House Price Crash Forum

Number Of Women Claiming Jobseeker's Allowance Reaches 15 Yr High

HOLA441

. But it's swung the other way now. Seems men don't get a look in, sometimes. Schools, for example, are awash with women, especially primary schools where it is common for nary a single male to be seen, and unusual if there is more than one, out of a staff of ten or fifteen or twenty or more. If that was reversed, think of the howls of "discrimination". The feminisation of our schools has wrought havoc.

Women seem to loom large in the media as well - pretty, lightweight, twenty something clones who are so uncontroversial as to be bland, presenting weather or news and the rest of it, seem to far outnumber male counterparts. No doubt plenty of other examples.

Working in an engineering field, I see all the scholarships, prizes, bursaries which are set up to encourage women, being a minority in the profession, to get into and stay in engineering. If they are marginally above average, they are completely fauned over.

Knowing there are professions, such as primary school teacher, nurse, psychologist, etc. which are female dominated, I was curious to see the scholarships available to men to join these professions.

So I typed into Google

"scholarships for men in"

Google's predictive searches were quite surprising. Could someone else check this before I post what I saw.

HOLA442

A lot of these jobs are part time and attract more female applicants.

Having said that, I have had a feeling for a long time that there is discrimination against men in various fields, including retail for instance.

The front desk at our local council office is entirely women. I cannot believe there wasn't a man looking for even one of these jobs.

I have quite a few pals who would love a part-time admin job. I think the councils could end up getting hoisted from their own anti-discrimination petard...

HOLA443

Google's predictive searches were quite surprising. Could someone else check this before I post what I saw.

Yes, the predictive text comes back with 3 lots of "scholarships for women in ..." for me!

Tells you all you need to know. Positive discrimination ending up with the result many people feared... the majority end up being discriminated against and forced into a workless minority... :o

HOLA444

Working in an engineering field, I see all the scholarships, prizes, bursaries which are set up to encourage women, being a minority in the profession, to get into and stay in engineering. If they are marginally above average, they are completely fauned over.

Knowing there are professions, such as primary school teacher, nurse, psychologist, etc. which are female dominated, I was curious to see the scholarships available to men to join these professions.

So I typed into Google

What did you find on google? I can't see anything ridiculous?

I agree by the way... females in engineering do get a lot of attention even if they are average.

HOLA445
HOLA446

What did you find on google? I can't see anything ridiculous?

I agree by the way... females in engineering do get a lot of attention even if they are average.

I typed in

And google predicted

"scholarships for women in science

scholarships for women in uk

scholarships for women in business

scholarships for women in engineering

scholarships for women in developing countries"

Although with Google saving so much information about you, I am now wondering what my wife has been searching for if only my computer shows this

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

"Scholarships for men"

There are some results for "scholarships for men in nursing" . Alas, once I type the word 'in' into the search field I get the same results as Imp.

I'm currently doing a job that is female dominated. I'm a supermarket checkout operator. I quite enjoy it. Could only get part time hours but I am trying to get a full time contract.

HOLA4410

Christ. Imagine the legions of entitled, brittle, incompetent clipboard wielding bints about to be let loose on the jobs 'market'.

Maybe they can all become each other's life coaches.

Or maybe, just maybe, the market is going to quietly but firmly inform them of their actual worth.

Tahoma, why the generalised unfounded abuse? There are entitled, brittle, incompetent men too. Some of them have drink problems and pot bellies.

As a man, try asking for flexible working and see what happens.

Goodbye career.

They're not the only ones. When women return from career breaks to reduced hours they are frequently given lower status and less challenging roles than they had before. They have less time to undertake training and their employers are reluctant to promote them.

Schools, for example, are awash with women, especially primary schools where it is common for nary a single male to be seen, and unusual if there is more than one, out of a staff of ten or fifteen or twenty or more. If that was reversed, think of the howls of "discrimination". The feminisation of our schools has wrought havoc.

Women seem to loom large in the media as well - pretty, lightweight, twenty something clones who are so uncontroversial as to be bland, presenting weather or news and the rest of it, seem to far outnumber male counterparts. No doubt plenty of other examples.

