House Price Crash Forum

My Computer Is Uploading Without My Knowledge

inflating

HOLA441

Using a mobile broadband dongle, the software with the dongle lets me know what I am using.

Right now for example in this session, it says downloaded 5.2MB, uploaded 1.1MB

What is being uploaded? Nothing that I am sending

It is using up my data allowance

My firewall also warns me a few times an hour "Port Scanning Attack" with an IP address, one of which starts with a 69.162 and another 221.194 and another 58.218 Looking at the log, looks like a PSA 3 times an hour when using the dongle

So what's going on? Any ideas, hope it's not what it looks like

HOLA442
HOLA443

Stop posting so much on HPC! :P

More seriously, web browsing is always bidirectional, everytime you click on a link your browser needs to send many requests to fetch all elements of a page (many web pages these days have easily 50 or more elements), so web browsing always also created outgoing traffic (a ratio of 5:1 doesn't seem extraordinary to me).

HOLA444

My firewall also warns me a few times an hour "Port Scanning Attack" with an IP address, one of which starts with a 69.162 and another 221.194 and another 58.218 Looking at the log, looks like a PSA 3 times an hour when using the dongle

So what's going on? Any ideas, hope it's not what it looks like

This is also normal, its why you need a firewall, theres a lot of bad people out there scanning constantly.

HOLA445

Disable all your torrents...

Not sure what a torrent is but if it's part of a larger file which you allow others to download, then I'm not involved in that and never use torrents

Stop posting so much on HPC! :P

More seriously, web browsing is always bidirectional, everytime you click on a link your browser needs to send many requests to fetch all elements of a page (many web pages these days have easily 50 or more elements), so web browsing always also created outgoing traffic (a ratio of 5:1 doesn't seem extraordinary to me).

:lol:

thanks, useful info

This is also normal, its why you need a firewall, theres a lot of bad people out there scanning constantly.

I've got Nod and also Windows own firewall switched on, but maybe both of them together is not a good idea? Not sure (never had these warnings when using wi-fi broadband at my last place, or in Poland using wifi there)

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Using a mobile broadband dongle, the software with the dongle lets me know what I am using.

What is being uploaded? Nothing that I am sending

It is using up my data allowance

Are you running Skype? That sends and receives enormous amounts of data in the background when its idle, as its a peer-to-peer application.

You can disable it by going to Tools - Options - Advanced - Connection and unchecking the box marked "Use port 80 and 443 for alternative for incoming connections"

Are you running any background software. I use Jungle Disk to backup, but its Jungle Disk Desktop software, which by default runs in the background, also seems to feel the need to send data backwards and forwards at all times.

Also, though, check and see if uploaded data affects your data allowance. I'm pretty sure it didn't used to on Three, but I'm no longer in the country.

HOLA449

So, you know then? :D

It doesn't tell me where the data goes though, just the volume :)

Are you running Skype? That sends and receives enormous amounts of data in the background when its idle, as its a peer-to-peer application.

You can disable it by going to Tools - Options - Advanced - Connection and unchecking the box marked "Use port 80 and 443 for alternative for incoming connections"

Are you running any background software. I use Jungle Disk to backup, but its Jungle Disk Desktop software, which by default runs in the background, also seems to feel the need to send data backwards and forwards at all times.

Also, though, check and see if uploaded data affects your data allowance. I'm pretty sure it didn't used to on Three, but I'm no longer in the country.

Got Skype on but it's not loaded or minimised, I only start it when I need it, I have nevertheless been into Skype and made the change as you said, not sure what the downside is to unchecking the box but have done it - thank you

Archived