House Price Crash Forum

Pushed It Too Hard Restarting Weight Training

pl1

HOLA441

Started weight training on Tuesday, clearly pushed it too hard, now top of my forearm very tender and cannot extend it fully backwards. I'm guessing tendonitis? Still sore 2 days later. Any idea how long this injury lasts & how serious it is?

edit: Is Deep Heat any good (not the film, the creme)?

HOLA442
HOLA443

Started weight training on Tuesday, clearly pushed it too hard, now top of my forearm very tender and cannot extend it fully backwards. I'm guessing tendonitis? Still sore 2 days later. Any idea how long this injury lasts & how serious it is?

2 days is when Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (the DOMS) tends to peak. As you hadn't done it for a while I would say give it 2-3 more days and if it is still giving you problems then see someone about it. Until then I'd enjoy the feeling knowing that the DOMS is usually an indicator of rapid muscle growth. The pain is thought to be due to increased pressure on blood capillaries from the rapidly growing muscle.

Bear in mind this is only advice from someone who's done 7 years of lifting and not medical advice. ;)

HOLA444
HOLA445

Tendonitis tends to gradually appear over time. You sound like you just have a sore arm from pushing it too hard too fast.

If it doesn't go away within a week go and see a physio. If it does forget about it.

This is not advice as I am not a Pro - but I am pretty sure it is what a physio would tell you if you asked !!

HOLA446
Guest theboltonfury

Tendonitis tends to gradually appear over time. You sound like you just have a sore arm from pushing it too hard too fast.

If it doesn't go away within a week go and see a physio. If it does forget about it.

This is not advice as I am not a Pro - but I am pretty sure it is what a physio would tell you if you asked !!

As I have learnt the hard way, it's not alway clever to try and be Billy Big Balls in the gym, and as such sacrifice form. I thought injury only happened to other people and I knew what I was doing.

I got up to pressing 150kg (3 sets of 6-8) on a Smith Machine. In doing such a heavy weight I have brought on tendonitis across the top of both shoulders. At first I thought it was the Rotator but it's the cromiumclavia joint that connects the collar bone to the shoulder. It's the little button of bone you can feel on the top of both shoulders.

Not pleasant but manageable now that I have stopped using the Smith and use the free Bar or Dumbells instead.

HOLA447

Did you touch cloth?

HOLA448

As I have learnt the hard way, it's not alway clever to try and be Billy Big Balls in the gym, and as such sacrifice form. I thought injury only happened to other people and I knew what I was doing.

I got up to pressing 150kg (3 sets of 6-8) on a Smith Machine. In doing such a heavy weight I have brought on tendonitis across the top of both shoulders. At first I thought it was the Rotator but it's the cromiumclavia joint that connects the collar bone to the shoulder. It's the little button of bone you can feel on the top of both shoulders.

Not pleasant but manageable now that I have stopped using the Smith and use the free Bar or Dumbells instead.

Leave your ego at the door and all that.. ;) I've been lifting for around 7 years and the only injury I got was when I smashed a weight against my finger when re-racking it. :rolleyes: Only got to around 100kg on the Smith before I found it unstable.

HOLA449

snap. i think i've hurt myself a bit too. i've laid off the training for over a month now and it still hasn't gone away. symptoms: shooting pains up my forearms when doing pull-ups, slight ache in my right front delt doing front raises (even with no weight) and right shoulder niggles generally. i'm suspecting tendonitis in the forearms, which could also plausibly be RSI from the way i work compounded by being aged 50+. all a bit depressing.

HOLA4410

snap. i think i've hurt myself a bit too. i've laid off the training for over a month now and it still hasn't gone away. symptoms: shooting pains up my forearms when doing pull-ups, slight ache in my right front delt doing front raises (even with no weight) and right shoulder niggles generally. i'm suspecting tendonitis in the forearms, which could also plausibly be RSI from the way i work compounded by being aged 50+. all a bit depressing.

I'm hoping it's delayed onset soreness it might be a bit of both. I've had this before but I don't quite remember it being so bad. I'll see how it is by 'tweekend.

How gradual is gradual?

HOLA4411

Tendonitis like tennis elbow etc you get from over training for a long period of time, think many months. Either because of insufficient rest between hard exercise or building up muscle too fast. (tendons take 6-10 times longer to strengthen than muscle tissue does, assuming you aren't taking anything to 'enhance' muscle growth.)

