House Price Crash Forum

China's Impending Diabetes Problem

interestrateripoff

HOLA441

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=224071

China's Impending Self-Destruction -- Diabetes

I knew they had a problem over there. I had no idea it was this bad:

Chinese are developing the metabolic disease at a lower body mass index than Americans, the researchers found, meaning that changes in diet and physical activity stoked by rapid economic development are resulting in an earlier onset of the obesity-linked disease. The epidemic will worsen with 40 percent of 18-to-29-year-olds on the verge of developing diabetes, which increases the risk of stroke, heart attack and kidney failure.

Forty percent of 18-29 year olds are insulin-resistant?!

It's actually worse than that:

The added criteria may have partly contributed to the increased prevalence, Guang and colleagues wrote. The scientists estimate half of adults in China, or 493.4 million people, have higher-than-normal blood glucose levels, which put them in a pre-diabetic state.

Holy crap.

Anyone who thinks you can eat a diet full of rice and other similar "fast carbs" and then add to that animal products and processed foods in any sort of quantity and that this is "all ok" is simply nuts.

Is this alarmist or is there a potential for a major diabetes problem in China? It would appear that if this figure in a few decades nearly 50% of the Chinese population is going to be diabetic. Is this another processed food problem?

HOLA442
HOLA443

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-09-04/chinas-unspoken-catastrophe-116-population-or-114-million-have-diabetes-more-us

While China was absorbing all the best that the "West" had to export to it over the past three decades (credit cards, MTV, inflation, apps, youtube), it was also importing the worst. Such as a sedentary, lazy lifestyle which at a massive social scale, usually has one inevitable conclusion - diabetes. And even as the world is focused on all the other pending crashes China has to offer: housing, credit, demographic, it has been largely ignorant of what is rapidly becoming a "catastrophic" epidemic. According to Bloomberg, which cites just released findings in the Journal of the American Medical Association, "the most comprehensive nationwide survey for diabetes ever conducted in China shows 11.6 percent of adults, or 114 million, has the disease. This means that another 22 million diabetics, or the population of Australia, have been added to a 2007 estimate and means almost one in three diabetes sufferers globally is in China. By comparison in America "only" 11.3% of the population have been diagnosed with diabetes.

ZH view.

HOLA444

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=224071

Is this alarmist or is there a potential for a major diabetes problem in China? It would appear that if this figure in a few decades nearly 50% of the Chinese population is going to be diabetic. Is this another processed food problem?

Not just processed food but Western eating habits generally. We have had a couple of thousand years to evolve tolerance - they haven't.

Jared Diamond has a pretty good chapter on this in his latest book (not addressing the Chinese but generally on johnny wog taking up Western diets)

HOLA445

Ive been reading denningers health posts recently. He seems to suggest a low carb high fat diet (apparently eat as much red meats as you want, complete with fat butter and fruit and veg)

Denninger has lost a lot of weight if you compare his latest videos to his earliest in 2007 or 8- its a lot more convincing than the man mountain the other libertarian Alex jones pimping his 'beyond tangy tangerine' helped him lose hundreds of pounds!

I always thought lots of red meat increases the risk of bowel and other digestive system cancers though. I'll give it a go for a few months, see if it works. A shame, I like my baguettes, pasta bakes, spag bols, pizzas, chips and other apparently high carb foods.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Low carb worked for me but one of the big issues with low carb diets is that if it is high glycemic index carbs, not raw calories, which make us fat and contribute to all sorts of associated conditions, why aren't populations with rice-heavy diets already overweight and diabetic?

HOLA448

Low carb worked for me but one of the big issues with low carb diets is that if it is high glycemic index carbs, not raw calories, which make us fat and contribute to all sorts of associated conditions, why aren't populations with rice-heavy diets already overweight and diabetic?

Until recently most of these countries have been rather poor.

Probably unable to gorge on whatever food they want like us over here ?

And probably as important most moved around a lot more than they do today. Always remember the pics of the masses of bikes going through places like Beijing. I imagine today its mostly cars.

HOLA449

'The scientists estimate half of adults in China, or 493.4 million people, have higher-than-normal blood glucose levels'

Let me guess, half are taller than normal too?

Who the ****** writes this crap?

"normal" blood sugar does not mean "average" blood sugar. normal blood sugar levels are roughly between 4 and 7 mmol/L, so therefore you could have an entire population above normal levels.

as compared to average or normal height where roughly half the population would need to be either taller or shorter than the average height.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Until recently most of these countries have been rather poor.

Probably unable to gorge on whatever food they want like us over here ?

And probably as important most moved around a lot more than they do today. Always remember the pics of the masses of bikes going through places like Beijing. I imagine today its mostly cars.

:lol:

I am so not going to spend a dozen pages explaining why I suspect it's more complicated than that.

HOLA4412

Few things worth keeping in mind:

1)Rice consuming societies evolved to eat it. We didn't.

2) They don't eat a kilo of rice a day. Traditional eastern diets contain far less carbs than their western counterparts. This is often overlooked and their intake levels overblown.

3) You don't NEED carbs. You'll eventually die without protein and fat, not so carbs.

HOLA4413

Ive been reading denningers health posts recently. He seems to suggest a low carb high fat diet (apparently eat as much red meats as you want, complete with fat butter and fruit and veg)

Denninger has lost a lot of weight if you compare his latest videos to his earliest in 2007 or 8- its a lot more convincing than the man mountain the other libertarian Alex jones pimping his 'beyond tangy tangerine' helped him lose hundreds of pounds!

I always thought lots of red meat increases the risk of bowel and other digestive system cancers though. I'll give it a go for a few months, see if it works. A shame, I like my baguettes, pasta bakes, spag bols, pizzas, chips and other apparently high carb foods.

Go for it is my advice, you won't regret it. Red meat and cancer/heart disease is very much a red herring. The research they base the scare stories on is truly appalling.

HOLA4414

:lol:

I am so not going to spend a dozen pages explaining why I suspect it's more complicated than that.

You know you want to. :D

Types of food may well be having an impact.

But its certainly true they will - in general - be eating more food and moving around less than they used to.

HOLA4415

You know you want to. :D

Types of food may well be having an impact.

But its certainly true they will - in general - be eating more food and moving around less than they used to.

Yes.

/ tiptoes quietly away from thread, tries not to touch anything on the way out

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I did this last year and have gone from a 36" waist to a 30". In the beginning my weight loss was so rapid friends told me I should go to the doctor! I would have if it wasn't for the spike in energy that came with it. I am in my mid 40s and haven't felt as good since I was a teenager!

I used to enjoy all the foods you list in your last paragraph; the though of them now makes me feel slightly ill!

I would read the Primal Blueprint and read Marks Daily Apple website for a overview of this way of eating; on my experience I highly recommend it (combined with exercise and cutting down/quitting the booze but that's another story!)

HOLA4419

"normal" blood sugar does not mean "average" blood sugar. normal blood sugar levels are roughly between 4 and 7 mmol/L, so therefore you could have an entire population above normal levels.

as compared to average or normal height where roughly half the population would need to be either taller or shorter than the average height.

Most biological parameters follow a Gaussian distribution and so be definition 50 % of the subjects will be above average and 50 % below average for blood pressure.

Or do they mean healthy?

It is not the same.

Like i said, who writes this ******ing crap?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

It does make you wonder if there is a reverse effect on the UK population ?

Things like pasta, rice, noodles or coconut milk etc have only been consumed by the masses in very very recent times.

Before that we would have literally eaten zero of them.

Could they be having an impact on us ?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived