House Price Crash Forum

Tonight With Trev

crashlanded

HOLA441

Although I'm quite happy to see this type of programme and the general way sentiment is changing in the property market.

I really hope this forum doesn't just turn into somewhere to gloat and backslap each other, with stories of people making money, out of other families misery as they are being made homeless / bankrupt

That would make us as bad, if not worse than BTL'ers

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Although I'm quite happy to see this type of programme and the general way sentiment is changing in the property market.

I really hope this forum doesn't just turn into somewhere to gloat and backslap each other, with stories of people making money, out of other families misery as they are being made homeless / bankrupt

I have to agree, but my only motive is to find an affordable home. Not looking to profit in any other way.

IMO there are better (easier) ways to make money.

NDL

EDIT: spelling, think I found all the typos

Edited by New Darker Law

HOLA443
It may well be the biggest recession in history – but I bet 80% of the population won’t realize that there is a recession or they will believe the constant spin that they have reached the bottom and things will get better – buy now while you can things are just about to turn a corner etc  -- cr*p spin

I pretty new to economic stuff but I enjoyed the following truism:

Bull markets climb a wall of worry. Bear markets fall down the slope of hope.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Totally agreed. Trev said it all in the first 60 seconds!!! In fact, I couldn't believe what he managed to squeeze in there - he's more of a bear than most on this site!

I don't see why this site should turn as you suggest. With respect to your point about people making money, yes I think those dastardly lenders should be regulated more rigourously - they get to take the house at the end of the day, and they damn well know it. Secured Loans.

Oh, hang on... You're talking about us making money??? Eh? I don't understand.

"Making money" = "profit". In order to have profit, you must first sell something - goods or services, I do believe.

I haven't sold anything. How can I make money?

Oh, I suppose if the market for grommets tanks next week putting people out of work, you're going to accuse me of making money because I have Sterling, which is now buys more grommets?

HOLA446
I'm interested Chuz, you're obviously an intelligent young man (god now I feel really old!), why are you not retraining for a better job/prospects?

Because out of all the things that i do , first and foremost i am an underachiever, this way its a saftey net for failure. If i stay within my safe bounds then nothing bad can happen to me mentally, ive got a slight superiority neurosis which i would like to keep and to maintain that i need to surround myself with people who i know are not are smart as me.

Its ok though, i am below radar at the moment, im collecting diplomas as if they are word of the day toilet paper, ive got a few investments ticking along so i take solice that my situation isn't forever.

Im like a coiled spring just watching and waiting (complaining as i retract more) im really just trying to make everything happen with a synergy that makes it more than its individual constituants, all the pieces of the puzzle need to be carefully placed.

OR

I'm a lazy sh*te, and the money is at the moment is pretty good.. areospace junk

EDITED:

English diploma next ya think ?

Edited by theChuz

HOLA447
HOLA448
Because out of all the things that i do , first and foremost i am an underachiever, this way its a  saftey net for failure. If i stay within my safe bounds then nothing bad can happen to me mentally, ive got a slight superiority neurosis which i would like to keep and to maintain that i need to surround myself with people who i know are not are smart as me.

Its ok though, i am below radar at the moment, im collecting diplomas as if they are word of the day toilet paper, ive got a few investments ticking along so i take solice that my situation isn't forever.

Im like a coiled spring just watching and waiting (complaining as i retract more) im really just trying to make everything happen with a synergy that makes it more than its individual constituants, all the pieces of the puzzle need to be carefully place.

OR

I'm a lazy sh*te, and the money is at the moment is pretty good.. areospace junk

LOL ok, guess that answers that question then. Well good luck to you (hope you don't mind me calling you a bit demonic ;) ) Plus you are still young, and have plenty of time to get a "career" as and when you want it!

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Actually i like the intellectual company here, higher intellects than mine, some real profesional people. I can play here though because after all its annoymous isnt it  :)

You say that but we all know what you look like...you were the only person on HPC to take up the challenge and post your photograph here a while ago...