If you had ripped a tendon you would have known about it immediately (it would hurt straight away) and you would have swelling by now and possibly a bruise forming.

95% certain that you have simply overdone it starting back at the gym and your muscles are shocked at having to do exercise. you will be sore and tight for a few days, you should figure out which muscle groups are complaining and look up stretching exercises. Do some light stretching for 15 minutes 2 or 3 times day until they feel fine again.

If you can remember how many reps and what weight you were doing, when you go back to the gym warm up and stretch properly before you start, knock back what you are lifting by to about 60% of what you did before and when finished do a bit more stretching and eat some decent food or have one of the protein shakes within 15 minutes of finishing.

You need to spend 2-4 weeks getting your body used to exercise again so aim to build back up to the level of your first session over that time before pushing it again.

HOLA4412

Weight training.

Why?

Isn't it just the crappest ...?

I suppose I should edit this to say this is a serious question. I have played sport to quite a high level and been fit (seriously) at times.

What is the point of all this rippling muscle if you can't run up a hill?

Gyms always struck me as soft ghey places for people who were too weak to deal with cold, wet and mud, where people might end up looking ripped but weren't fit.

HOLA4413

Weight training.

Why?

Isn't it just the crappest ...?

I suppose I should edit this to say this is a serious question. I have played sport to quite a high level and been fit (seriously) at times.

What is the point of all this rippling muscle if you can't run up a hill?

Gyms always struck me as soft ghey places for people who were too weak to deal with cold, wet and mud, where people might end up looking ripped but weren't fit.

There are many different forms of fitness. In today's society I'd prefer to be strong and fast than to be a twig-like marathon runner. Cardio is boring.

HOLA4414

Tendonitis like tennis elbow etc you get from over training for a long period of time, think many months. Either because of insufficient rest between hard exercise or building up muscle too fast. (tendons take 6-10 times longer to strengthen than muscle tissue does, assuming you aren't taking anything to 'enhance' muscle growth.)

If you had ripped a tendon you would have known about it immediately (it would hurt straight away) and you would have swelling by now and possibly a bruise forming.

95% certain that you have simply overdone it starting back at the gym and your muscles are shocked at having to do exercise. you will be sore and tight for a few days, you should figure out which muscle groups are complaining and look up stretching exercises. Do some light stretching for 15 minutes 2 or 3 times day until they feel fine again.

If you can remember how many reps and what weight you were doing, when you go back to the gym warm up and stretch properly before you start, knock back what you are lifting by to about 60% of what you did before and when finished do a bit more stretching and eat some decent food or have one of the protein shakes within 15 minutes of finishing.

You need to spend 2-4 weeks getting your body used to exercise again so aim to build back up to the level of your first session over that time before pushing it again.

Stretching is over-rated and can weaken muscles leading to increased likelihood for injury. Just do a 10 minute walk and then you're fine to lift.

HOLA4415
Guest theboltonfury

Leave your ego at the door and all that.. ;) I've been lifting for around 7 years and the only injury I got was when I smashed a weight against my finger when re-racking it. :rolleyes: Only got to around 100kg on the Smith before I found it unstable.

I too have done the finger thing! What a shitter that is.

The gym I go to is very non ego driven. I am not one of those that trains in a vest and kisses his biceps in between sets.

I got stuck under the bar once and had to ask for help. When you've done that, you don't even think about trying to impress anyone or anything. In, out, shower, home.

HOLA4416

I too have done the finger thing! What a shitter that is.

The gym I go to is very non ego driven. I am not one of those that trains in a vest and kisses his biceps in between sets.

I got stuck under the bar once and had to ask for help. When you've done that, you don't even think about trying to impress anyone or anything. In, out, shower, home.

Yep I've done that, when the Smith machine moved a couple of inches on me. As I was decline pressing this left me unable to lift the weight and 100kg across my hips - could have been worse. I shouted "excuse me" (what else? :D ) and I had a few blokes rush over. Switched back to dumbells for a while after that. Tbh gyms don't seem as bad as they could be when you read some of the stories from the US about things that happen over there.

