House Price Crash Forum

Living Overseas -- merged threads

Realistbear

HOLA441
Guest Mr Parry
Looking at this suicide map, we could say that Australia, NZ, central Europe, China, Japan, and Russia are not great places to live. The best place looks like South America, the UK doesn't seem to do too bad. (BTW, I think pas de donnees means 'No Data').

Suicide_rates_map-fr.png

I notice the suicide rate is lower in the Far East than it is in Britian?

Mmmmmm . . . .

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
I notice the suicide rate is lower in the Far East than it is in Britian?

Mmmmmm . . . .

Largely a cultural thing?

About 5,000 per year in the U.K, 34,000 in Japan. Three times as high a rate, given that Japan has double the population.

But , during the eighties boom (in Japan) there were only an average of around 22,000 a year. I wonder if the suicide rate will also rise by a third here in the event of a severe recession ?

If any of you on here are contemplating suicide, please let us know how you got on.

Btw, collecting data on suicide is a hobby of mine...that and gardening.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Yes, very odd. I think they're trying to target tourists - given that most people can't just go and work in California - but the advert really does come across as trying to persuade you to go and live there rather than work there. I wonder if they made it for showing in the US as well and didn't want to spend extra on an overseas version? Anyone living in the US seen this advert?

I just watched it again on their website and it is definitely geared towards showing the benefits of working in California, even down to Arnie asking "When can you start?" at the end? But I think you are right in that it looks like it was aimed at US citizens and they have not changed it to us Brits. Unless, of course, they are trying to attract Brits over there now - I recall Arnie meeting with Blair a few months ago so maybe he fell in love with us?

The ad contains 'rebuttals' of the commute several times which I know which is what alot of people around LA and San Fran complain about now. Houses have become so expensive that people have found themselves living furthr and further from their places of work, like us, and the combination of the two have driven lots of professionals out of California to other States.

HOLA446
Guest Mr Parry
Largely a cultural thing?

About 5,000 per year in the U.K, 34,000 in Japan. Three times as high a rate, given that Japan has double the population.

But , during the eighties boom (in Japan) there were only an average of around 22,000 a year. I wonder if the suicide rate will also rise by a third here in the event of a severe recession ?

If any of you on here are contemplating suicide, please let us know how you got on.

Btw, collecting data on suicide is a hobby of mine...that and gardening.

I do doubt Thailand's figures. I was reading in the Bangkok post about psychological problems over there. It was a massive proportion with depression and also schizophrenia. However, I do on a daily basis consider bumping one's self off.

It's the weather.

Always grey.

CD, if you are feeling down, consider getting an Seasonal Affected Disorder Lightbox, helps no end with the winter blues.

HOLA447
Yes, it's all f*cked up isn't it? The recruiting situation in NYC (which is the only US market I know really well) is a little easier since most banks are happy to handle H1 transfers. They won't touch people without a visa at all for the most part though (outside of a few big hitters in front office trading jobs). If your friend was done for a misdemeanor he'll probably be ok (I've been through that with someone and it came good after a lot of form filling), if it was a felony it'll be a lot harder. I assume he can keep working on a TN1 (or whatever the NAFTA skilled employee visa is) pretty much indefinitely though.

The yanks really need to get their immigration act together - it's about the hardest place in the world to work legally and about the easiest place to work illegally from what I've seen!

I can't recall which US Writer made the comment recently that all Americans are convinced their ancestors came over on the Mayflower and are proud of all that "bring us your huddled masses" stuff but, when it comes down to it, they don't really want anyone else coming to America, apart from illegal Spanish whom they can pay peanuts to and control them by fear of expelling them, so have made it incredibly difficult for anyone to work there.

They also are convinced that everyone is desperate to go and live in America and many Americans seem totally oblivious to the fact that many countries have as good, or better, quality of Life and its people have no interest in becoming 'Americans'!

HOLA448
I do doubt Thailand's figures. I was reading in the Bangkok post about psychological problems over there. It was a massive proportion with depression and also schizophrenia. However, I do on a daily basis consider bumping one's self off.

It's the weather.

Always grey.

CD, if you are feeling down, consider getting an Seasonal Affected Disorder Lightbox, helps no end with the winter blues.

Ladyboys = transexuals = all sorts of emotional issues regarding gender = depression.

Frankly, with all so many men actively wanting to be women I am surprised the suicide rate is not higher. Having said that, I guess it is easier(?) to be a transexual in Thailand than in the UK?

Is it something in the water?

HOLA449
Guest Mr Parry
Ladyboys = transexuals = all sorts of emotional issues regarding gender = depression.

Frankly, with all so many men actively wanting to be women I am surprised the suicide rate is not higher. Having said that, I guess it is easier(?) to be a transexual in Thailand than in the UK?

Is it something in the water?

You could be right Tulip. There do seem to be gender issues.

I'm married with kids by the way. No issues here. Yes I do have depression, but it's a seasonal thing only in the UK. Oh and also HPC.co.uk, which I'd find more depressing by the day if it wasn't for you're company Tulip.

HOLA4410

Next time you are out in Thailand Mr. Parry try and check out the Thai Skyros resort in Koh Chang.

I have heard incredible things about the Skyros holistic centres and am considering going there myself. Apparently, people have life-changing experiences at them. People even claim their lives have been saved by Skyros.

http://skyros.co.uk/

HOLA4411
Guest Mr Parry
Next time you are out in Thailand Mr. Parry try and check out the Thai Skyros resort in Koh Chang.

I have heard incredible things about the Skyros holistic centres and am considering going there myself. Apparently, people have life-changing experiences at them. People even claim their lives have been saved by Skyros.

http://skyros.co.uk/

Thanks Tulip, Koh Chang's just round the corner from mine.

HOLA4412

It's the weather.

Always grey.

When I was in my early twenties I can remember thinking that if went to a hot and sunny country I would at last be a bit happier than in cold , dark England. Sadly I found that this was not the case.

I am lucky enough to have a very large ,south facing livingroom window. Maybe that's enough to prevent winter blues.Going outside also helps !

Btw, MP , HAPPY new year!!

P.S. You only live twice. Once when you are born and again when you look death in the face....(Basho ?)

HOLA4413
Guest Mr Parry
When I was in my early twenties I can remember thinking that if went to a hot and sunny country I would at last be a bit happier than in cold , dark England. Sadly I found that this was not the case.

I am lucky enough to have a very large ,south facing livingroom window. Maybe that's enough to prevent winter blues.Going outside also helps !

Btw, MP , HAPPY new year!!

P.S. You only live twice. Once when you are born and again when you look death in the face....(Basho ?)

Your're the first person to say that to me . . . Happy New Year to you CD!

Yes, this moving abroad bit, I think it gives many on this blog site hope, but in reality . . .

HOLA4414

There is a link from that Skyros website I mentioned to this - http://www.joyofburnout.com/

I thoroughly recommend the book - The Joy of Burnout: How the End of the World Can Be a New Beginning - to anyone who is feeling blue, down in the dumps, stressed, burnt out or even anxious and depressed about their Life.

HOLA4415
Guest Mr Parry
There is a link from that Skyros website I mentioned to this - http://www.joyofburnout.com/

I thoroughly recommend the book - The Joy of Burnout: How the End of the World Can Be a New Beginning - to anyone who is feeling blue, down in the dumps, stressed, burnt out or even anxious and depressed about their Life.

Burnout, yes. You know me too well Tulip. Thanks.

HOLA4416
Burnout, yes. You know me too well Tulip. Thanks.

It takes one to know one.

A friend of mine is an intensive treatment unit Doc. I got to know here when my Mum was ill and dying in the ITU.

She has done the World's most detailed study into near death experiences in an ICU, they are called ITUs nowadays, or intensive treatment unit. Last Christmas she gave me a book called Lessons from the Light: What We Can Learn from the Near-death Experience by a chap called Dr. Kenneth Ring.

Between this book and the Joy of Burnout one they dramatically changed my life. The former is very odd as when you read it you keep saying to yourself "I knew that" which is kind of interesting if you are into the big questions of who I am, why am I here and where am I going?

We don't come here to work 9 to 5, to make money on shares, drive Top Gear style cars or have huge BTL porfolios. Sadly, somewhere between coming here and getting here we seem to forget all of that. Most never get a chance to remember it but for some it is always there in our subconcious... telling us that we are not doing what we are meant to do... making us unhappy... making us miserable and depressed.

I think burnout is a point when our body, mind and soul finally says enough is enough!

Anyhow, there is light at the end of the tunnel... even when you are convinced that the tunnel has no end or when you are questioning whether the darkness you are in is actually a tunnel at all.

I recommend both books to anyone and everyone.

HOLA4417
Yes, the large proportion of people with narrow cruel mind sets is depressing. The really ironic part is that these very same people consider themselves closer to God than anyone else!

Do they not stop to think thier God would surely turn away people with thier wicked, superior disposition?

I think its down to so many of them being unlearned and that the original Pilgrim fathers mission was to create 'heaven on Earth' :ph34r: , and to this day the inhabitants think it was job done, thank you very much.

