House Price Crash Forum

Learning To Drive

Harry Monk

HOLA441

Does anyone have any idea of the approximate total cost of a 17 year old learning to drive from scratch, including provisional licence, theory test, lessons and practical test, assuming an average number of lessons and a first time test pass?

My lessons were £2.90 each and my test was £3.40 so my info would possibly be out of date. :blink:

HOLA442

Does anyone have any idea of the approximate total cost of a 17 year old learning to drive from scratch, including provisional licence, theory test, lessons and practical test, assuming an average number of lessons and a first time test pass?

My lessons were £2.90 each and my test was £3.40 so my info would possibly be out of date. :blink:

If he/she joins one of the services FREE just remember to DAOR before phase 2 :D

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Driving lessons are around £20 per hour. (Though I suppose it depends on where you live)

provisional licence £50

Theory test £31

Practical test £62

Apparently they reckon around 50 (!) lessons these days, but obviously it depends on your aptitude

so 50 x 20 = 1k + above bits = 1150

Though in reality i'd say a budget of 2k is realistic to cover failures, extra lessons etc.

It cost me about 2.5k 5 years ago. But I did fail a few times... <_<

HOLA446
HOLA447

Driving lessons are around £20 per hour. (Though I suppose it depends on where you live)

provisional licence £50

Theory test £31

Practical test £62

Apparently they reckon around 50 (!) lessons these days, but obviously it depends on your aptitude

so 50 x 20 = 1k + above bits = 1150

Though in reality i'd say a budget of 2k is realistic to cover failures, extra lessons etc.

It cost me about 2.5k 5 years ago. But I did fail a few times... <_<

:o

You have to be joking! 50! I'm not the world's most natural driver but unless they're made it way harder surely 20 is enough.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I thought you're a HGV driver, Harry. Can't you do what the locals and immigrants do around here, and teach the young one yourself? That way you can pass on all the unholy habits accumulated over a lifetime. Ability to read signs or even see pedestrians seem unnecessary from what I can see. All you need is a white handkerchief, a red marker pen and some glue. :)

HOLA4410

"Research shows that learners who have a combination of professional instruction and private practice do better at the driving test. On average, those who pass have had 47 hours of professional instruction and 20 hours of private practice."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring/learnerandnewdrivers/practicaltest/dg_4022483

I know I was expecting around 20, but my instructor said otherwise..I reckon I ended up having more like 70!!

HOLA4411

To be honest I'm quite surprised about some of the answers, I do remember reading somewhere that you needed "one lesson for every year of your age"

I was 19 when I took my test (in 1979), I had around 25 lessons but only because there had recently been a driving examiners' strike and there was a long wait for tests so I just carried on having a lesson a week, passing time.

I don't think I would teach my boys to drive myself, I might have a high opinion of my own driving but like they say, there are three ways to drive, the right way, the wrong way, and the way to pass the test.

It is a slightly premature question, they are not quite 14 yet but I am looking at future planning. They are fascinated by cars and driving and both want to learn to drive as soon as they can.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

holy cow - 50 lessons!? that's not far off what I needed for my PPL and that's another level of complexity altogether.

I had less than twenty lessons and passed first time. My brighter twin sister had her test after me on the same day and just assumed she'd sail through even cutting up our L plates in a mini celebratory moment. She went on to fail another five attempts. :D

Back in 1996 we paid £10.90 for a 50minute lesson.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I've heard two hours for every year of your age. I'd recommend taking lessons of two hours at a time as it gets you into a rhythm that single lessons might not. It was a real confidence builder for me.

As for lesson costs it also works out slightly cheaper to block book up front. I think my parents bought me 20 hours at the start.

I learnt in 2 hour blocks when i was 24. Must have had 50 hours or so. I think the 2 hour blocks burn through you time/lessons/money far quicker.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

25 lessons 25 years ago, fiver a lesson.

Emergency brake part of test, before compulsory seatbelt days

Examiner "Now, when I tap this piece of paper on the dashboard I want you to stop the car etc etc

Immediately after the examiner said this a car pulled out and followed every turn I made for the next 5 minutes until they took a different route.

We were now driving along a typical surburban leafy road, so I start to anticipate the tap of paper especially as the examiner is looking in rear view mirror.

A ball comes out between parked cars followed by child. Emergency stop applied. Examiner's forehead connects with windscreen, bruise the size of an egg.

Failed the test when reversing round corner and didn't notice the dain cover was missing and back wheel went down hole.

HOLA4418

Spoke to an instructor a couple of months ago.

They don't get paid well. They're self-employed and receive bookings through agencies, which take a large chunk of the up-front fee. Plus the instructors have to accept block-bookings at a serious discount.

The instructor told me he's earning less than he was 15 years ago, but doing the same amount of work.

Serious rethink needed on self-employment and agencies.

HOLA4419

50 lessons FFS?!?!?!?

I did 6 'proper' lessons and passed first time, with plenty of driving out with my Dad.

Cars are easier to drive now than they've ever been, WTF does anyone need 50 lessons for ??? You could learn to fly a fooking helicopter in that time :blink:

I'm genuinely baffled - more so than when I finished reading 'A Brief History Of Time'

Buckers

Ditto. (except the Brief History of Time - cracking read).

HOLA4420

Yup. I had 4 hours worth then told my instructor I was going to take the test. To his credit he didn't try to stop me.

To be fair, I do have some natural talent with driving / piloting and had been riding a bike regularly for a couple of years beforehand.

What you could do is find some on board videos and go through hazard perception with them. Other than practising actual car control that's probably the best thing you can do to ensure their safety.

Archived