How many men want to be primary school teachers? Probably very few. If they really have an affinity for child care and can cope with low pay, status, prospects, pension and long hours then I'm sure they'll be welcomed with open arms.

The truth is that men have more opportunities in a vast number of careers to get well paid jobs. They aren't interested in working with children. Women, on the other hand, are forced to take the job opportunities they're permitted.

You seem to have answered your own question about broadcast media. The increasing sexualisation of women has placed value on their looks rather than their abilities. This is why the older men can interview politicians and older women end up suing their employer e.g. Miriam O'Reilly vs. BBC.

I haven't noticed this in the corporate professions in which I've worked. Instead women are sidelined to the "mommy track" early on in expectation that they might take maternity leave. Training, development and access to important work are reduced accordingly. Below average males are therefore quickly promoted over above average and better qualified females.

HOLA4411

I haven't noticed this in the corporate professions in which I've worked. Instead women are sidelined to the "mommy track" early on in expectation that they might take maternity leave. Training, development and access to important work are reduced accordingly. Below average males are therefore quickly promoted over above average and better qualified females.

Which would change if those females tried making friends/ developing a good relationship with their boss and I don't mean sex. As for your BBC comment, perhaps the reason men are the ones interviewing the politicians is because they are more intelligent than the women working in the BBC. Even though to be fair they are all pretty unintelligent, either that or the BBC directors are deliberately not challenging government- probably more the case.

Paxman was a loose cannon but BBC tamed him years ago to follow the party line and not create too much debate.

MattW do you have a degree? It seems even with a degree people can just get supermarket jobs these days. I've done the checkout before and it's a living hell, I much prefer the relaxed pace and peace of stacking shelves to being on checkouts.

It should be against human rights to force people to work on a checkout, just automate the damn things. But then I guess some people enjoy the mundane repetition of the job.

HOLA4412

MattW do you have a degree? It seems even with a degree people can just get supermarket jobs these days. I've done the checkout before and it's a living hell, I much prefer the relaxed pace and peace of stacking shelves to being on checkouts.

Yes I have a degree. Ideally it would have lead to a job in a Personnel or Human Resources role (female dominated again, albeit to lesser extent than checkouts!). I found office work to be very dull indeed and prefer something a bit physical to stop me falling asleep. Have done van driving in the past too so I'm not adverse to doing more mundane jobs.

Occasionally I will assist in the shelf stacking if the checkouts are quiet or straightening up the stock on the shelves. I don't think that the regular shelf stackers have it that easy where I work as they are costantly under the cosh with the constant stream of deliveries. Quite happy being on checkouts at least for the time being.

HOLA4413

How many men want to be primary school teachers? Probably very few. If they really have an affinity for child care and can cope with low pay, status, prospects, pension and long hours then I'm sure they'll be welcomed with open arms.

The truth is that men have more opportunities in a vast number of careers to get well paid jobs. They aren't interested in working with children. Women, on the other hand, are forced to take the job opportunities they're permitted.

http://ww2.prospects.ac.uk/p/types_of_job/primary_school_teacher_salary.jsp

Primary school teacher salaries start at £21k and increase to £31k based on length of service. If you are any good, you can get up to £35k$ and for a head teacher, £55k. The pension is anout 2/3 index linked average salary.

http://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/members/members1.htm

So we have covered the good pay, prospects (i.e. headship), pension. I think the status is down to the individual - teachers are generally still thought of as professionals. The long hours are down to how effectively the teachers work. I have known teachers who get to school at 8am, leave at 6pm every day and don't take any work home with them, and they were excellent teachers!

The same job opportunitites are open to women as for men. Women just have to take the opportunities!

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Any evidence for that please?

My children's private school has 5 male teachers at primary and it's fantastic, one little cow was terrorising my daughter and this male teacher told her off, she was reduced to an apologetic sobbing heap by him, he hadn't even raised his voice and it you ask me it was a wonderful result that the female teachers didn't quite pull off in years gone by.

It's the boys that benefit from them the most though, like having your dad watching you 6 hours a day, essential in some cases.