Some think it is a pity they invaded W Europe in 1944 which prevented the much more amiable left-wing Atheist Russians from establishing themselves more widely than they did. I think the same goes for Korea which would now be benefitting from a less right-wing system under the non-religious Nothern Regime. Far better, IMO, to have Atheist Biggots like the Soviets and N Koreans running things than the westernized non-atheist biggots that are now running Korea, Japan and most of Western Europe. In fact, we would all have been better off under the Germans who were Atheists and far less cruel and narrow minded than the relgious zealots from the US. And now we are seeing Blair's true colours--a religious zealot after all! It should be law in this country that anyone who is a relgious biggot should not be allowed to hodl public office. IIRC, Brown is another one of them and some kind of nutter from the "manse."

<_<

HOLA4418
Some think it is a pity they invaded W Europe in 1944 which prevented the much more amiable left-wing Atheist Russians from establishing themselves more widely than they did. I think the same goes for Korea which would now be benefitting from a less right-wing system under the non-religious Nothern Regime. Far better, IMO, to have Atheist Biggots like the Soviets and N Koreans running things than the westernized non-atheist biggots that are now running Korea, Japan and most of Western Europe. In fact, we would all have been better off under the Germans who were Atheists and far less cruel and narrow minded than the relgious zealots from the US. And now we are seeing Blair's true colours--a religious zealot after all! It should be law in this country that anyone who is a relgious biggot should not be allowed to hodl public office. IIRC, Brown is another one of them and some kind of nutter from the "manse."

<_<

Isn't an athiest a religious zealot?

HOLA4419
In fact, we would all have been better off under the Germans who were Atheists and far less cruel and narrow minded than the relgious zealots from the US.

<_<

Not me. My Dad was a Pole in the Free Polish Army, as were several of his brothers and a cousin who flew in the Battle of Britain.

I think the Germans would have me worked to death in a slave factory, gassed in a death camp or simply summarily executed with a bullet to the head. Oh, they did like hanging people with piano wire didn't they so that could been an option.

Can't say I agree with you on this point RB. Also, I am Welsh anyhow and I guess the Germans would have looked on the Welsh as no different to other ethnic groups in Europe whom they either worked to death or just murdered.

As Indianna Jones says: "I hate Nazis!"

HOLA4420
Not me. My Dad was a Pole in the Free Polish Army, as were several of his brothers and a cousin who flew in the Battle of Britain.

I think the Germans would have me worked to death in a slave factory, gassed in a death camp or simply summarily executed with a bullet to the head. Oh, they did like hanging people with piano wire didn't they so that could been an option.

Can't say I agree with you on this point RB. Also, I am Welsh anyhow and I guess the Germans would have looked on the Welsh as no different to other ethnic groups in Europe whom they either worked to death or just murdered.

As Indianna Jones says: "I hate Nazis!"

I think RB was trying to be ironic

HOLA4421

Have been considering emmigration to Canada (East Coast)

Why ? ................................ mostly because I have dear friends there who'll help me find my feet but also felt quite comfortable and unthreatened which is a sight more than I can say for this god-foresaken land . Having problems meeting the entry criteria though !

HOLA4422
Isn't an athiest a religious zealot?

Indeed. Any extremist who is intolerant of or unduly critical of another's belief's could be described as a religious zealot. Live and let live is my motto on things "religious." When they start blowing people up, burning them at the stake or prohibiting freedom to follow one's own conscience and so forth there is a problem.

I have lived in both the UK and US for roughly equal periods of time and, TBH, have found both countries extremely tolerant of whatever "religion" takes your fancy. Try this in some countries around the world and you end up in prison--or worse. That is why living in the US, UK and most of Western Europe is amiable.

If you want liberal in the US anywhere in the Northeast will suit. Vermont, NH and Massachusets are all extremely liberal and allow same-sex marriage, vote liberal-democratic and hardly ever go to church unless it is an "anything goes" Unitarian/Anglican or conservative Catholic. There are also extreme liberal areas in Northern CA (San Francisco maybe the most liberal City on the planet), parts of Colorado and any of the Canadian border states, Washington especially. If you want a mixture of liberal and conservative, Southern CA fits the bill along with most of the Southwest. The only hardline "religious" states are probably Mississipi and, well, er...... I think that may be it. The next prezzy will be hardline liberal--the Bill and Hilary show--they only show up at a liberal Methodist church for a photoshoot.

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA4423

What is interesting and also stomach turning about Blair's religiosity is that he has followed it through in his essentially honourable behaviour towards the Scottish psychobully. Which is more than can be said in return. Perhaps Manse religious lore allows headbutting?

