• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

^Newegg is in the Us - check out the postage and taxes at the checkout! If you haven't built a PC before then I wouldn't recommend it for your main PC at first, unless you are going to keep your current main system running, and you can build your new PC in parallel.

HOLA447

^Newegg is in the Us - check out the postage and taxes at the checkout! If you haven't built a PC before then I wouldn't recommend it for your main PC at first, unless you are going to keep your current main system running, and you can build your new PC in parallel.

Yes,that would make sense,thought it was too good to be true. However,it's not immediately clear that is the case.

Oh,my girlfriend would laugh,I have 6 desk top pc's and 5 laptops. I've built all my previous pc's. It will be my first Pentium but things are much easier than the old days with boot floppies and jumpers. I had several mental breakdowns installing Windows 95 drivers. Widows ME saw an end to most of that.

HOLA448

Yes,that would make sense,thought it was too good to be true. However,it's not immediately clear that is the case.

Oh,my girlfriend would laugh,I have 6 desk top pc's and 5 laptops. I've built all my previous pc's. It will be my first Pentium but things are much easier than the old days with boot floppies and jumpers. I had several mental breakdowns installing Windows 95 drivers. Widows ME saw an end to most of that.

I remember my first PC when I had to change the jumper on the front side bus to overclock my Pentium 2 233mhz to 266mhz and running Half Life at 1024 x 764 on the 3DFx 2 card. Them were the days!

HOLA449

Good stuff - I had 5 desktops (four I built, one I gave away), and 2 laptops (one I gave away).

HOLA4410

I remember my first PC when I had to change the jumper on the front side bus to overclock my Pentium 2 233mhz to 266mhz and running Half Life at 1024 x 764 on the 3DFx 2 card. Them were the days!

Those were the days when life had already become a lot simpler. Back in the days of Netware 2 you had to know every interrupt and DMA, which you had set by twiddling with jumpers, before you linked the OS so that you could install it. People claimed that you compiled it but I always reckoned that you just linked it.

HOLA4411

So I've decided to go for this board with an i5 4790 chip in this case and ram. However,I'm not sure about the card and M2 SDD. Does anyone have experience with M2 pci SDD ? From what I've read so far,there's little point in going for the more expensive i7 chip,at least in terms of gaming. I don't want to spend a fortune on the card. The Asus GeForce GTX 660 seems a reasonable card for the money but I'd pay a bit more if I thought it would make a significant difference.

This setup would cost £625 with a Kingston Technology 120GB Solid State Drive 2.5-inch V300 SATA 3 as opposed to the M2 which would not run at full capacity on this board anyway. This price includes a 1tb sata and a Corsair PSU + DVD writer.

Seems like a nice machine for the money ?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Is this recently and are you just using a boot or running stuff directly from the SSD ?

My old workplace bought two "gaming machines" complete with illuminated insides to be used as "test equipment". Not a bad choice as proper server boxes are really noisy. Good spec and can run a good few VMs, with 32GB of RAM. The SSD on both of them had popped within a year. Mind you, they were never switched off. I disconnected the SSD, and reloaded Win7 directly on the hard drive. The boot up time is not that important.

HOLA4416

My old workplace bought two "gaming machines" complete with illuminated insides to be used as "test equipment". Not a bad choice as proper server boxes are really noisy. Good spec and can run a good few VMs, with 32GB of RAM. The SSD on both of them had popped within a year. Mind you, they were never switched off. I disconnected the SSD, and reloaded Win7 directly on the hard drive. The boot up time is not that important.

One of my Linux servers has an SSD for the OS drive, and it's been powered on for 32,000 hours with no problems. If you were running multiple VMs, I'm guessing they were writing to the disk all the time and exceeded the write limit; that drive reports it hasn't even used 1% of the available writes yet.

HOLA4417

One of my Linux servers has an SSD for the OS drive, and it's been powered on for 32,000 hours with no problems. If you were running multiple VMs, I'm guessing they were writing to the disk all the time and exceeded the write limit; that drive reports it hasn't even used 1% of the available writes yet.

Maybe your swap partition is in a sensible place? :blink:

I bought a "gaming" laptop, about 18 months back. The "Knight Rider" lights are nice, but useless, and I deliberately bought one with no SSD. I don't use it for "games" BTW.

HOLA4418

So I've decided to go for this board with an i5 4790 chip in this case and ram. However,I'm not sure about the card and M2 SDD. Does anyone have experience with M2 pci SDD ? From what I've read so far,there's little point in going for the more expensive i7 chip,at least in terms of gaming. I don't want to spend a fortune on the card. The Asus GeForce GTX 660 seems a reasonable card for the money but I'd pay a bit more if I thought it would make a significant difference.

This setup would cost £625 with a Kingston Technology 120GB Solid State Drive 2.5-inch V300 SATA 3 as opposed to the M2 which would not run at full capacity on this board anyway. This price includes a 1tb sata and a Corsair PSU + DVD writer.

Seems like a nice machine for the money ?

I used an old reconditioned case for my new PC LOL. I also went for the Asus Gryphons motherboard (there is no cable slot for DVD-Roms though - USB all the way) as it lets you use two Nvidia graphics card in 2 way SLI (future upgrade option) on a Micro-ATX board. My second choice would be the Asus Progamer which is ATX size.

Hyperfury RAM is fine I use it -CL9 as opposed to CL10 as it's supposed to be one faster, and it is only a little bit more expensive. Keep your receipt because one of my sticks was faulty! :( Windows Memory diagnostic found that out, after I kept getting blue screen errors. The rest is OK. You can get pre-built i7 4790K's on ebay for about £600 but they are very bare bones machines.

HOLA4419

Maybe your swap partition is in a sensible place? :blink:

Actually, it doesn't have one. Thought I'd put a small one on there, but, generally, if a server starts swapping, it doesn't have enough RAM...

HOLA4420

Actually, it doesn't have one. Thought I'd put a small one on there, but, generally, if a server starts swapping, it doesn't have enough RAM...

I guess RAM is cheap now. I remember paying £300 for 128K

For a "game" machine, or indeed a work machine, stuff the most RAM in it that will fit. Far better than wasting your wad on wizzy CPUs.

HOLA4421

Were you running XP Mr Pin? There's a problem with XP on SSD's, and to my delight, it's got something to do with not supporting TRIM ;)

HOLA4422

Were you running XP Mr Pin? There's a problem with XP on SSD's, and to my delight, it's got something to do with not supporting TRIM ;)

Nope. Win7 64bit.

HOLA4423

Nope. Win7 64bit.

Ah, ok. I've been running Win7 64bit at home for sometime now, using an early Seagate 128Gb SSD that I 'procured' from a friend that develops ATM's at NCR, here in Dundee. No problems 24 months down the line. I rarely shut the thing down, just let it hibernate.

Having said that, with the advent of 'his n hers' tablets, we don't use the main pc nearly as much as we used to.

With regard to the OP, I suggest you befriend someone in area of PC-type development. You won't get cutting edge stuff, but it's amazing how cheaply you can cobble together an acceptable PC from industrial leftovers!

HOLA4424

Ah, ok. I've been running Win7 64bit at home for sometime now, using an early Seagate 128Gb SSD that I 'procured' from a friend that develops ATM's at NCR, here in Dundee. No problems 24 months down the line. I rarely shut the thing down, just let it hibernate.

Having said that, with the advent of 'his n hers' tablets, we don't use the main pc nearly as much as we used to.

With regard to the OP, I suggest you befriend someone in area of PC-type development. You won't get cutting edge stuff, but it's amazing how cheaply you can cobble together an acceptable PC from industrial leftovers!

Dundee! I might have driven past your house, in a dark green Lexus. :huh: Be afraid.

Yes, tablets fulfil most home computing needs now.

HOLA4425

I think it's just the early SSDs were a bit rubbish.

I had an early one and it broke within a year. Manufacturer sent me a free replacement but exactly the same model.

I threw it in the bin and got a newer Samsung model. Had that 2/3 years now with no issues at all.

I think there are two makes people swear by, one is Samsung, the other I don't remember but I think it was intel.

Archived