HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

What's bonkers about it? It's a great idea.

This is what happens when Americans start to plan for alternative energies. I don't think any other country will beat them when it comes to the crunch.

We'll beat them for the next 10 years. But only because we're more prepared. Life will be more uneventful in the UK than anywhere else. Which is nice.

Edited: Once the Americans get the bit between their teeth - and they're gonna be hopping mad by 2015/2016 if not a little sooner... they'll come flying back.

Edited by AvidFan

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

my god what a joke.they will get filthy, they will break, they will have no traction when wet.

:lol:

One of my favourite examples that I use with students to illustrate the power of science and scientists to make things work is PVC.

If I invented PVC today, took it to my boss and said 'I've made this great new material, we'll be able to wrap all our food in it and even make our window frames from it' I'm sure he'd call for the men in white coats when I explained how toxic and sensitive to sunlight it is.

But way back when PVC was the only polymer in town the scientists made it work, and if someone has the will they could make this work.

HOLA4414

Hilarious. Ever driven in Michigan? Roads are all cracked and split so the circuit would be too. Then there's the traffic jams, nose to tail = no light on the surface, so all the cars stop ! Finally snow even dirt would block the light completely.

Wacky idea, shame it's not a serious one otherwise could be fun.

HOLA4415

my god what a joke.they will get filthy, they will break, they will have no traction when wet.

No. The proposal involves making them out of a special textured glass that would give better grip than tarmac even when wet, andwould be about and be 10x as hard wearing

HOLA4416

Hilarious. Ever driven in Michigan? Roads are all cracked and split so the circuit would be too. Then there's the traffic jams, nose to tail = no light on the surface, so all the cars stop ! Finally snow even dirt would block the light completely.

Thin layer of photocatalyst would solve some of the dirt problem, converting some of the solar collected to heat would solve some of the snow/ice problem. Don't PV cells get hot anyway?

HOLA4417

You have said "bonkers" with no back up logic or reasoning. It makes a lot of sense and needs no new science. It only needs the will and the know how that America is famous for. Their biggest obstacle is to get past the oil industry with its lobbies and influence but if they don't do it then somebody else will. I see nothing against it and everything for it. A system that could provide all the power used by the whole world and you call it bonkers! Good luck to 'em and bring it on!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Tracks? That could transfer the electricity too.

They'll be driving round in little trains.

Nothing wrong with that :)

how will they react in a lightning strike?

LED's are nice little gizmos,but applying a couple of million volts of static to them is not going to be terribly healthy.

likewise with conductive tyres.....the one benefit rubber has is that it's a good insulator.

I suppuse you could put a bloody great rail of (inductive)resistance wire down the middle of the road,pump in a high frequency signal,and have a coupling bar on the underside of the vehicle to pick it up.

Edited by oracle

HOLA4420

so you don't encase it in glass which is too brittle,you encase it in epoxy!

..plastic based and will have a bit of elasticity in it.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

It's a great idea all the while the U.S dept of Transport is subsidising it, but looks totally unworkable in practice.

Even at $1000 a tonne, liquid asphalt is many times more cost effective than the solar road that they're designing. Traditional roads are much easier and cheaper to repair too.

If solar was a money spinner then it would be in production anyway, complicating technology that is already flawed just compounds the problems.

HOLA4423

One of the alternative energy guru's can shoot me down, but aren't plate glass factories a bit like Aluminium smelters.. as in, they usually have to build a power station next door to them?

I think it's an interesting concept, but I still think thin film will be the way to go as it will require less energy to produce and will be cheaper to manufacture.

I'm not sure that the engineering challenges and maintenance issues wouldn't be insurmountable for laying electricity collecting glass roads.

HOLA4424

Singularity hub has some interesting responses.

Simply that they have no working prototype yet and depend on certain break throughs for this to be able to work.

Also it has no storage capacity. AND on top of that a poster on the hub stated that it's pay back period is longer than the life of the thing...

HOLA4425

Totally bonkers.

The dirt is the obvious issue, though there are numerous others.

Clearly they thought what man made structure could they stick this on, but failed to think about roofs.