House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ill_handle_it

Time To Build/buy A Cheap Gaming Pc

My old PC just isn't up to the job. I built it in 2008 (had to check on Ebuyer history) and I believe only the ram (perhaps) is reusable ?

The chip is a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000

The board is a V3-M2V890 so I guess the case could go again but I'd need a reasonable PSU.

The card is w*nk obviously so I won't list it. I don't need a writer (flashed to burn XGD3).

The ram is Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) 667Mhz DDR2

I'm not expecting to run games at speed but would like the latest games to play without issue.

Thanks in advance.

I just built an i5 system for a friend and I'm astonished how much PC power has advanced in the last few years. Handbrake transcodes that take several hours on my AMD Athlon 64xdual are done in 15 minutes :blink:

It's the 'jolt' I needed to get my own PC sorted.

how important is the main cpu for gaming nowadays though? (I may well be up for a decent gaming pc soon after not really playing games for the last decade) isn't it all about the graphics card and having enough ddr3 memory?

Built my own machine recently.

Dont waste money on an i7 for games.

i5 is fine with 4 cores.

You can buy mobo/ram/processor combos.

Dont buy from DABS.

They sent me a Fractal case with a drive bay missing and never replaced it.

Try Scan in Manchester.

Had lots of advice while speccing and building my music studio powerhouse.

Though i bought most of it from Amazon for the returns service.

Try Scan in Manchester.

Had lots of advice while speccing and building my music studio powerhouse.

Though i bought most of it from Amazon for the returns service.

Scan are in Bolton, which is Lancashire, and NOT Manchester! Do not confuse them, for you will get into a "naked clog fight"! ;)

Recently put together a budget system for a friend - used an AMD A-series. Was amazed to see it benchmark better than my main system..

The A series has a built-in Radeon graphics core which - unusually - actually works very well as integrated graphics. You can add a discrete matching Radeon card as well for cheap SLI.

(Sorry if this sounds like a press release).

Recently put together a budget system for a friend - used an AMD A-series. Was amazed to see it benchmark better than my main system..

The A series has a built-in Radeon graphics core which - unusually - actually works very well as integrated graphics. You can add a discrete matching Radeon card as well for cheap SLI.

(Sorry if this sounds like a press release).

Do you have the spec please and source ?

Going down the intel path Amazon has this bundle for £394 click+ click

I'm out of the game, but my instinctive reaction is: that ain't cheap. Give me till tomorrow and I reckon I could do something better for about 450, as long as you can use a screwdriver!

Yes and some spare time :)

Do you have the spec please and source ?

From Amazon, try searching for 'AMD Richland A10 6700 4.3Ghz 16'

Looks a bit cheaper as well as having 16 gig, add £60 for the SLI card.

From Amazon, try searching for 'AMD Richland A10 6700 4.3Ghz 16'

Looks a bit cheaper as well as having 16 gig, add £60 for the SLI card.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Richland-4-2Ghz-Processor-integrated-Graphics/dp/B00D925GC8/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1381419935&sr=1-2&keywords=%27AMD+Richland+A10+6700+4.3Ghz+16#productDetails

Not sure what you mean in reference to sli card tbh ?

Thanks again.

Cheap PC and cheap 'gaming PC' are 2 different things.

What games do you want to play? What resolution to you want to play at? What FPS(frames per second) do you want? Do you want to play online?

I recommend doing some research on websites like tomshardware and anandtech.

Generally, the graphics card is the most important part for most modern games. Check FPS charts for your game of choice. Average 60 frames per second is recommended for smooth game play. This should keep to min FPS from going below 30.

However, if you play online some games require a really good CPU also. Check CPU scaling for your game of choice.

If it was me - minimum basic spec -

Intel i5 4570 + H87 mobo + 4Gb DDR3 ram. (I don't OC)

Graphics - Radeon HD 7870 (best bang for buck?)

Good 600W PSU

120Gb SSD harddrive - well worth the money.

Anti-ghost keyboard, gaming mouse, gaming mouse pad, USB headset, 1920x1080 monitor.

Note: with the next gen consoles coming out, I am hoping for some good improvements in both games and hardware next year. I'm hanging on for Skylake if reports are true that Broadwell will not be coming to the desktop :(

I looked at upgrading my PC for CoD Ghost - I bought a new CPU cooler for £6 ;)

Built my own machine recently.