Back to the OP question - the sterling slide currently going into crsah mode may well focus many potential emigrees minds in these cold first months of 2008. I expect a surge in sell-ups - "it's now or never Mildred...." going on. All grist to the HPC mill....... Frankly, the way Stalin is continuing with his tractor production inflation data we are all set for total disaster. The fact that even the VI sharetipsters and EAs are more than a little glooy about the year ahead means virtual armageddon for this cold, arrogant, 'overdue a good whipping in the eyes of the rest of the world' country. :ph34r:

HOLA4424
I think RB was trying to be ironic

Yup! IMO, the US is a very free society and upholds the separation of church and state "relgiously." Try saying a prayer in a state run school and you will find out how hardline the US is AGAINST anything religious in schools. The separtio of church and state clause in the Bill of Rights was the result of lobbying by the Baptists who were tired of being persecuted by New England Congregationalists who did not allow Baptists to preach without a "license" which only the Congregationalist government could issue. A quick read of English History and the abuse of freedom by the Catholic and then the Anglican Church and you begin to see why America is intolerant of religious control. YOu can set up any kind of relgion in the US you want and have the recognition of the government to do so-provided you do not abuse the criminal law or try to restrict the freedom of others to choose not to attend your "church."

I think we have the same level of freedom from religion in the UK. No one forces you to attend any kind of religious thing here or in the US.

I do agree though with MT, had Hitler taken over Europe in a scenario where the US kept isolated, it would probably be a far less amaible place than it is today. Likewise, had Stalin kept the tanks rolling past Germany into Portugal. IMO, far better liberal-democracy under the US than the fascism of Stalin or Hitler. Some are even labelling the Islamists as fascists as they tolerate no one who refuses to submit to Allah. Even mis-naming a Teddy bear can bring down a death sentence! I think that is why no one on here has mentioned an Islamic country as a possible place to emigrate. The US comes up a lot--perhaps more than any other country. I wonder why?

HOLA4425
Yup! IMO, the US is a very free society and upholds the separation of church and state "relgiously." Try saying a prayer in a state run school and you will find out how hardline the US is AGAINST anything religious in schools. The separtio of church and state clause in the Bill of Rights was the result of lobbying by the Baptists who were tired of being persecuted by New England Congregationalists who did not allow Baptists to preach without a "license" which only the Congregationalist government could issue. A quick read of English History and the abuse of freedom by the Catholic and then the Anglican Church and you begin to see why America is intolerant of religious control. YOu can set up any kind of relgion in the US you want and have the recognition of the government to do so-provided you do not abuse the criminal law or try to restrict the freedom of others to choose not to attend your "church."

I think we have the same level of freedom from religion in the UK. No one forces you to attend any kind of religious thing here or in the US.

I do agree though with MT, had Hitler taken over Europe in a scenario where the US kept isolated, it would probably be a far less amaible place than it is today. Likewise, had Stalin kept the tanks rolling past Germany into Portugal. IMO, far better liberal-democracy under the US than the fascism of Stalin or Hitler. Some are even labelling the Islamists as fascists as they tolerate no one who refuses to submit to Allah. Even mis-naming a Teddy bear can bring down a death sentence! I think that is why no one on here has mentioned an Islamic country as a possible place to emigrate. The US comes up a lot--perhaps more than any other country. I wonder why?

Sadly it is trendy and fashionable for liberal types to be anti American in this country. Equally, it is quite fashionable for liberals in the US to be anti-British. Just look at all those Hollywood films where there is a line or two that insults the British. They would never dream of saying the same thing about Islamofascists because they know the mad mullahs would begin with protests in the streets and finish up with killing people.

Maybe that is the strenght of the relationship between the US and UK though - true friends can say bad thing about each other.

Both the UK and the US are not perfect by any means. Both counties have their faults but there are a lot worse places to be born in the World. I am thankful I was not born in many other countries and out of the 6 billion people on the planet I know there are literally BILLIONS worse off than probably anyone who posts on this board.

Only last night I was listening to a radio doc about 14 million people who have died of AIDS in Africa. Of a 90 year old woman who is bringing up her 12 year old grandson, who has AIDS, because his parents have both died of AIDS. She walks 15 miles every week to ask the local Doctors for AIDS medicine for her grandchild but, as children with HIV rarely survive in Africa, there is a plicy of not giving the all too rare medicine to children.

I cannot imagine having that responsibility now. It exhausts me to think about it. I cannot imagine a woman in her 90s having that responsibility.

Sorry, I have gone off on a rant...

p.s.

Yes RB, the irony of your previous post went flying over my head taking a small charter to Ibiza :blink: I think it must be the Polish genes. You only have to mention Germans and I turn into Corporal Jones!