House Price Crash Forum

Telegraph : House Prices 'will Be Cut By Planning Reforms'

nmarks

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/james-kirkup/

The value of properties will be driven down by the Government’s planning reforms, council officials have warned.

The Planning Officers’ Society (POS) has told ministers their proposals will mean homes are “blighted” by the prospect of new developments in their areas.

The society, which represents senior planning officers and managers for local councils, also said the supposedly pro-growth rules would make it harder for companies to do business and create jobs.

Edited by nmarks

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

There are 2 parts of Mumbles where there is now a planning permission process going on - one in the heart of Mumbles and the other one cliffs over-looking the Bristol Channel.

I personally do not think houses should be built in either - it would be nice to think that if permission is given then affordable housing is built in both locations - but the truth is that they will built hugely over-priced housing in both locations.

But there are big protests and petitions underway now from the NIMBYS who, from what I can make out, are most people in their 50s and much olders who bought in the area many years ago at a fraction of today's prices. They claim to want to protect the land, which may well be true, but I suspect protecting their house prices is important.

Interestingly, in both locations houses that have been on the market for some time have all suddenly began to drop their asking prices in the past 10 days - mainly the location that currently has open countryside behind them to the Bristol Channel but, if permission is given, will lose their view and have a housing estate behind them.

So, yes, even the possibility of such planning going ahead is causing asking prices to drop.

HOLA447

There are 2 parts of Mumbles where there is now a planning permission process going on - one in the heart of Mumbles and the other one cliffs over-looking the Bristol Channel.

I personally do not think houses should be built in either - it would be nice to think that if permission is given then affordable housing is built in both locations - but the truth is that they will built hugely over-priced housing in both locations.

But there are big protests and petitions underway now from the NIMBYS who, from what I can make out, are most people in their 50s and much olders who bought in the area many years ago at a fraction of today's prices. They claim to want to protect the land, which may well be true, but I suspect protecting their house prices is important.

Interestingly, in both locations houses that have been on the market for some time have all suddenly began to drop their asking prices in the past 10 days - mainly the location that currently has open countryside behind them to the Bristol Channel but, if permission is given, will lose their view and have a housing estate behind them.

So, yes, even the possibility of such planning going ahead is causing asking prices to drop.

location location location.

It's interesting to see that location can change even if you don't move. But then it did for many when they latched onto the rule that building in your own garden was allowed. Lot's saw the good side of that (for themselves).

Hope the housing is affordable for the youngsters. That would be good, a row of three story terraced and semis along the cliff edge. Would be interesting.

To solve Nimby problem can't we have the same as the plant a tree scheme. When you chopped one down you had to plant two more. Why not the same for developed land, twice as much put aside and wild. Then the impact on the environment would actually be a positive and bang goes the argument (other than a selfish c*ck attitude of course).

HOLA448

I still have yet to work out exactly what the term "affordable housing" means. Anybody?

HOLA449

What are the NIMBYs putting up in the way of sacrifice, in order to prevent others from building homes for themselves? Very little, other than self serving letter writing and protests.

No one owns a view. People own the property which creates the view. If people want to keep 'their' view, then they need to buy the property which forms it. If they don't want it that much, then they should STFU.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

What are the NIMBYs putting up in the way of sacrifice, in order to prevent others from building homes for themselves? Very little, other than self serving letter writing and protests.

No one owns a view. People own the property which creates the view. If people want to keep 'their' view, then they need to buy the property which forms it. If they don't want it that much, then they should STFU.

So if it was a motorway being built right outside your front door you'd be saying the same?

HOLA4414

I still have yet to work out exactly what the term "affordable housing" means. Anybody?

It's just word-wang, anyone who mentions "affordable housing" is by non admission admitting that most housing is unaffordable, the cognotive dissonance must be ignored at all costs or the truth will have to be admitted that housing in the UK is a disgusting scam with the sole intention of enslaving generations to perpetual debt or dependance on the state for their wellbeing,the basic need for shelter from the elements and a place to raise a family.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

So if it was a motorway being built right outside your front door you'd be saying the same?

There is compensation for that under the act. Not exactly the same and bringing up extremes doesn't help your argument anyway. We need more houses, we therefore need available land. Even more so we need affordable houses. This ticks all the boxes but of course there will be winners and losers. The winners have won for far too long IMO.

HOLA4417

NIMBYs always hide behind these arguments but really have alterior motives (in this case no falls in house prices). The Countryside Alliance, English Heritage or Mrs Potter who bought her 5 bedder in the early 60's.