House Price Crash Forum

Tough Times Ahead

HOLA441

Wilko own brand curtain track is OK. I use it!

B)

Quite often the tat in Wilko is cheaper than the same tat in Poundland. I think bleach for example was 58p in Wilko, £1 in Poundworld :lol:

+1 B)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

And you can buy stamps, and top-up your mobile (yes even Asda Mobile) there

I get my coffee there - £1 a jar of Red Mountain or their own very good brand, although I hit the other discount chains for bags of Douwe Egberts coffee for filter machines (£1 a 150g bag)

That's why Wilkinson is jammed with people most times I'm there, and yes plenty of staff to help, so they are doing a lot of things right

HOLA444

I can only speak as I find :) I have never had a problem with a purchase from them (that I can remember anyway) although once bought a water cartridge that didn't fit and they took it back without quibble despite me having opened the pack

The parcel tape seems fine btw. They sell lots of brands too - everything from Yale safes to boxes of Ty-phoo 100s tea for £1.15

Anyone who can afford a Dualit toaster isn't going to be attracted to discount shopping - until the day they realise they could have afforded other little luxuries if they had saved where they could

If ever there was a signal of an impending debt crisis, the sale of £100 toasters was it. Mine was £14 and is still going strong. I've spent the other £86 on better bread.

HOLA445

If ever there was a signal of an impending debt crisis, the sale of £100 toasters was it. Mine was £14 and is still going strong. I've spent the other £86 on better bread.

Mine was £4 and something. Cookworks from Sainsburys and I've had it for several years now. I've also got a Cookworks kettle which I've had for several years.

Mind you, the first Cookworks kettle failed within the year so I got my money back.

The second likewise but the third has been fine ever since. When my daughter's £20 job failed within 2 years I bought her a Cookworks and that is also going well.

HOLA446

I was asked to quote for business in Wilkinsons. They weren't prepared to compromise on quality. They would rather reduce the pack size instead of cheapening the ingredients.

Every time I've picked up and looked at some of their own brand tools I've thought here's a company that doesn't compromise on quality. :rolleyes:

They could, of course, reached their headline price point by taking a margin hit.

HOLA447

Having used a Dualit toaster quite a few times at a friend's I can say they are very, very nice. However they are not that nice that I'd spend what he did, and my own toaster is a secondhand one from a local charity's stall (PAT tested) - it cost me £2.50 and is made by Tesco in a brushed steel finish. My spare is made by Crown and cost £5 new, absolutely fine also

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dualit-Slice-Toaster-Stainless-20245/dp/B00008BQZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323292336&sr=8-1

Which reminds me - I have to buy a small electric slow cooker to take to Poland when I return - you can't buy cheap ones there at all, in fact I hardly saw any. The local charity shop regularly sell top notch ones for about seven notes, because seems the majority of people in this town now just stuff their face with processed junk and ready meals and then hurry out back to work so that they can pay the rent or mortgage for the over-priced shitehole they are forced to call a home and costs (according to BBC Look East) 11x local salary

HOLA448
HOLA449

More on Wilkinsons. I've bought stationary, paints, draught excluders, DIY bits, tools, kitchenware, garden tools, bike tyres/tools, glues, etc. Great shop, and few parasites on them to make them put up their prices and be run poorly. Plenty of staff around to help look for things, and queues are kept down. Running a shop isn't rocket science; they are doing something right.

These are their main problems:

Mostly leasehold locations in High St locations where footfall is in decline and what footfall there is left is mostly of a low income demographic ( outside the M25 anyway)

Expensive distribution model that involves running artics that do 8mpg round full of kitchen rolls and sponge scourers that add up to very little retail value. Added to this awkward to access stores where tipping wagons by tail-lift is time-consuming - some may even have loading time restrictions.

Effectively they'll be left, on the High St, with other non-food discounters and value fashion chains, fighting over whatever amount of income the state decides to hand out to the jobless and pensioners, using a distribution model that can never be as cost-effective as the supermarkets.

At the moment the biggest thing they've got going for them is they're handy for non-car owners and the supermarkets haven't really penetrated the diy/hardware market as well as they should have - evidenced by the surprisingly large number of independent hardware shops still surviving on customers whose preferred buying method is asking at a counter for 'one of those things, you know, the thing for the thing' (imagine charades style arm gesticulations at the same time).

HOLA4410

stuff their face with processed junk and ready meals and then hurry out back to work so that they can pay the rent or mortgage for the over-priced shitehole

That's about right. Theres a new "higher end" frozen food (chain) shop opening that sells frozen meals like Icelands, but for middle class people.

It's not farmfoods either, I can't remember the name of it...

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

That's about right. Theres a new "higher end" frozen food (chain) shop opening that sells frozen meals like Icelands, but for middle class people.

Cook - I would guess

Expanded very rapidly - mostly within the M25 unsurprisingly - think it will struggle out in the provinces TBH. Never sure why people think things that work in London can just be rolled out across the UK willy nilly.

Edit to add: think it's very unlikely anyone would mix it up with Farmfoods

Edited by Soon Not a Chain Retailer

HOLA4413

At the moment the biggest thing they've got going for them is they're handy for non-car owners and the supermarkets haven't really penetrated the diy/hardware market as well as they should have - evidenced by the surprisingly large number of independent hardware shops still surviving on customers whose preferred buying method is asking at a counter for 'one of those things, you know, the thing for the thing' (imagine charades style arm gesticulations at the same time).

I know what you're referring to - we have one up the road, their target market is middle class dinner party consumers, the Chelsea tractor brigade. I think it's a franchise, they seem to be doing OK, I think the kitchens are in Kent. Nice staff in the local one, they often see me browse but I don't buy, I just go in to check the prices and meal ideas

The Dualit toasters are pretty good, they are better than most ordinary toasters, but I still wouldn't pay more than £20 for one myself

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

A market leading UK retailer will be downsizing their workforce by 10% in the new year whilst cutting benefits for those that remain. 2012 wont be pretty

Are they really a market leader? Aren't they just a shop that everyone hates and that is nailed on to die?

HOLA4418

Having used a Dualit toaster quite a few times at a friend's I can say they are very, very nice. However they are not that nice that I'd spend what he did, and my own toaster is a secondhand one from a local charity's stall (PAT tested) - it cost me £2.50 and is made by Tesco in a brushed steel finish. My spare is made by Crown and cost £5 new, absolutely fine also

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dualit-Slice-Toaster-Stainless-20245/dp/B00008BQZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323292336&sr=8-1

Which reminds me - I have to buy a small electric slow cooker to take to Poland when I return - you can't buy cheap ones there at all, in fact I hardly saw any. The local charity shop regularly sell top notch ones for about seven notes, because seems the majority of people in this town now just stuff their face with processed junk and ready meals and then hurry out back to work so that they can pay the rent or mortgage for the over-priced shitehole they are forced to call a home and costs (according to BBC Look East) 11x local salary

Toaster redundancy for £7.50. Sir I salute you.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

A market leading UK retailer will be downsizing their workforce by 10% in the new year whilst cutting benefits for those that remain. 2012 wont be pretty

Don't think it's Tesco - there's a new store in Fareham (wow I had to go and see the beast), or Morrisons (2 new ones planned in the area).

HOLA4422

Wilkinson doing very well today - not quite as busy yesterday but today ... well every checkout was open and had a queue

Not surprising because a lot of the stuff is frankly priced to attract, just a small example - parcel tape which most of us use this time of year - @80p in there, same size of roll almost everywhere else @£1.50+

Shopping street and mall today packed

Parcel tape should be about 30p a roll if you use a bit of it. But good value for retail.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425