House Price Crash Forum

L3

JohnnyLaw

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
This one's heading for negative equity surely........

Classic high pressure sales tactics. The girl has been looking for six months, now she is given 1 hour to put in an offer. There should be a date on the screen to stop people from thinking they are talking about today’s market it is irresponsible at best.

If Kirstie says in this market you have got to move quick I will turn it over, in fact I will anyway, the information in this programme is totally irrelevant.

No mention on the price, I wonder why :lol::lol::lol:

HOLA444
HOLA445
This one's heading for negative equity surely........

Geez, I can't believe this show. A FIRST TIME BUYER has saved for 8 YEARS to buy a nasty 70s house in Kent for 190K!!! She has saved her deposit whilst watching prices shoot up, unfortunately, and has been suckered into the idea that prices will keep going up.

Phil is beaming about it holding its value which it clearly won't/hasn't.

The more I see Kirsty & Phil ramping the market up, the more convinced I am that they should be sued for mis-information! Vile, vile people... :angry:

HOLA446
HOLA447
I missed the start of this...

What was her deposit and salary to be able to afford 180k?  How old was she?!

It wasn't too old as they went to the house after sh bought it in July/August didn't they?

She had saved 25k and her parents were adding 25k, she was getting a mortgage for £120k. As a graduate with a large pharmaceutical company she is probably on around 25k so the mortgage will be 4.5 x salary around £700 per month. Half is being paid by renting a room out otherwise she would be stuffed.

HOLA448
If you listen carefully you'd have heard (tho not in the same sentance)

She had worked hard to keep its value and had spent £3000

sounds like negative equity spin to me

yup. 3 grand on some IKEA furniture and a lick of paint is really going to stop that toilet of a house sliding into neg equity...

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Phil did say that the market has slowed totally in the area.

Mentioned that she wanted to do some work to the property, so that it would hold it's value.

i.e. the place is already worth less than she paid for it.

Kirtie and Phil are in the process of making some serious enemies.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Geez, I can't believe this show. A FIRST TIME BUYER has saved for 8 YEARS to buy a nasty 70s house in Kent for 190K!!! She has saved her deposit whilst watching prices shoot up, unfortunately, and has been suckered into the idea that prices will keep going up.

Phil is beaming about it holding its value which it clearly won't/hasn't.

The more I see Kirsty & Phil ramping the market up, the more convinced I am that they should be sued for mis-information! Vile, vile people... :angry:

Didn't someone mention a journalist had contacted this forum?

Would this be a good story for them? B)

HOLA4414

Just a quick reality check - the odious pair didn't find her that nasty 70s house, she did that all by herself with no help whatsoever from them. If they'd had their way she'd have bought that very nice Grade II listed in the centre of Canterbury which would have been far more crash-proof than the one she did buy.

For once they really couldn't be blamed for the buyer's stupidity.

HOLA4415
Just a quick reality check - the odious pair didn't find her that nasty 70s house, she did that all by herself with no help whatsoever from them.  If they'd had their way she'd have bought that very nice Grade II listed in the centre of Canterbury which would have been far more crash-proof than the one she did buy.

For once they really couldn't be blamed for the buyer's stupidity.

Good point, I'd forgotten that.

HOLA4416
I think Canterbury was still rising this past year.....

Living in Canterbury, and hoping to buy here one day, I would say the market is in stagnation at best. Average house price in CT1 and CT2 in 2004 was a tick under £200k (Land Registry). Last time I did the figures for 2005 the average was just under £190k. I need to update the 2005 figure but to be honest over the past couple of months I've tried to forget about the whole housing market, get on with my life and revisit the situation next year.

I work at the same place as the girl featured on the program and watched the original showing with interest as I was in a buying mood at the time but I only managed about 5 minutes last night. I shouldn't be surprised I know but the number of times they repeated the "Canterbury is a hot market" claptrap without any provisos re the *current* situation really cheesed me off. I read from other comments that Phil did eventually mention that currently the market is going nowhere but I just didn't have the patience to wait for that bit!

Good point made about the place she eventually bought. You do pay a premium for buying in Canterbury (essentially because it's the most attractive urbanised area in the whole of East Kent) so accepting this you had better buy somewhere that lives up slightly to the snobby pretentions of those looking to buy here. I freely admit to being one of those snobs, by the way ... I love my flat with cathedral view :)

HOLA4417

Was a very quick reference to the house 'holding its value' - I would like to see that put to the test! Still, makes a change from - 'well done, you have made a profit of £10k in one year - ignoring fees of course'

Apperantly the lodger pays half the mortgage? Sounds like spin for BOYFRIEND to me!