House Price Crash Forum

So, You Have Had Your Offer Accepted On A House

HOLA441

I will seriously miss renting, havent touched any tools or paintbrushes since we got here, has been great.

I'm renting and have just taken delivery of 12 massive rolls of loft insulation to lay myself...

If it makes our bedrooms warmer, and cuts our fuel bills, it (and £36) is a small price to pay.

HOLA442

What will I do? Absolutely nothing, I'll exchange on the agreed price. Property I'm about to exchange on (2 bed semi with decent garden); agreed price is 60% of the sale price the next door house sold for in 2007, mortgage will be £200pcm less than I pay in rent for a 1 bed flat, and mortgage is just over 1.4x household income. Negotiated post survey an additional £10k reduction to original accepted offer. I think it's a fair deal - it's not an investment so I just want to complete asap and get in to my new home.

I could renegotiate close to exchange but don't see the point - some will call me a mug, but that's life. Once I get the property at least I'll be able to decorate - beats the hell out of renting.

this is classic rationalisation - pay too much on a unnegotiated rental on a shoe box and then compare mortgage costs at historical interest rate lows on a property that needs work doing bought with a large deposit.

Edited by Si1

HOLA443

Post on MSE asking how to get my surveyor to up the value so I can afford to pay what I offered...

Oh no, hang on I'm not a brainless f&cktard.

then thank everyone on HPC with smug faux-gratitude for their suggestions ("don't do it") and do it anyway

Edited by Si1

HOLA444

I'm quite looking forward to the raft of power tools I'll be buying in the next couple of weeks, and the fact that I won't be living in beige / magnolai paradise after letting rip with some paint.

Now, whether I'll say that in 3 years time I have no idea! :lol:

3 weeks and you'll be sick of it.

Have you read MSE's latest sob stories from people who bought only to find drains are an issue that need drive ripping up?

HOLA445
HOLA446

3 weeks and you'll be sick of it.

Have you read MSE's latest sob stories from people who bought only to find drains are an issue that need drive ripping up?

Haven't read them but can imagine. Trouble is that these days people have no idea how to do things themselves, or rather they have no idea what they're capable of because they've never tried - they just prefer to bleat about how unfair life is and then scoot through the yellow pages with credit card in hand searching for someone to take their money off them whilst working out how to sue the surveyor / conveyancer / previous owner etc.

HOLA447

this is classic rationalisation - pay too much on a unnegotiated rental on a shoe box and then compare mortgage costs at historical interest rate lows on a property that needs work doing bought with a large deposit.

Awww, you say it like it's a bad thing :lol: Thanks for highlighting the error in my desire to want to just get on with my life ;)

HOLA448
HOLA449

let me put this scenario to you TMT.....

we had two properties, sold one at the peak in 2007, no mortgage on either.

now upsizing our current home, 35% more cash is getting a house twice as big in a better part of a great area + south garden + garage + views.

to my way of thinking I'm protecting another 35% of my assetts into a dream home, whilst hedging that we may have deflation.

thoughts ?

ps due to exchange in the next 2-3weeks.

UK property prices are collapsing. What was the point of your post? Most people were too greedy/stupid to cash out in `07, most people could only dream of having no mortgage on two properties they "own". The prices of said properties are going through the floor. What was your point?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

If you're a deluded yummy mummy just tell yourself (and more importantly your friends) that you live a highly sought after area, with some great schools, and that you will be immune from any house price drops.

and that no, no, your ass is not starting to look fat in those jeans. At least a few dummy mummy`s really will lose weight when the coffee allowance goes?

HOLA4412

A little bit off-topic this, but thought you might be interested.

A close friend is a partner in an EA in the West Country. She phoned yesterday - usual niceties and chat, but I could tell something was wrong.

‘How’s it going’ I asked

‘’Fine - August was our best ever month’

‘Great - now tell me the truth!’ I said.

‘It’s absolutely crap and we are going under’

She then went on to tell me that sales have absolutely slumped. There’s no money out there and the business is not even getting enquiries.

THIS IS GOING TO BE MASSIVE - THE SH1T IS REALLY HITTING THE FAN. EVEN THE IMF HAVE RECOGNISED THAT THE CUTS ARE GOING TO DEVESTATE THE ECONOMY AND SUGGEST THEY MAY NEED TO BE REVERSED.

Hang in there brothers and sisters :lol: