Snow Chains

Frank Hovis

HOLA441
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Yep agreed 3 years sounds a bit little.

Driving wheels sort of makes sense as my socks just go on them too and it works fine. Only issue would be emergency brake - back end would just spin off of its own accord !!

I done several emergency stops, in a straight line, to test it and had no problems. The only time I seem to lose the back end is when accelerating into corners faster than I need or should be. I'll try some more tests when I get a chance :)

Becuase the tyres are inpregnated with a silica compound to keep them flexible in the extreme cold their length of life is reduce compared to normal tyres. I'm just relaying info I've got back from friends in Belgium, Germany & Czech Republic based on actual experience regardless of whether they kept on steel rims or taken off in the summer.

One other thing to note, even though you are increasing your safety by fitting winter tyres, your premiums could go up as its classed as a modification.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/tax-insurance-and-warranties/2010-12/winter-tyres

Its just another excuse by the insurance companies (part of the financial sector) to make more money.

That does make sense. I'll let you know how they are doing in December 2013!

HOLA443

Becuase the tyres are inpregnated with a silica compound to keep them flexible in the extreme cold their length of life is reduce compared to normal tyres. I'm just relaying info I've got back from friends in Belgium, Germany & Czech Republic based on actual experience regardless of whether they kept on steel rims or taken off in the summer.

One other thing to note, even though you are increasing your safety by fitting winter tyres, your premiums could go up as its classed as a modification.

http://www.honestjoh...12/winter-tyres

Its just another excuse by the insurance companies (part of the financial sector) to make more money.

Now I understand. So only 3 winters for a set. However you will also save on less wear and tear on your normal tires. Seems a decent trade off to me. And of course you can drive places most other people will not be able to in heavy snow.

As for the insurance I have also read a bit about that. A few I hav read just called up to explain and it was fine.

Pent up - please get someone to film your planned experiments. :D

HOLA444

Now I understand. So only 3 winters for a set. However you will also save on less wear and tear on your normal tires. Seems a decent trade off to me. And of course you can drive places most other people will not be able to in heavy snow.

As for the insurance I have also read a bit about that. A few I hav read just called up to explain and it was fine.

Pent up - please get someone to film your planned experiments. :D

For you've been framed? :D

HOLA445

Tried a Mountain bike with proper tyres and even on ice where I would fall over instantly as a pedestrian

it has no problems whatsoever. Really it was astonishing the level of grip on ice the capabiilty in deep

snow was like riding on a dry tarmac road and even compacted refrozen slush on pavements wasn't a problem.

The best part is getting past queues of traffic and into town but it makes my autosocks a bit pointless :)

HOLA446

Just a quick tip, if you have a RWD car with a handbrake that works on the rear axle, you can lock your differential by pulling progressively on the handbrake. When the braking resistance exceeds the resistance of the driven wheel with the least grip, the axle will lock up and both wheels will provide traction, rather than just the one with the least grip.

HOLA447

Just a quick tip, if you have a RWD car with a handbrake that works on the rear axle, you can lock your differential by pulling progressively on the handbrake. When the braking resistance exceeds the resistance of the driven wheel with the least grip, the axle will lock up and both wheels will provide traction, rather than just the one with the least grip.

Good tip, I was thinking along the same lines the other day but I've got a punto so it doesn't help me.

HOLA448

You mean like this?

img_sf1.jpg

img_sf3.jpg

I did the same sort of training courtesy of a young driving scheme run by Herts Police & Herts County Council when I was a boy. Great fun and worth doing as it shows and teachs you lots of things.

Yes I had a driving day including a skid pan session using that contraption. It was great fun. I remember before we started the instructor asked our group what we should do if we got into a front wheel skid or a rear wheel skid. So the usual responses were steer into it steer out of it., or whatever. The instructor dismissed all our comments, he told us when you get into a skid you won't have time to think, oh it's a front wheel skid so I'll steer into it , or the back ends gone so I'll give it some opposite lock, or whatever. We were told drop the clutch to cut the power, look where you want to go and relax. So strange it just worked, you always ended up where you looked.

HOLA449

Yes I had a driving day including a skid pan session using that contraption. It was great fun. I remember before we started the instructor asked our group what we should do if we got into a front wheel skid or a rear wheel skid. So the usual responses were steer into it steer out of it., or whatever. The instructor dismissed all our comments, he told us when you get into a skid you won't have time to think, oh it's a front wheel skid so I'll steer into it , or the back ends gone so I'll give it some opposite lock, or whatever. We were told drop the clutch to cut the power, look where you want to go and relax. So strange it just worked, you always ended up where you looked.

Just like riding a motorbike, if you look at where you don't want to go or look at what you don't want to hit you will hit it.

HOLA4410

Tried a Mountain bike with proper tyres and even on ice where I would fall over instantly as a pedestrian

it has no problems whatsoever. Really it was astonishing the level of grip on ice the capabiilty in deep

snow was like riding on a dry tarmac road and even compacted refrozen slush on pavements wasn't a problem.

The best part is getting past queues of traffic and into town but it makes my autosocks a bit pointless :)

What sort of tyres do you have ? I tried out on mine but it wasn't great. Fell off a few times so gave up. I do have tyres that are pretty good on the tarmac though so you maybe have chunky ones ?

I have these.

0018-0200_2_l.jpg

HOLA4411

You mean like this?

img_sf1.jpg

img_sf3.jpg

I did the same sort of training courtesy of a young driving scheme run by Herts Police & Herts County Council when I was a boy. Great fun and worth doing as it shows and teachs you lots of things.

Yup that's the kind of thing.

HOLA4412

Yup that's the kind of thing.

This is an HPC heads-up!

If you are going to buy any car snow aids/sledges for kids/snow shovels/related items - get them now before the UK sells out/extortion prices!

Get a supply of anti-freeze/screen antifreeze in too and check your car antifreeze levels - should be 50-50!

HOLA4413

Interesting, would the same thing not apply to a front wheel drive car by applying the brake pedal? I think that is how some traction control systems work.

You might have to be the "heal and toe" grandmaster.

Or maybe not, if the clutch was fully up and one wheel was just spinning.

Or if it was an automatic.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Archived