House Price Crash Forum

Out Of A Job Again - Some Thoughts

Tonkers

HOLA441

I was hired 2 months ago to a great new job, matches skills, smiles all round.

1. Get hired

2. Double revenue

3. Get fired

What has really happened is my dreadfully underperforming manager got hauled over the coals and threw all her failures on me.

The reason for my success is I listened to what the client wanted, delivered it, upsold in an industry I know very well.

Throughout it all no end of praise!

What becomes clear is that this business will be closing their UK office in January when targets need to be met, as there is no chance this manager will get even close.

I just wonder how on earth the owners of the business can allow this to happen?

They took 2 hours to say the fateful words too, all the while agreeing what a great job I'd done! But as I am on probation and easy to fire they did that because they can't get rid of the real under performer? They did look confused TBH and perhaps might work out the tiny huge mistake.

God knows, but I am quite amused to see a business throw something away so carelessly.

It now looks like they are going to try and survive on interns.

HOLA442

Managers are never to blame for failure. Clearly you failed in only doubling revenue, clearly you're not one of the "hard working" families club.

To be honest I'm not surprised they let such an underperformer go a business in trouble likes that needs someone who can quadruple plus the revenue clearly this is beyond your lazy talents. :ph34r:

Yep your on probation easiest thing in the world to let you go I'm afraid, now all the hassle and stress of trying to find something else.

I do hope you mention the fact the fact you doubled revenue and was still let go in your next job interview and see what the reaction is.

HOLA443

I was hired 2 months ago to a great new job, matches skills, smiles all round.

1. Get hired

2. Double revenue

3. Get fired

What has really happened is my dreadfully underperforming manager got hauled over the coals and threw all her failures on me.

The reason for my success is I listened to what the client wanted, delivered it, upsold in an industry I know very well.

Throughout it all no end of praise!

What becomes clear is that this business will be closing their UK office in January when targets need to be met, as there is no chance this manager will get even close.

I just wonder how on earth the owners of the business can allow this to happen?

They took 2 hours to say the fateful words too, all the while agreeing what a great job I'd done! But as I am on probation and easy to fire they did that because they can't get rid of the real under performer? They did look confused TBH and perhaps might work out the tiny huge mistake.

God knows, but I am quite amused to see a business throw something away so carelessly.

It now looks like they are going to try and survive on interns.

Sorry to hear this and the best of luck in finding something else soon that you enjoy. Try and get a good reference from them at least and don't lose faith in your abilities!

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Managers are never to blame for failure. Clearly you failed in only doubling revenue, clearly you're not one of the "hard working" families club.

To be honest I'm not surprised they let such an underperformer go a business in trouble likes that needs someone who can quadruple plus the revenue clearly this is beyond your lazy talents. :ph34r:

Yep your on probation easiest thing in the world to let you go I'm afraid, now all the hassle and stress of trying to find something else.

I do hope you mention the fact the fact you doubled revenue and was still let go in your next job interview and see what the reaction is.

That's more of the madness, 3 weeks before Christmas and 5 before crunch time, even if I hated the sight of someone I would have asked for their help rather than used to deflect my incompetence. She just bought her own P45.

The other job I had this year they bought 8k worth of video conferencing equipment which they never used. They got their reality check when shocked at the waste the investors pulled the funding. It's a bit like that!

HOLA447
HOLA448

I'm sure there will be a few success stories, but it does appear a car crash waiting to happen without having people there with proper experience.

I have known far more great interns than bad, but a bad one can do amazing damage, divulging extremely sensitive information to anyone she slept with for instance!

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Very sorry to hear that, Tonkers. Any manager worth their salt knows that they should always hire (and try to keep) people smarter and better than them so they can bask in the reflected glory. A new employee who can double revenue in a couple of months is like gold!

If there's any blame to be had then you - the manager- either take it on the chin (you're responsible for the team's performance after all) or deflect it where it's actually due (ie often another team).

HOLA4411

Very sorry to hear that, Tonkers. Any manager worth their salt knows that they should always hire (and try to keep) people smarter and better than them so they can bask in the reflected glory. A new employee who can double revenue in a couple of months is like gold!

If there's any blame to be had then you - the manager- either take it on the chin (you're responsible for the team's performance after all) or deflect it where it's actually due (ie often another team).

The career break thread just gave me another thought about that manager:

She was an absolute martyr to her workload, 'working til 8 or 9 every night' & 'oh people keep Skyping me on Sundays so I HAVE to work' and the one that caused this whole mess - refusing more work because of her made up workload.

Hear this madness, she started doing major amounts of preparation and instruction giving for her being away (I think brilliant, time off from this nit) - so she did this major handover. She was out of the office for one day! A week later she pulled this shit on a junior before she went out for lunch - for an hour.

She never left the office - clearly terrified that someone would find out that she was out of her depth and really wasn't doing the square root of FA. (A friend told me yesterday of a similar type who eventually went away for 2 weeks and was not missed at all).

Why aren't the managers spotting this? She is about to close down their UK office and business with this behaviour!

She is also the type that get some employers believing that this is 'working'. It's not, it's bullshitting. Shames us all. God I hate this, an extremely viable business being destroyed, and the jobs along with it.

