House Price Crash Forum

Excel 2007

StuG III

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

It say's alot about the world that your employer makes you use software they've got to pay for when you'd be happy using free stuff. :)

I know. And I rather suspect the main reason that Microsoft bollocked it about do thoroughly is that they want employers to have to re-train all their staff.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

We're on Office 2013 now!

I've just upgraded at work to have a play with it.

Is it worse?

My view is that 2007 is a huge headfeck when you first use it, everything has been moved about to improve productivity.....

2010 is better than 2007.

From my limited use of 2013 it appears better than the previous 2 incarnations. However I'm not doing anything that complex like creating charts so I have no idea how it's "improved" in that respect.

But I agree for those who are comfortable with 2003, 2007 just leaves you stumped until you start to find where things are that you need.

HOLA449

Is it worse?

I would say Excel is far far faster, as I have some huge spreadsheets I play with.

Once you turn off the annoying 'enable content' protection thing, got rid of their stupid save screen, it's OK.The jump from 2003 to 2007 was the worst, but it's been getting progressively better since.

Outlook is much better too, with some good features, and is very customisable.

HOLA4410

2013 is a bit better IMO - MS have backtracked a little and allow some customisation of the ribbon but still no tear off menus, floating toolbars or customised short cut menus all of which made 2003 (and earlier) so flexible for 'power users'.

2007 and later tries to guess what you are doing and 'help', which if you actually do know what you are doing just gets in the way and makes even simple tasks a real battle.

I currently have both 2003 and 2013 installed and generally use the older versions unless there is a specific feature I need that is only available in the newer version.

Unfortunately we appear to be going through a phase where software is dumbed down to the lowest common denominator (see Windows 8) - a sad state of affairs.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Excel 2010 handled large sets of data much quicker (and doesn't crash) compared to 2007. A few more functions (pivot slicers comes to mind) and...was remove duplicates in 2007 too? Memory hazy, funnily enough.

Haven't used 2013 yet.

HOLA4414

Excel 2010 handled large sets of data much quicker (and doesn't crash) compared to 2007. A few more functions (pivot slicers comes to mind) and...was remove duplicates in 2007 too? Memory hazy, funnily enough.

Haven't used 2013 yet.

Yes, remove duplicates is in 2007. It is also in 2003 through the advanced filtering options, but not a simple single button process (without some VBA and toolbar customisation).

Large data sets should generally be handled in a database but Excel can be good for some quick and dirty data work.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Microsoft Word is the worst piece of software ever written. All versions.

I think SAP is worse and lots of business software I've used has been appalling. Word is pretty bad especially with features like numbering (can't believe they produced this many versions and it still can't count) and style handling but I don't know of any alternatives that can match the feature set and ease of use unfortunately.

As someone previously mentioned the new Outlook is generally an improvement but AFAIKT still can't handle Yahoo or GMail accounts (hotmail will work with a plug in) and doesn't have a unified inbox despite these features having been on mobile phones for years.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I've got Office 2010 and love Excel 2010, find Word 2010 a bit annoying because you really have to think where stuff is! I also have Excel 2000 and hate that! Will be getting Office 2013 in next few months (not many employers seem to be using that, most seem to be going over to 2010 now).

I did start off on Lotus SmartSuite 97 which was a freebie at the time, In May 2013, IBM announced the withdrawal of SmartSuite. Marketing of the product will end in June 2013, followed by all support ceasing in September 2014. IBM has also announced that there will be no replacement for SmartSuite. I do occasionally check Corel and their WordPerfect Office X6 is about £281, they do sell a Corel Office product for about £39 but I think that is more akin to the discontinued Microsoft Works.

Freebie software is ok until you need a spreadsheet program to take information from SQL, Excel, and OLAP, question is can it do the job? Anyway just look at what has happened with IBM Lotus Symphony (which uses openoffice.org) which has been discontinued this year as well.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Archived