Dont waste money on an i7 for games.

i5 is fine with 4 cores.

This may well be true for every PC game ever released up until today. But it will certainly not be true for PC games released tomorrow, or in just a couple of weeks shall we say.

Because the new gen consoles contain 8 core or 8 threaded CPU's, and because these CPU's are damn weak, you can bet that games developers are about to become very creative at designing games to take advantage of the extra threads. With the console centric focus of AAA games development in mind, I would also imagine that many ports will not like running on 4 core/ 4 threaded CPU's. Even if the game is only using 20% of CPU resources on each thread, I would imagine that having just a quad core will be a performance bottleneck for many games. We would be talking about the typical 'poor console port' type of game here, but I am afraid this has become a reality of PC gaming.

To cut to the chase. The OP should do himself a favour and get either a quad core with hyperthreading, (an Intel i7), or an AMD FX octocore CPU. Since money is a limiting factor here, he probably wants to look closer at the AMD options. Likewise with the graphics, living with Nvidia cards and drivers is a much more comfortable experience than it is with AMD (I have both, AMD HD7970 in desktop and Nvidia GTX 780M in laptop), you certainly get much more bang for buck with AMD than you get with Nvidia.

Has anyone noticed prices of PC components haven't come down much over the last year or so.

I bought the below from ebuyer in September 2012 and if I wanted to get the equivalent again it would cost about the more or less the same perhaps more

Item: Intel Gamer Bundle with Asus P8Z77-V LX MotherboardIntel I5 3570K Processor and 8GB DDR3 (2 x 4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP Blue MemoryQty: 1 Cost: £249.98-----------------------------------------------------------Shipping method: FREE at £0.00Sub Total: 249.98VAT Total: 50.00Total: £299.98

Cheap PC and cheap 'gaming PC' are 2 different things.

What games do you want to play? What resolution to you want to play at? What FPS(frames per second) do you want? Do you want to play online?

I recommend doing some research on websites like tomshardware and anandtech.

Generally, the graphics card is the most important part for most modern games. Check FPS charts for your game of choice. Average 60 frames per second is recommended for smooth game play. This should keep to min FPS from going below 30.

However, if you play online some games require a really good CPU also. Check CPU scaling for your game of choice.

If it was me - minimum basic spec -

Intel i5 4570 + H87 mobo + 4Gb DDR3 ram. (I don't OC)

Graphics - Radeon HD 7870 (best bang for buck?)

Good 600W PSU

120Gb SSD harddrive - well worth the money.

Anti-ghost keyboard, gaming mouse, gaming mouse pad, USB headset, 1920x1080 monitor.

Note: with the next gen consoles coming out, I am hoping for some good improvements in both games and hardware next year. I'm hanging on for Skylake if reports are true that Broadwell will not be coming to the desktop :(

I looked at upgrading my PC for CoD Ghost - I bought a new CPU cooler for £6 ;)

This appears to be priced okay and includes your recommendations

The card

This appears to be priced okay and includes your recommendations

The card

Stop this madness at once, before it is too late!

I don't know if you are looking for advice in other places than this, but this here just aint a gaming/tech website and the information you are getting isn't exactly the most up to date.

I am stuck on a boat in middle of North Sea so cant give you much in the way of links to more appropriate products, but as I stated in my previous post in this thread, Quad core without hyper threading is just not the way to go. BF4 is the first PC game that was coded with the capabilities of the new consoles in mind, and that is written to use 8 threads. If you have only 4, (i5 series), as opposed to 8 threads (i7 series with hyper threading), your CPU is going to bottleneck your performance in that game. In the not too distant future, you will find the same thing occurring ever increasingly and you will be kicking yourself for not getting a CPU that offers 8 threads.

I think you can also do much better than that card for just little more bucks. From having done a quick look on OcUK, I see that you could have a 7950 for just £30 more. Or better still, a R9 270X for just £20 more.

