HOLA441
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

:P

My VISA for Saudi Arabia arrived today. 15th october 2010 I depart this septic Isle for the forseeable!

You really think Sauda Arabia is going to be better than the UK? Australia, Canada, somewhere in Europe maybe...but Saudi Arabia???

HOLA445

You really think Sauda Arabia is going to be better than the UK? Australia, Canada, somewhere in Europe maybe...but Saudi Arabia???

Depends what you mean by 'better'.... I once got offered an absolutely obscene amount of money to go work there for 12 months ... genuinely disgusting amount of money .... I can't think of any other reason to possibly describe as better than the UK ....... but then I'm not running away from something and deluding myself ...

HOLA446

Of course not.

However whilst there I am only an hour away from the real world - Bahrain

Im 37. I already have a Aussie passport and by the time I am 45 around $1 million to take with me should I decide to settle there ;)

HOLA447

Depends what you mean by 'better'.... I once got offered an absolutely obscene amount of money to go work there for 12 months ... genuinely disgusting amount of money .... I can't think of any other reason to possibly describe as better than the UK ....... but then I'm not running away from something and deluding myself ...

Due to the tax free status of the offer I would have to earn well over £100K in the UK to match what I have been offered. On top of the salary is a 1 bedroom house on the RT compound - $80 a month. If I stay for 10 years my severance package including benefits is approx £200K

My hobbies are sailing, diving, and fishing - all of which are available 10 minutes walk from home - year round B)

HOLA448
HOLA449

Due to the tax free status of the offer I would have to earn well over £100K in the UK to match what I have been offered. On top of the salary is a 1 bedroom house on the RT compound - $80 a month. If I stay for 10 years my severance package including benefits is approx £200K

My hobbies are sailing, diving, and fishing - all of which are available 10 minutes walk from home - year round B)

Fair play to you.

Don't pretend it's about the UK though, it's about greed. Which is fair enough!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Fair play to you.

Don't pretend it's about the UK though, it's about greed. Which is fair enough!

I want to give up full time work by 50 buy a > 45ft yacht and sail the World. Will probably work on / off in casual roles - contract EHO or claims investigator in winter months to earn some pocket money

Ain't going to achieve that on UK wages after HMRC have taken their cut <_<

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I want to give up full time work by 50 buy a > 45ft yacht and sail the World. Will probably work on / off in casual roles - contract EHO or claims investigator in winter months to earn some pocket money

Ain't going to achieve that on UK wages after HMRC have taken their cut <_<

I'm not criticising you. I'm just gently suggesting this is more about (apparently) easy cash than the UK being 'septic'.

There are lots of ways of achieving a certain financial goal .... some are more morally questionable than others ....

HOLA4414

I'm not criticising you. I'm just gently suggesting this is more about (apparently) easy cash than the UK being 'septic'.

There are lots of ways of achieving a certain financial goal .... some are more morally questionable than others ....

The 'Septic' was more a sarky reflection on the prevailent wailing on this site about the UK

My role - well its basically Environmental Health Manager - food safety, water safety, infectious disease issues and some non industrial H&S issues. In this regard I have little concern about the moral aspect. Theoretically I am there to do good....

HOLA4415
Guest Noodle

Funnily enough just today emailed my old mate Billy Boy, a very well educated engineer, very well to do is Bill. I thought he might still be at the Games job . . . nope South Africa. Works with another old colleague there, she's a bright one 'n all.

People do leave Blighty, but they always have, it's nothing new. My Uncle left in the 60's, Ph.D cutting edge technology . . . US.

It's our education, our skills and our passport.

I'm trying to look on the bright side here, help me out.

HOLA4416

Only chap i knew who worked there said he had to 'employ' lots of Saudi nationals family members who'd turn up for work once in a blue moon and even if that happened would just watch TV or something.

Saudisation

Aramco a few years ago tried to train up a load of nationals as EHO's and Industrial Hygienists. They eventually gave up and reverted back to recruiting in Europe - predominantly the UK

KSA has more than enough indigenious people to do all the work there. Unfortunately the situation you describe above is fairly prevailent. The other problem is that whilst Education is universal much of what is taught is of little practical use to employers - Memorising the Koran is great if you want a job with the Religious police.

HOLA4417

Funnily enough just today emailed my old mate Billy Boy, a very well educated engineer, very well to do is Bill. I thought he might still be at the Games job . . . nope South Africa. Works with another old colleague there, she's a bright one 'n all.

People do leave Blighty, but they always have, it's nothing new. My Uncle left in the 60's, Ph.D cutting edge technology . . . US.

Lot's of Ph.D's etc ..head in the opposite direction too .... that's quite 'bright' ....

HOLA4418

http://www.localrecruit.co.uk/weston-super-mare/

HOLA4419
Guest Noodle

Lot's of Ph.D's etc ..head in the opposite direction too .... that's quite 'bright' ....

Yes, exactly.

I might rebuild Weston pier when I get back.

These two that moved to SA, the lass did it some 8 years ago and Bill recently, the most unlikely people. These were two of the most balanced individuals I've ever known.

I thought SA was . . . :ph34r:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Yes, exactly.

I might rebuild Weston pier when I get back.

These two that moved to SA, the lass did it some 8 years ago and Bill recently, the most unlikely people. These were two of the most balanced individuals I've ever known.

I thought SA was . . . :ph34r:

What are you doing with your Thailand pad?

HOLA4422
Guest Noodle

What are you doing with your Thailand pad?

Mother-in-law and our kid will move in here hopefully, Nat and Sal will use it when back up here visiting.

As long as someone does the garden is the main thing.

HOLA4423

poster.jpg

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Guest Noodle

Do you have Nebosh (construction) Cert & CDM ticket? In the emails I get from various recruiters there always seems to be a regular demand for these in construction realted H&S roles.

http://www.shponline.co.uk/

Got the CITB site managers one, loads of this stuff, most of it a complete nonsense. CITB/WAMITAB is the ideal combination for digging and refilling holes.

How much is that NEBOSH one?

Archived