House Price Crash Forum

Taxi Drivers And White Van Man - Retrain As Bankers Now

HOLA441

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/driverless-cars-come-one-step-closer/258039

04 July 2011
  • Nevada legalises driverless cars
  • Science fiction becomes fact
  • Driverless taxis and delivery vehicles first

Driverless cars have been legalised in the US State of Nevada after lobbying by Google. The search engine giant has developed the technology and stands to benefit from its introduction.

The new legislation paves the way for cars that will drive themselves with no intervention from occupants.

An autonomous test vehicle has racked up 1000s of miles on the roads of California. A qualified driver has sat at the controls – but not touched them – to comply with the state's requirement for a human to be nominally in charge at all times. Only one collision was recorded, when another car hit the Google-controlled car while it was stationary at a junction.

Nevada has now eliminated the need for a qualified driver, and will be introducing regulations to:

• Authorise the operation of autonomous vehicles on highways within the state of Nevada

• Set the requirements that an autonomous vehicle must meet

• Set requirements for the insurance cover needed

• Establish minimum safety standards

• Provide for the testing of autonomous vehicles

• Restrict the testing of autonomous vehicles to specified geographic areas

The future

Taxis and delivery vans are now expected to go on trial with the new technology.

Not only in America

It's not just in America where such cars are being tested. The French city of La Rochelle has a small fleet of robot taxis that can be called to ranks on demand. Lasers are used to detect pedestrians and other traffic hazards, but because French law bars autonomous vehicles on public roads, a conductor has to be present at all times.

The EU-financed Safe Road Trains for the Environment (SARTRE) programme has been developing a system where a convoy of drone cars follows a lead vehicle driven by a professional driver.

The idea is that computer-controlled platoons of cars could make more efficient and safer use of motorways by travelling close together.

The SARTRE programme estimates that accidents could be reduced by 80% and that fuel consumption and emissions would both improve by 20%.

I wonder if Google will also replace Mondeo man and White Van man as typical target political constituents, or perhaps it already has.

Taxi!

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Machine will replace many forms of labour, both skilled and unskilled... (even greater) mass unemployment beckons. Just wait until AI takes on the professional classes..

Full employment is a folly and a ridiculous notion in our times. There is no need for full employment in a economy that uses permanent and stable money as its means of exchange.

HOLA445

Full employment is a folly and a ridiculous notion in our times. There is no need for full employment in a economy that uses permanent and stable money as its means of exchange.

So what happens to the unemployed?

It also makes a folly of the right wing argument that long term unemployed are idle/lazy.

Even bankers are becoming obsolete with computers doing all the trading.

Also if this takes off driving instructors won't be needed.

The other potential benefit is that insurance premiums would drop if all cars drive themselves as crashes will be few and far between.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Even bankers are becoming obsolete with computers doing all the trading.

Not quite. Some classes of traders have become obsolete - mainly the working class barrow boy types.

However the Eton educated - plum in the mouth - type banker has invented lots of new 'innovative' products that can only be traded using 'the human touch'. They also dominate in M&A, and have never liked having clever working class people in their industry, so are happy to be rid of them.

HOLA448
HOLA449

So what happens to the unemployed?

We have a big bloody infantry war with China, it relieves China's unemployment and population problem and it exterminates the unemployed in a semi acceptable manner.

Thus Hu Jintao invades Taiwan, a UN task force is sent to retake Taiwan and Omaha beach is replayed in Taiwan. Casulties number in the 10s of millions. Conscription is announced. You guys find yourselves in landing crafts asked to rush Chinese defences.

I find myself in a suspicious looking shower room.

Edited by ken_ichikawa

HOLA4410

We have a big bloody infantry war with China, it relieves China's unemployment and population problem and it exterminates the unemployed in a semi acceptable manner.

Thus Hu Jintao invades Taiwan, a UN task force is sent to retake Taiwan and Omaha beach is replayed in Taiwan. Casulties number in the 10s of millions. Conscription is announced. You guys find yourselves in landing crafts asked to rush Chinese defences.

Ah well. Great Britain, Her Empires and Her Allies always win. Several million British casualties, but we'll retake Hong Kong. And perhaps part of Shanghai. The Foreign Office no doubt will find new and exciting ways of utilising and then getting rid of those colonies in the coming century.

HOLA4411

One thing that always strikes me as odd is the claimed link between productivity and job creation- surely more productivity means less jobs, not more?

Yet this paradigm is routinely trotted out in the media as some kind of truism- 'we must become more efficient and productive in order to create more jobs!!!' :blink:

HOLA4412

I can say no to a woman driver, I can say no to a brown bloke that smells of curry, I can say 'no' to who I like. Crowd got smaller but hey, I am paying for a service not a way of helping you meet diversity targets.

I have ordered taxis from way out of the area before. Really not in the mood for doing it here but I will carry on ordering taxis from there,.. I know that the brown bods in the village do that dodgy take/away that got shut bdown= some bombay shit?

I dont care about their anonymity court orders. They employed foreigners and continue to. Show me one guy that speaks english and I will grab 5 that dont.

I fully understand why you are here and tables turned I would have done exactly the same but the boom times are over - time to find work somewhere else or go home, we cant support u anymore. Adios.

HOLA4413

Give it another 30 years and the elite wont need the working classes for anything - not even slave labour...

At that point the only question on thier minds will be - do we really want all these poor people polluting thier new eden?

I'm guessing the answer will be no

The only question is how they will eliminate the redundant (in every sense of the word) billions from the gene pool... My money is on a genetically tailored virus....

HOLA4414

Ah well. Great Britain, Her Empires and Her Allies always win. Several million British casualties, but we'll retake Hong Kong. And perhaps part of Shanghai. The Foreign Office no doubt will find new and exciting ways of utilising and then getting rid of those colonies in the coming century.

Is there any need? You dont know who owns the fed do you? oh dear oh dear :)

HOLA4415

Is there any need? You dont know who owns the fed do you? oh dear oh dear :)

You never know... the Fed enterprise (another little scheme of the European banking families) may soon come to the end of its useful life. It's nearly 100 year old... perhaps its centenary will prove to be a rather eventful anniversary..

Edited by Chuffy Chuffnell

HOLA4416

Give it another 30 years and the elite wont need the working classes for anything - not even slave labour...

At that point the only question on thier minds will be - do we really want all these poor people polluting thier new eden?

I'm guessing the answer will be no

The only question is how they will eliminate the redundant (in every sense of the word) billions from the gene pool... My money is on a genetically tailored virus....

And this is when we, the working class will break into their homes to take them out. If our lives are that cheap, then there is no amount of security that will protect them. It will never happen, there is always something they will want from the human commodity.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Surely war has been automated just like everything else? Large-scale infantry wars are obsolete - the (western) masses can't, and/or won't fight and governments most likely can't afford to train, arm and pay them. Far cheaper and easier to send in the drones/nukes do the work. I'm not even sure why they have manned fighter aircraft any more, to be honest.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I have been trying to find that video of the impressive robot arms that was manipulating chocolate bars really quickly, on a conveyor belt. It was posted on HPC some time ago.

I dug a bit deeper and found out the company that designs and tests them. I remember they are listed on the NASDAQ, and as it was stock market chaos at the time, it was a really low valued company. Anyone remember that thread?

HOLA4421