I would also question the point in a 120gb SSD drive these days. If it is just to have your OS and main programs and nothing more, then fine. But if you want it for installing games on to get better performance, then due to the way the modern PC gaming distribution platforms are working, it is far too small. For example, when I first installed BF3, it took up 10Gb of harddrive space. Now, with updates and the odd DLC map pack, it is taking up 50Gb. If Battlefield isn't your cup of tea and you are more a CoD man, then I believe the whole shebang there will amount to 60Gb. Or perhaps you are a flight simmer? X-Plane - 86Gb. And so it goes.

Taking into account the money limit I think that instead of looking at:

Intel I5

AMD HD 7850

120GB SSD

You should look at an option more along the lines of:

AMD FX 8350

AMD R9 270X

2 *500GB (RAid 0) Hybrid SATA HDD. (make sure they are gaming grade HDDs)

If this all just seems like a wall of text and a distraction from your urge to get your PC purchased and built, then the most important message is that Quad Core with just 4 threads is fine today, but it won't be tomorrow, and I mean tomorrow in the very literal sense of the word.

Stop this madness at once, before it is too late!

I don't know if you are looking for advice in other places than this, but this here just aint a gaming/tech website and the information you are getting isn't exactly the most up to date.

I would also question the point in a 120gb SSD drive these days.

Games on to get better performance, then due to the way the modern PC gaming dist then the most important message is that Quad Core with just 4 threads is fine today, but it won't be tomorrow, and I mean tomorrow in the very literal sense of the word.

... cheap PC remember? Future proofing can be an expensive waste of money.

Increasing the graphics power could also increase actual power requirements. Thus, once again, increasing price.

I agree the 120gb will only be suitable for OS and 1 modern game. Bigger, would of course, be better/ more expensive.

I did not realise that BF4 is being developed to take advantage of hyperthreading. Though I'm more interested in CoD this time.

http://www.tomshardw...ce,3634-10.html

CPU.png

It is a real shame that they did not compare the same generation of intel processors or even the new ones. Has having hyperthreading or 8 cores made a big difference? Money still better spend on the graphics card?

How would your recommendation compare on power usage under load?

Note: Call of Duty Ghost is going to require a minimum of 6Gb ram and a 64bit operating system.

http://www.tomshardw...121272309759082

"The system specs for the PC version of Call of Duty: Ghosts have appeared on Nvidia's GeForce site, revealing that the upcoming game will require 6 GB of RAM and a 64-bit operating system at the very minimum."

Hmmmm... I may need more ram dry.gif

Edit: ram sorted - my work PC just got a downgrade :ph34r::unsure::D

I know this sounds like a cop out, but why not just buy an Xbox 1 or a PS4 ? Reasons :

a) You can pick them up for less than the price of a state of the art graphics card.

B) They won't be obsolete for around 5 years at least, whereas the stuff you buy for the PC now for COD probably won't even last until the next release of the next game you are interested in.

c) No hours arsing around getting the whole thing to work, it just happens straight out of the box.

d) No peering at the box to try to figure out whether your rig meets the hardware spec.

e) No malware, virus killers or other crap required that bung up the pc and slow it to a crawl.

f) Keep your existing pc to do pc type stuff like spreadsheets etc, so you effectively have two seats.

g) Enjoy the benefits of early releases on blockbusters like GTA V.

If you are a dedicated games person who must have the absolute highest performance, a mariginally higher frame rate and graphics performance, likes setting fire to 5 pound notes because the hardware you have bought is now obsolete , enjoys the thrill of purchasing a game and then spending longer faffing with the pc settings to make it work than actually playing it, enjoys the gamble of never knowing that you can get something to work after you have bought it and then when you go to the manufacturer they blame the "hardware", enjoys the release on their format being 6 months later than everyone elses (and sometimes not at all), enjoys getting kicked off the PC because their kid has to do something useless like "homework", then the PC is for you.

For everyone else there is the consoles.

Get a computer now and a console now and one won't be obsolete before the other unless the games-related parts of the computer (e.g. graphcis card) are rather below the specification of the same one in the console. And if you need a computer anyway why not just have one that can do everything you need? Plus the computer is more likely to be upgradeable. If a game exists on both PC and console then you're more likely to be able to get better performance out of the PC version, and might have the possibly big advantage of being able to mod the games (some have extensive levels of user mods available, encouraged by the developers). The only, and possibly big, downside is that you'll get more gaming performance per pound from a console.