House Price Crash Forum

'mummy Says I'm Old Enough To Look After Myself': What Boy, 4, Told Police After Benefits Mother Left Him And Baby Brother Home Alone In Filthy House

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2020464/Emily-Harbour-Mother-avoids-jail-leaving-baby-son-squalid-Newbury-house.html

Officers had to force their way past bags of rubbish, soiled nappies and blood-stained blankets

Children were found among urine, excrement and rotting food

A mother who left her two young children 'home alone' surrounded by excrement and rotting food has avoided jail despite an appalling case of child neglect.

Emily Harbour, 22, left her 14-month-old baby boy and his four-year-old brother to fend for themselves for 90 minutes while she visited a boyfriend.

Police were confronted with a sickening stench as they forced their way past bags of rubbish, soiled nappies and blood-stained blankets when they broke into the house in Newbury, Berkshire.

When the boys' grandmother arrived the court heard that she was horrified and left visibly upset by the condition of the house.

Police discovered Harbour, who receives £900 pounds a month in benefits, at the home of her partner - over five minutes' drive away.

Harbour claimed that she had left her children in order to go to her boyfriend's house to use his computer to look for a new home as they were being evicted in a matter of days.

What a great system we've got in this country, get children get free money. If the house really was in the state what is being described didn't her family ever visit or the neighbours complain over the smell.

Although a little disappointed with the Wail as no mention what the house is worth.

HOLA442

Just look at that lovely house I'll never be able to afford. Not surprised at all by the actions or the benefits. Pop one out, get £900, nice place to stay, play around on iphone and watch plasma tv, talk on facebook for 6+ hours a day. Rotten people.

HOLA443

One of my sisters popped one out. Got a council house right away. To be honest it's pretty awful with terrible neighbours, but the speed with which she got one! Benefits are ok, too. She's always been a bit of a layabout, never had a proper job.

Other sister is nearly finished high-school, used to be pretty smart. Now I swear she is on social networking sites almost EVERY hour of the day. It is highly depressing - she's now the size of a whale and can touch type sitting in front of that bright screen ever single second talking useless trash to imbeciles. All her friends are the same! The parents just let them carry on! I can't believe I'm from the same family/area at times!

It truly is the decay of society.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

One of my sisters popped one out. Got a council house right away. To be honest it's pretty awful with terrible neighbours, but the speed with which she got one! Benefits are ok, too. She's always been a bit of a layabout, never had a proper job.

Other sister is nearly finished high-school, used to be pretty smart. Now I swear she is on social networking sites almost EVERY hour of the day. It is highly depressing - she's now the size of a whale and can touch type sitting in front of that bright screen ever single second talking useless trash to imbeciles. All her friends are the same! The parents just let them carry on! I can't believe I'm from the same family/area at times!

I feel your pain, I have two Nephews 28 and 25, both still living at home, both have former partners with their kids, they are consumed by their mobiles, Facebook and Domino pizzas, very sad situation, I've tried speaking to my sister and her husband about the situation, they pay their car insurance, run their bank accounts and virtually allow them to live there rent free, my sister is a glorified housemaid.

I've told them over and over to do a bit of tough love, but they regard me as the one who has the problem lol, these boys were given everything we never had, gadgets, clothes, wrapped in cotton wool and now we are seeing the results and effects on society, very sad.

HOLA448

Maybe her solicitor used what must now be known in legal circles as "the McCann defence."

;-/

Why was the grandmother horrified?

Has it got to a state in a day? A week? A month?

Why is there no running water? They're not allowed to cut you off for non payment these days.

previously: left the boy with a 15-year-old girl while she attended a family party.

Well that's not illegal is it?

Harbour claimed that she had left her children in order to go to her boyfriend's house to use his computer to look for a new home as they were being evicted in a matter of days.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I feel your pain, I have two Nephews 28 and 25, both still living at home, both have former partners with their kids, they are consumed by their mobiles, Facebook and Domino pizzas, very sad situation, I've tried speaking to my sister and her husband about the situation, they pay their car insurance, run their bank accounts and virtually allow them to live there rent free, my sister is a glorified housemaid.

I've told them over and over to do a bit of tough love, but they regard me as the one who has the problem lol, these boys were given everything we never had, gadgets, clothes, wrapped in cotton wool and now we are seeing the results and effects on society, very sad.

+1, tnohing much to add! I'm also seen as the villain for mentioning anything. Rational discussion just doesn't happen!

HOLA4411

The coming depression will sort the wheat from the chaff.

Sink or swim.

HOLA4412

The coming depression will sort the wheat from the chaff.

Sink or swim.

How?

The govt won't reduce the amount people get because there's outcry at the idea of people only having 24k on benefits.

And they exempt anyone with a disabled kid.

Have a bit of savings and you have to spend them sensible/slowly before you get a bean.

The ones with "nothing" won't be hurt when inflation roars away at savings.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Its kids having kids these days...they are just not mature enough to have them...thanks to the skewed benefits system, they can knock um out a few years apart for the next twenty years..that way they can avoid getting a job from the age of 16 to 50..

One child every 12 years would do the trick

45 (ok, this one to take you through to your 'retirement').

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I thought that mothers had to look for a job once their child reached seven?

On paper you are indeed correct. The reality is somewhat different and this rule is difficult to enforce when there are children/child care issues to consider around any proposed 'work pattern'.

Archived