HOLA4412

The career break thread just gave me another thought about that manager:

She was an absolute martyr to her workload, 'working til 8 or 9 every night' & 'oh people keep Skyping me on Sundays so I HAVE to work' and the one that caused this whole mess - refusing more work because of her made up workload.

Hear this madness, she started doing major amounts of preparation and instruction giving for her being away (I think brilliant, time off from this nit) - so she did this major handover. She was out of the office for one day! A week later she pulled this shit on a junior before she went out for lunch - for an hour.

She never left the office - clearly terrified that someone would find out that she was out of her depth and really wasn't doing the square root of FA. (A friend told me yesterday of a similar type who eventually went away for 2 weeks and was not missed at all).

Why aren't the managers spotting this? She is about to close down their UK office and business with this behaviour!

She is also the type that get some employers believing that this is 'working'. It's not, it's bullshitting. Shames us all. God I hate this, an extremely viable business being destroyed, and the jobs along with it.

That sounds like a manager in my organisation, she went on sick leave for six months and there was no difference in the performance of her team as they we managed part time by two more senior managers.

She is chaotic, she micro manages more experienced employees to the nth degree, she always claims to be working excessive hours and never seems to achieve much, she writes chapter and verse on everything she does when there is no operational need to do so, she makes costly mistakes and blames other departments and of course she thinks is wholly indispensable.

She was promoted far too early in her career (she had been qualified less than 18 months) and quite frankly it shows. She is often unprofessional, for example telling the successful candidate for a recent promotion the reasons she did not award the job to the other candidate was one of personality and not ability, I could cite plenty of other examples. I thank god she's not my manager.....

However, more recently she has decided to take on work to which she is neither qualified to do nor experienced in, which may have direct consequences for me, to that end as I know the head of our part of the organisation does not appreciate her obvious ability, it may be time to stick the boot in.

I'm going to mull it over, over Christmas ;)

Edit

Good luck with the new job search.

HOLA4413

That sounds like a manager in my organisation, she went on sick leave for six months and there was no difference in the performance of her team as they we managed part time by two more senior managers.

She is chaotic, she micro manages more experienced employees to the nth degree, she always claims to be working excessive hours and never seems to achieve much, she writes chapter and verse on everything she does when there is no operational need to do so, she makes costly mistakes and blames other departments and of course she thinks is wholly indispensable.

She was promoted far too early in her career (she had been qualified less than 18 months) and quite frankly it shows. She is often unprofessional, for example telling the successful candidate for a recent promotion the reasons she did not award the job to the other candidate was one of personality and not ability, I could cite plenty of other examples. I thank god she's not my manager.....

However, more recently she has decided to take on work to which she is neither qualified to do nor experienced in, which may have direct consequences for me, to that end as I know the head of our part of the organisation does not appreciate her obvious ability, it may be time to stick the boot in.

I'm going to mull it over, over Christmas ;)

Edit

Good luck with the new job search.

Wow, lot's of parallels there, my only sympathies were that it was her first management position and she clearly has had no training or assistance in being a manager. She puts smiley faces on her emails to major prospective clients.

If I was to be offered a management position I would need to be sure I could stand back from the coalface and facilitate the talents of those I managed, and as has been noted above, bask in their glory. I have had such a manager, and it works, breeding loyalty and glowing reviews to prospective talent. Just seems so many promoted have no idea this is what management does to a great extent.

When I was training a junior, I don't think they liked my style, I did not bark orders but requested their suggestions and guided from there, even if it made me look, well, soft, I suppose. But it works!

HOLA4414

Sympathies Tonkers, I hope you find something quickly.

From my recent experience, corporations are encouraging and employing narcissistic managers who are always trying to achieve maximum profit instead of optimum, that manager then promotes people in middle manger roles who would never challenge their authority.

I walked out of a job in October this year after nearly 7 years of employment, I'm in a fortunate position and at the age of 54 I don't need to work everyday, however being in this position opened my eyes even more to how some of these corporations are operating.

Every mistake and we could be talking about 10's of thousands of pounds, was hidden from senior managers, disruptive employees were pampered and given special treatment rather than rock the boat for fear of grievance procedures being sought, one particular example was a guy who refused to carry out instructions, this cost the company thousands as he wouldn't train fellow employees on a specific job, meaning other employees had to go to France to be trained, yet they still pampered him.

I could go on and write a book about the place, all I know is it isn't unique, what I do know is that I don't miss it one bit and wish I had given up work 5 years ago, there are many ways to make enough money to survive if you have an entrepreneurial way of thinking , it just depends what you are satisfied with.

HOLA4415

Sympathies Tonkers, I hope you find something quickly.

From my recent experience, corporations are encouraging and employing narcissistic ....

I could go on and write a book about the place, all I know is it isn't unique, what I do know is that I don't miss it one bit and wish I had given up work 5 years ago, there are many ways to make enough money to survive if you have an entrepreneurial way of thinking , it just depends what you are satisfied with.

Yep. There`s enough information a this site alone to set you on the path to self employment, even if a large part is fakery.

HOLA4416

Archived