the whole malarky would only add up if there were mega HPI. Given that this was circa 2009, I laughed as I declined their offer to sell me the place for 200-and-something thousand pounds. :-(

HOLA4413

I'm on the outskirts of Cambridge (7 miles) I've bought, repaired and extended a 3-bed semi (220sqm), outbuilding (60sqm) on 2/3rd acre for £430K since 2010.

It was the only way I could get a good house, big garden, views and good location for under £2000/sqm. Most houses in the areas are nearer £3000/sqm. The outbuilding can be converted to a 120sqm bungalow for inlaws or kids when I need to (foundations already done). It's taken a long time and reading various laws to understand the process for getting this done legally, bypassing most of the oppressive local planning procedures.

One neighbour has done up their outbuilding and is asking more than my house/plot/outbuilding cost 3 years ago. Mad.

However, there is little unemployment around here and lots of well paid tech jobs. Many commute to London from Whittlesford or Audley End and actually get a seat.

HOLA4414

I'm on the outskirts of Cambridge (7 miles) I've bought, repaired and extended a 3-bed semi (220sqm), outbuilding (60sqm) on 2/3rd acre for £430K since 2010.

It was the only way I could get a good house, big garden, views and good location for under £2000/sqm. Most houses in the areas are nearer £3000/sqm. The outbuilding can be converted to a 120sqm bungalow for inlaws or kids when I need to (foundations already done). It's taken a long time and reading various laws to understand the process for getting this done legally, bypassing most of the oppressive local planning procedures.

One neighbour has done up their outbuilding and is asking more than my house/plot/outbuilding cost 3 years ago. Mad.

However, there is little unemployment around here and lots of well paid tech jobs. Many commute to London from Whittlesford or Audley End and actually get a seat.

You sound like youve made a good long term buy there VMR.. no doubt there are many that will eventually trade a flat in the city for a house in the country. especially if they happen to get a seat!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Cambridge and the area around are simply quite mad. There's something like 55,000 houses in the building pipeline, where on earth are the 110,000 well-paid jobs so that people can afford them (you need two jobs to afford one of these hutches, surely?)

I am sure some type of fund will buy them and rent them back to us at some rigged rent - either that or they will keep them empty like they do here in Ireland.

HOLA4417
Guest TheBlueCat

http://www.rightmove...l?premiumA=true

http://www.rightmove...y-41848150.html

Last I heard Ridgeons was closing to be replaced by even more shoe boxes. ~250 of them in fact:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/200-residents-call-for-rethink-on-Ridgeons-builders-merchant-redevelopment-in-Cambridge-20130922211656.htm

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Guest TheBlueCat

Not the usual nimbies, just people protesting please can we have some homes big enough for a family to live in, rather than yet another enclave of expensive btl studio flats.

Yes, I think their points are good ones. I lived around Mill Road for a number of years and they're right, what makes the area great is the mix of residential and business use. Back in the 80s there were loads of interesting buildings around the backs of houses - builders' yards, a fruit warehouse, artists studios etc. Most of that got infilled after 2000 with fake-Victorian houses and flats.

HOLA4420

Caught the end of HUTH - another half million beast.

This was a done up Chiswick ONE BED flat. Very small. 2k per year service charge. Never mind council tax and the rest of it. And this place is over ten k from the centre of London ffs !!

The couple that did it up looked so amazingly smug at how smart they had been to make a 100k 'profit'. On paper anyway. They actually thought it was down to their work rather than the mentalNess that is London of the past year.

I imagine when people do similar but the market is going the other way - the show won't be there to show the public the other side of the coin .

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

OK, here's the deal HPCers, it is clearly time for positive action. They are taking the actual piss. I want at least 5% of us to go round and visit places just like this and offer the vendors no more than a maximum of 25% of asking price. Can we arrange this please, it would seriously be worthwhile, and bring the market back to reality overnight (they seem to be publicising anything but actual sale prices after all?). Who is up for it?

HOLA4423

Second one is in Cherry Hinton - a ******hole of a suburb that has to be seen to be believed.

doesnt even have a pub nowadays...

about 5 years ago there were 3. guess people cant afford the rent and going out.

but yeah, cherry hinton always looks/feels so down at heel. they'll sell - a bunch of crappy 2bed terraced newbuilds by the rail line opposite the kebab van did. all £325k+

HOLA4424

OK, here's the deal HPCers, it is clearly time for positive action. They are taking the actual piss. I want at least 5% of us to go round and visit places just like this and offer the vendors no more than a maximum of 25% of asking price. Can we arrange this please, it would seriously be worthwhile, and bring the market back to reality overnight (they seem to be publicising anything but actual sale prices after all?). Who is up for it?

:lol:

i think the ea's will blacklist us!

HOLA4425

people in saffron walden look middle class though. people in cherry hinton look like theyve escaped a refugee camp. I can only assume they live 20 to a house.