House Price Crash Forum

Nhs Pay: Bosses Ignore Calls To Curb Pay Rises

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8503770/NHS-pay-bosses-ignore-calls-to-curb-pay-rises.html

The Coalition’s health reforms could drive up managers’ pay further by giving executives more control over salaries, according to Incomes Data Services (IDS). The research group, which tracks executive pay, said health service chiefs had routinely ignored “pay guidance”.

The Department of Health has told NHS trusts that executive salaries should rise by no more than 1.5 per cent a year, but IDS estimated that average executive pay rose by 4.5 per cent in 2009-10.

Based on salaries disclosed in annual reports, the median salary of an NHS trust chief executive in England was £158,800 last year.

Austerity isn't for the troughers.

HOLA442

No worries, there's an amply supply of front line nurses that can be culled to make more money available for the pen pushers.

It will all work out in the end. Once we replace paper money with leaves there will be plenty for everyone...

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

What worries me about those words is that the NHS bosses seem to be awarding the pay to themselves.

Where is the political control? It seems to me that in the public sector, anyone on 4 times average earnings should have their pay controlled by elected politicians, who should do their job and represent the taxpayer in pay negotiations.

All control appears to have been lost here.

HOLA446

What worries me about those words is that the NHS bosses seem to be awarding the pay to themselves.

Where is the political control? It seems to me that in the public sector, anyone on 4 times average earnings should have their pay controlled by elected politicians, who should do their job and represent the taxpayer in pay negotiations.

agree here, it's like when darling/brown were asking rbs & lloyds banksters not to award themselves too much money. The government are the majority shareholder in one and own the biggest stake in the other, they should be blumming well telling not asking.

HOLA447

In most modern democracies that I have looked at in depth, the elected politicians appear to have zero power. Power appears to lie within each bureaucracy. The ministry of health said no pay rises above 1.5%. Yet the officials still raised it more than that anyway.

The guys who make it to become leaders in modern democracies are also incredibly weak. If I gave an order and they didn't follow it I would be very angry and set an example. Instead the elected officials are off debating the next thing they will do nothing about.

HOLA448
HOLA449

well yeah...der!...Politicians are public sector workers, as are their cronies.

HOLA4410

About sums it up for the place I work in too - recently there's been a large merger. Result: More management posts! And promotion for some to Band 8C (equivalent to consultant status), lovely pay rise for some ... f*ck all for the rest of us

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

We all know the basic rule and need to stop being supprised:

Turkeys don't vote for christmas.

Quite.

Who was in charge in organising the re-structuring - well guess who? The very managers who have got nice secure safe jobs with pay rises? ... in the meantime we have staff leaving, staff on mat leave (no mat leave cover), increased workload, being asked to take on 25% more work (there's not 25% spare capacity) ... somethings got to give

HOLA4413

There is usually an "impartial" (haha) remuneration committee, who will say, yes your job is the same as a FTSE 100 CEO, so descends into a mutual backslapping exercise. Its a bit like corporate governance, The banks had the latter in droves but still managed to go bust. Just gives an aura of respectability but little else.

Only confirms to me that the UK only change its ways once the bond markets revolt and turn on sterling, but no signs of that happening. In the meantime its make hay while the sun shines (for some).

HOLA4414

We all know the basic rule and need to stop being supprised:

Turkeys don't vote for christmas.

I don't mind turkeys not voting for Christmas.. I do mind when they make statements to their buddies in the media two weeks later that they have been forced to cut front line services and it's all the government's fault for not giving them more money.

Senior government officials should, IMHO, be asking some very searching questions of any senior civil servants awarding themselves pay rises while simultaneously making staff redundant.

Selfish entitlement is very "last decade"..