Edited - sorry, I don't mean to weird you out!

Actually I have always wondered whether there is a single instance of a member of HPC meeting another member in daily life and never knowing the hidden link between the two of them.

Edited by Starcrossed

HOLA4411
LOL ok, guess that answers that question then.  Well good luck to you (hope you don't mind me calling you a bit demonic  ;) )  Plus you are still young, and have plenty of time to get a "career" as and when you want it!

Well, ive been called sadistic before but never demonic, guardian demons make alot more sense than guardian angels though :) I dont mind one bit :)

HOLA4412

Hmmmm, getting a job in a recession...

Remember it's a job market, you can probably find work...if you lower your price! That's where being sensible with your money comes in, don't pay too much for luxuries, accomodation and stay out of debt. Doing that you should (hopefully) keep your head above water. It's just a job at the end of the day.

HOLA4413
Can I just ask a genuine question about something that mystifies me?  Why are you all so gleeful at the prospect of the economy going down the pan?  Do you all think you're teflon coated and it won't affect you?  Your jobs are just as much at risk as anyone else's.

Speaking for me personally I couldn't give a rat's **** if the crashes and burns because there's nothing about the current way the economy functions that I can stomach.

I sick to death of GNP/GDP being trumpeted as 'good' when all it means is more bland retail parks, car usage, zombified consumerism, dead town centres full of JJB Sports and Poundstretcher, priced out young people, dead environment, mcjobs replacing living wages, house price insanity.

The current GDP measure if like lumping the green shoots of spring together with maligant cancer simply because they are both forms of 'growth'.

If I lost my job (many thousands below average salary) I'd be not much worse off on the dole and claiming housing benefit.

The whole putrid debt-slave, f**ck the poor, rich get richer, global capitalist playground can go as belly up as it likes.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

HOLA4414
Speaking for me personally I couldn't give a rat's **** if thhing aboue economy crashes and burns because there's nothing about the current way the economy functions that I can stomach.

I sick to death of GNP/GDP being trumpeted as 'good' when all it means are more bland retail parks, car usage, zombified consumerism, dead town centres full of JJB Sports and Poundstretcher, priced out young people, dying environmentment, mcjobs replacing living wages, house price insanity.

The current GDP measure if like lumping the green shoots of spring together with maligant cancer simply because they both form of 'growth'.

If I lost my job (many thousands belowage salary) I'd be not much worse off on the dole and claiming housing benefit.

The whole putrid debt-slave, f**ck the poor, rich get richer, global capitalist playground can go as belly up as it likes.

Well said. Let's see some real change. I'm bored of the same old crap we call modern life.

HOLA4415
Speaking for me personally I couldn't give a rat's **** if thhing aboue economy crashes and burns because there's nothing about the current way the economy functions that I can stomach.

I sick to death of GNP/GDP being trumpeted as 'good' when all it means are more bland retail parks, car usage, zombified consumerism, dead town centres full of JJB Sports and Poundstretcher, priced out young people, dying environmentment, mcjobs replacing living wages, house price insanity.

The current GDP measure if like lumping the green shoots of spring together with maligant cancer simply because they both form of 'growth'.

If I lost my job (many thousands belowage salary) I'd be not much worse off on the dole and claiming housing benefit.

Err, hopefully not too belly up, otherwise you probably won't want to buy a house (or be able to) anymore...

HOLA4416
Because out of all the things that i do , first and foremost i am an underachiever, this way its a  saftey net for failure. If i stay within my safe bounds then nothing bad can happen to me mentally, ive got a slight superiority neurosis which i would like to keep and to maintain that i need to surround myself with people who i know are not are smart as me.

Im like a coiled spring just watching and waiting (complaining as i retract more) im really just trying to make everything happen with a synergy that makes it more than its individual constituants, all the pieces of the puzzle need to be carefully placed.

OR

EDITED:

English diploma next ya think ?

Lol

I like the 'coiled spring' metaphor. I think I'll work that into a few conversations over the coming days :)

HOLA4417

I was not particularly impressed with the programme which may or may not have been watched by the masses. But, suppose it was viewed by 95% of the population how many sheeple will adopt the view that `it won`t happen to me` it `only happens to others`.

That, I submit, is the problem.

horace.

Edited by horace

HOLA4418
Guest pioneer31

The current GDP measure if like lumping the green shoots of spring together with maligant cancer simply because they are both forms of 'growth'.

If I lost my job (many thousands below average salary) I'd be not much worse off on the dole and claiming housing benefit.

I agree entirely with what you've said.

I've been suffering for quite a while now, locked out of the housing market (in my 30's too) but sadly earning a naff wage despite doing the Uni thing. If the economy goes into meltdown, I won't be that much worse off, in fact I'll probably not even notice the difference.

HOLA4419
I've been suffering for quite a while now, locked out of the housing market  (in my 30's too) but sadly earning a naff wage despite doing the Uni thing. If the economy goes into meltdown, I won't be that much worse off, in fact I'll probably not even notice the difference.

Everyone goes to Uni thesedays, this isn't the 60's when you left uni and society genuinely owed you a profession, sadly it's now the other way around.

I think some people on here are confusing a slowdown with a recession with a depression.

HOLA4420
im really just trying to make everything happen with a synergy that makes it more than its individual constituants, all the pieces of the puzzle need to be carefully placed.

A facinating concept that I have always found particularly useless in real life situations. Isn't the point of synergy not to place the pieces at all but to reliquish ego and allow them to align natually with healing the energy of the universe? :huh:

HOLA4421

I'm saving for a horse to survive the Katrina oil shock. A house is of secondary importance.

luckily I have a relatively recession proof job as a quack. I could buy a house if I took my private practice into account but that is far from recession proof.

Many of my colleagues have borrowed huge amounts of money with enormous mortgages funded by their private practice earnings. Mostly they have still only been able to buy very average houses. Could all end in tears although I hope not.

I knew at least one doctor last time round who had over stretched himself financially and rather than explain to his family he very sadly killed himself.

That's the real downside. I just want a house, but this has the potential to cause great misery amongst those whose financial paranoia is less than mine.

HOLA4422
I agree entirely with what you've said.

I've been suffering for quite a while now, locked out of the housing market  (in my 30's too) but sadly earning a naff wage despite doing the Uni thing. If the economy goes into meltdown, I won't be that much worse off, in fact I'll probably not even notice the difference.

I have to agree, though I expect any economic meltdown would cause me some heartache (unemployment is a real possibility as I am a contractor in I.T. of all things....oh dear) The reality is, I couldn't care less about my line of work and am presently lining my pockets (well as much as I can anyway). In the event I am made unemployed I can go out and get a crap job, use my (by then huge deposit) and buy a house! All in all, I personally prefer a downturn to a slowdown, even if it brings me a bit of pain!

HOLA4423
I'm saving for a horse to survive the Katrina oil shock. A house is of secondary importance.

luckily I have a relatively recession proof job as a quack. I could buy a house if I took my private practice into account but that is far from recession proof.

Of all the medical specialties, I imagine yours would be the growth market in a massive recession.

The plastic surgeons won't be raking in so much (unless people are looking for a new face to escape bankruptcy).

HOLA4424
Can I just ask a genuine question about something that mystifies me?  Why are you all so gleeful at the prospect of the economy going down the pan?  Do you all think you're teflon coated and it won't affect you?  Your jobs are just as much at risk as anyone else's.

Its not so much glee as finding tranquility within the chaos :lol::lol::lol: A recession has its own momentum which nobody here has the power to control ... but I can look forward to a lower priced house (maybe a bit of joy in the chaos!!)

HOLA4425
Guest Bart of Darkness
I'm saving for a horse to survive the Katrina oil shock.

Just make sure it dioesn't get nicked by joyriders and wrapped around some lampost.

Or stolen by starving mobs and turned into horse stakes.

...For without fuel they were nothing.  They had built a house of straw ...

Mad Max 2 narration