House Price Crash Forum

Pfizer To Close Sandwich Site

hkm

HOLA441

The problem is, right now the stem cell orchard is still out of reach. Words like "hope", "could" and "may" abound.

Even if they discovered a stem-cell based cure for cancer tomorrow, it would take them 8-10 years to get it to market.

As more and more drugs go off patent and the generic manufacturers take the sales, the money for new research lessens.

I probably shouldn't say it on here, but in an ideal world, pharma research and production is probably better nationalised / funded via the UN.

Yes discoveries being made in stem cells now probably won't see the market for 15 years. So it gets more and more unlikely they will make the switch as their drugs go off patent. Although the equity markets would glady fund very, very large amounts of capital even for things that will take a long time to get to market. Especially in health care which is probably the largest industry in the world now. And definately will be in 10 years time.

I am a big supporter of very large government funding of research into research. It seems to have a payoff, way beyond say the percent governments borrow at. However if there are only a few obscure oranges left in the orchard, no matter how much money is spent on researching pharma-chem, not much progress will be made. I think it would be smarter for the government to fund the nano-medicine, stem cells and genetic engineering. Then hen those get more mature private industry can take over and get them to market.

Another point is no one can criticize the pharma companies for spending too little on research. Like this site 2,400 people working looking for new drugs. And that is just one of pfizer's sites.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

So 24 months has now gone to 3+ years ?

FFS the point is these jobs are going and not coming back . Forget those in the jobs now for a minute over the last 57 years people have worked there retired and more people have then replaced them . This will now stop .

In SOME other countries in the world they would give their right arm for that sort of job security. Yes countries that have crap economys , poor wages and where the people live hand to mouth . Is that what you would like to see our economy become . For a country to have a strong and growing economy people need secure income to spend and make that economy grow , without it it shrinks . Even those who do not lose their jobs are less likley to spend their money as they feel a sense of unease around them .

If you think about it it is quite simple really PEOPLE NEED JOBS and MONEY to build an economy.

Read what I said !! I was talking about redundancy taking 2 years to take place and them being given a payment that would support them for a further year - hence equalling 3 years. If you read what I said I wouldn't have to explain again....

So that is it ? These jobs are gone forever ? I think you are perhaps going a bit far with that. Sure we are in for a shitty number of years. However I don't think it is quite the end of the World.

So why don't you just accept this because it is happening and there is not much either of us can do about it. Labour have put us in this position over the past 13 years - and we are gonna pay for it for the next who knows how many years.

Nothing we can do but get on with it.

@ccc

A very significant proportion are immediately in 90 day consultation period and will be off site in 4 months max, so I would contest that loads have 3 years+ to mull it over.

There are probably 500 or so who are in limbo until April at least before they know anything certain.

Obviously the people with large mortgages are very worried, and being very open about it.

I'm all for HPC but a shame it takes huge unemployment to get house prices back to 'normal'!

Cheers for that info. So I assume it will be a gradual process ? Some gone in 4 months. Another whack in another 4 months etc.... until it winds down in 2-3 years time ?

In the places I have worked those who take redundancy earliest quite often get the best terms. Many places have been known to change back from favourable redundancy terms to the basic legal requirements half way through the process.

Aye shame about thus sort of unemplyment - but then again this stuff happens. Britain is going through a shitty period. This is gonna happen !! Who knows for how long though. And as for house prices well at least there is a silver lining for some others in the area.

I am sure this place has driven prices higher over the years. Now when they leave the opposite will happen. This is how it is supposed to happen.

HOLA443

Read what I said !! I was talking about redundancy taking 2 years to take place and them being given a payment that would support them for a further year - hence equalling 3 years. If you read what I said I wouldn't have to explain again....

So that is it ? These jobs are gone forever ? I think you are perhaps going a bit far with that. Sure we are in for a shitty number of years. However I don't think it is quite the end of the World.

So why don't you just accept this because it is happening and there is not much either of us can do about it. Labour have put us in this position over the past 13 years - and we are gonna pay for it for the next who knows how many years.

Nothing we can do but get on with it.

Read what you said yourself as it makes no sense. Let me explain !!

You said they could move to get work, they were getting two years notice and a pay off .

Well if they have to pay to move and live during that time the pay off is not going to last a year is it and not all will be getting two years notice the site shuts in two years not everyone will be there untill the end . So your 3+ years is wrong !! Are you able to undrestand that ? it is quite simple really if you think about it .

Let me explain it again just as so as it sinks in

(1) . Site shuts in two years but not everyone there untill the end .

(2) Redundancy payment if used to move will not be able to be spent again on living costs . You can only spend money once not twice .UNDERSTOOD ?

Who said it is the end of the world ? but the jobs at Sandwich are lost for ever . This is the bit I think you have trouble with as has been said to you before on this site you have never seen a recession . Jobs that are lost do not come back. In the past new ones have taken their place, due to the world economy new ones are not taking their place in this country .

Judging by the state of the world economy and the greed of the top brass if you think this is all going to blow over in a few years and there will be plenty of jobs you really are talking NONSENSE but then reading your post you used the word a NUMBER of years , why did you use a NUMBER of years ? is it because really deep down looking at what is happening around you , what you are now seeing , hearing ,experiencing you are waking up to the fact that this is getting serious .

Maybe your **** sure attitude that there will be work for those who want it and the smart talk about how you have always found work because you tried harder than everyone else is wearing a bit thin even with you . Are you starting to dought yourself and wondering what the future holds for you ? Answer uncertainty like it does for everyone else.

Labour have not put us in this position for the last 13 years we have been put in this position due to greed at the top for the last 30+ years Labour just added to it.

However I can understand due to you never having seen the last two recessions that you think it is all down to Labour .

Edited by miko

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

thank goodness, south East Kent is saved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-12379549

All these research scientists with Phds might be lucky enough to get a job wiping butts or answering phones. Economy saved and hpc here averted!

lol

just do a search for the bottom end of the housing market in Kent - in the under £250k range (anything below £150k is almost already a retirement home, so therefore doesnt count!) and you'll find mostly houses that old people are trying to offload - the decor and furniture will be from the 70s-90s.

Most of these are forced sellers - house too big for one old person, house been inherited because parents passed away, need to sell for money for retirement home etc.

Lots and lots of well off old people in Kent!

HOLA4414

I was talking to my cousin at the weekend. Several years ago he held a research post at Pfizer.

The closure, whilst bad for East Kent is not so bad overall as much of the work is being subcontracted out to the Universities so there should be work for at least part of the workforce if they are willing to travel.

The irony is its a large number of jobs off the private sector payroll and onto the public payroll.

HOLA4415

lol

just do a search for the bottom end of the housing market in Kent - in the under £250k range (anything below £150k is almost already a retirement home, so therefore doesnt count!) and you'll find mostly houses that old people are trying to offload - the decor and furniture will be from the 70s-90s.

Most of these are forced sellers - house too big for one old person, house been inherited because parents passed away, need to sell for money for retirement home etc.

Lots and lots of well off old people in Kent!

In the local rag this morning there was a line from Saga HR saying that they have contact Pfizer to let them know they have have vacancies in their call centre (did go on to say general management and HR), would have been a great quote but I couldn't find it on line