House Price Crash Forum

Mocked Meteorologist Gets Last Laugh On 'global Warming'

Scott Sando

HOLA441
HOLA442

Heh, the poor guy didn't even know his own Twitter account.

I don't claim to be qualified to state whether he's likely to be right or wrong. But I imagine he's got some good money-making opportunities in the States if he correctly predicts more weather events.

HOLA443

Was jus checking weather on BBC and clicked on their climate change link. Have a look at the bottom of the page and the lists of stories. I thought BBC were supposed to, sorry legally obliged, to be impartial. Must be at least 50 separate stories there. And at a glance it doesnt appear even one has anything remotely like an alternative opinion on this subject.

Brain washing. Pure and simple and not even subtle.

BBC Climate Change

HOLA444

Was jus checking weather on BBC and clicked on their climate change link. Have a look at the bottom of the page and the lists of stories. I thought BBC were supposed to, sorry legally obliged, to be impartial. Must be at least 50 separate stories there. And at a glance it doesnt appear even one has anything remotely like an alternative opinion on this subject.

Brain washing. Pure and simple and not even subtle.

BBC Climate Change

+1000

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

There was some chap talking to Rhod Sharp on Fivelive earlier in the week - apparently he is the boy who said last Summer would not be a barbecue Summer, as the Met Office had forecast, and he had forecast the snow of the past fortnight. He looks at Solar Activity apparently and then links it back to weather in the past with similar Sun flares, etc.

Anyhow... he rubbished global warming and that Uni in Norwich or East Anglia or wherever it is... and pointed out that in the past few years hundreds of weather stations had been closed across the UK and that the ones closed had all been the ones which recorded the coldest average temps thereby brining up the average temps in the rest of the stations.

He sounded brilliant.

HOLA448

There was some chap talking to Rhod Sharp on Fivelive earlier in the week - apparently he is the boy who said last Summer would not be a barbecue Summer, as the Met Office had forecast, and he had forecast the snow of the past fortnight. He looks at Solar Activity apparently and then links it back to weather in the past with similar Sun flares, etc.

Anyhow... he rubbished global warming and that Uni in Norwich or East Anglia or wherever it is... and pointed out that in the past few years hundreds of weather stations had been closed across the UK and that the ones closed had all been the ones which recorded the coldest average temps thereby brining up the average temps in the rest of the stations.

He sounded brilliant.

That sounds like the same guy in the video.

HOLA449

To: BBC

Re: Editorial bias

Dear VI loons,

Appalled by your multiple stories concerning the world being round. The total absence of a counterpoint betrays your total bias.

Signed,

CCC, Scott Sando

Shock......... Global warmist makes smug witty (un) comment in defence of AGW. In the total absence of the ability to participate in reasoned debate.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Meanwhile the "journalists" are still at it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/dec/26/robin-mckie-carbon-emissions-up#start-of-comments

After a wasted year, climate change must once again be our priority

There is no doubt that greenhouse gas emissions are rising remorselessly. We must sideline the sceptics

On an observatory 11,000 feet high on Mauna Loa, a volcano in Hawaii, a pair of ageing, automated detectors have been churning out details about the make-up of our atmosphere for several decades. This month, they produced their most alarming result to date. They showed that carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere have touched 390 parts per million – a 40% increase on pre-industrial levels.

The timing was striking. Just as negotiators were reaching their compromise deal on global warming in Cancún two weeks ago, the Mauna Loa machines showed the problem of greenhouse gas emissions – left largely unresolved in Mexico – have reached an unprecedented level. Humans have procrastinated while the composition of the air around us has changed remorselessly.

HOLA4414

"December to February, inclusive will be exceptionally cold, like hell freezing over at times."

We're not even finished with December, how can he claim victory 1/3 of the way through?

BTW December wasn't even exceptionally cold, it just snowed a bit.

HOLA4415

"December to February, inclusive will be exceptionally cold, like hell freezing over at times."

We're not even finished with December, how can he claim victory 1/3 of the way through?

It reached minus double figures on several occaisions and in many locations.

"exceptionally cold" as in exception to the norm.

Can't see a problem with the statement myself. We'll see how accurate he was on the 1st March!!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Are you f*cking kidding me?

It was minus double figures in West London. Unheard of

It was minus 15 just up the road in the Chilterns

Now that is cold

A few nights of -5 to -10 isn't that unusual. I remember the cold of 1982, where it was -25 in the Midlands.

Colder than normal, yes, but exceptional, not so sure about that.

I'm certainly not mocking the guy, but I don't think we're there yet.

EDIT: OK Scrub that. If there data says average -0.8 then, yea I suppose that's cold. Maybe I have a well insulated house :)

HOLA4419

A few nights of -5 to -10 isn't that unusual. I remember the cold of 1982, where it was -25 in the Midlands.

Colder than normal, yes, but exceptional, not so sure about that.

I'm certainly not mocking the guy, but I don't think we're there yet.

Coldest Scottish December on record. I put a link to the story on here recently. Think UK is looking like the coldest for at least a couple of decades too.

It has been exceptionaly cold. You have to remember this is only December. Coldest months in the UK are usually January and February.

Anyway I do agree about the rest of the prediction though. Have to wait till March for that.

HOLA4420

Found this lovely page of historical data:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/

Choose a year and month and away you go.

Also found this. Which suggest that we've had more than a decade with unusually high temperatures. This winter's unusually low temperatures (green) are not that unusual in the big scheme of things.

HadCET_graph_ylybars_uptodate.gif

full page here...

I suppose we could all download the data and do F-tests, T-tests etc to see if the data actually is significant.

Me personally, I'd rather not, since I vowed never to do this sort of stuff ever again the moment I finished my finals

HOLA4421

Found this lovely page of historical data:

http://www.metoffice....uk/climate/uk/

Choose a year and month and away you go.

Also found this. Which suggest that we've had more than a decade with unusually high temperatures. This winter's unusually low temperatures (green) are not that unusual in the big scheme of things.

HadCET_graph_ylybars_uptodate.gif

full page here...

I suppose we could all download the data and do F-tests, T-tests etc to see if the data actually is significant.

Me personally, I'd rather not, since I vowed never to do this sort of stuff ever again the moment I finished my finals

Eh..... the Met Office themselves are even admitting this winters temperatures are exceptionally low...:rolleyes:

And they don't exactly enjoy shouting from the rooftops about cold weather do they...

HOLA4422

Probably going to be the second coldest December since records began using the CET measure.

HOLA4423

Even some of the faithful on WUWT are sceptical about his claims.

janama says:

December 27, 2010 at 6:29 pm

In the same forecast Piers also had this to say:

For South/East Queensland eg Brisbane region of Australia 25-31 Dec we prediced (11-12-10) HEATWAVE maybe peaking at 36C to 38C around 28th but date unclear.

unfortunately he is totally wrong!!

Brisbane has experienced cold weather with record heavy rain and floods and 21 – 24C temperatures.

So he was right regarding extreme weather but the wrong kind.

Anton says:

December 27, 2010 at 7:04 pm

He’s been amazingly wrong with regard to weather in the USA. He predicts tornadoes in the Midwest or South during tornado season, and rain in the Midwest or South during rain season, and if any rain or tornado shows up in the Midwest or South, he claims success. He treats the entire USA as if it were a tiny island, not a vast land mass that has all kinds of weather going on year round. He rarely pinpoints where his predicted disaster storms are going to strike in the USA, rather he gives himself tens of thousands of square miles to work with. His Florida/Southeast hurricane predictions this year were a spectacular flop, but he still claims success.

He reminds me a lot of the AGW soothsayers who make such broad and varied predictions that no matter what happens they claim they predicted it. The fact that he isn’t one of their camp doesn’t mean he isn’t blowing the same hot air.

You hear all about it when he gets things right, but there's an eerie silence when he gets it wrong.

HOLA4424

Archived