HOLA4417
Guest theboltonfury

Yep I've done that, when the Smith machine moved a couple of inches on me. As I was decline pressing this left me unable to lift the weight and 100kg across my hips - could have been worse. I shouted "excuse me" (what else? :D ) and I had a few blokes rush over. Switched back to dumbells for a while after that. Tbh gyms don't seem as bad as they could be when you read some of the stories from the US about things that happen over there.

I did it on the free barbell. I had it lying across my sternum with me trying to wriggle free. Looked like a fish on dry land.

Like you say, all you can think of is a polite, Hugh Grantesque, 'I'm sorry to bother you, but I appear to be a touch stuck here. Would you mind awfully.....'

HOLA4418

I started weight training again last year, after my first session back I could barely move my arms for the best part of a week. It was hell.

But I just put it down to normal post workout muscle soreness; when your body readjusts itself to the gym the pain will gradually reduce, so then you have to look for workouts that bring it back again so you know that you're progressing.

HOLA4419

I started weight training again last year, after my first session back I could barely move my arms for the best part of a week. It was hell.

But I just put it down to normal post workout muscle soreness; when your body readjusts itself to the gym the pain will gradually reduce, so then you have to look for workouts that bring it back again so you know that you're progressing.

+1

To be honest this is the only thing stopping me getting back into it. The missus works at a gym so I get free membership, used to use it all the time (it's how we met) and was in good shape. Two kids and the stopping of playing football semi-professionally later and I've put on about 2 stone of chubb.

I know when I eventually decide to start training again it's going to hurt.

Thinking about it, where's the remote ......

HOLA4420

i've been training for thirty years now so i hope i can offer some advice. years ago in my prime i worked up to be able to bench press 320 lb. but , only having thin wrists, i burst the bursa in one of my wrists(thats a fluid sack that lubricates the joint). so now i get a sore wrist from time to time. so, i learnt that heavy weights don't always do you any good.

my advice is; take a few days off and let your arm recover then go back to the gym. just do a few sets for each bodypart, then add a set each week until you feel you are doing enough. keep the reps to around twelve for most sets. on the days you feel crappy do less.

HOLA4421

+1

To be honest this is the only thing stopping me getting back into it. The missus works at a gym so I get free membership, used to use it all the time (it's how we met) and was in good shape. Two kids and the stopping of playing football semi-professionally later and I've put on about 2 stone of chubb.

I know when I eventually decide to start training again it's going to hurt.

Thinking about it, where's the remote ......

It doesn't have to be like that.

Just take it easy for a few weeks and build up to an exercise regime instead of trying to kill yourself on your first workout back in the gym.

HOLA4422

It doesn't have to be like that.

Just take it easy for a few weeks and build up to an exercise regime instead of trying to kill yourself on your first workout back in the gym.

Yeah I know, but what I'll be able to do now compared to what I could do a couple of years ago will make me feel like what's the point.

Need to do it though, as recently lost my job and looking to get back into the football, playing and also getting coaching badges etc. Think there may well be opportunities coming up for more qualified, experienced coaches on the back of our abject failure at the world cup.

HOLA4423

You are 100% right. I woke up this morning and it was a fair bit better, still a bit tender but I can now extend my arm back more (still not fully) and the pain has subdued a fair bit. Without a doubt this has to be one of the most painful experiences of my life in both it's intensity and duration (I was going to start a thread about this, but I see someone has beaten me to it).

Lessons Learned:

1. I am no longer 21 and need to accept this. Any physical exertion I perform especially when I am not used to it will take a lot longer to heal

so as advised you need to ease into it. Just deal with it.

2. Ego & narcissism most definitely need to be left at the door of the gym. I will much rather in future accept a bruise to my ego than a long sustained aching pain that can prevent further training. This also applies to injuries that are a result of long-term bad form and "weight throwing".

3. Stop being a tightass skinflint. The gym cost me £5.30 for the session (seemed pricey to me) and I wanted to get my moneys worth so did a good hour. I should have stopped after 30 minutes. If anyone is reading this in future my advice would be to buy a weights bench and some weights from ebay or Argos and use these for a couple of months, they'll pay for themselves and should last a good while, until you can safely lift heavier weights.

HOLA4424

You are 100% right. I woke up this morning and it was a fair bit better, still a bit tender but I can now extend my arm back more (still not fully) and the pain has subdued a fair bit. Without a doubt this has to be one of the most painful experiences of my life in both it's intensity and duration (I was going to start a thread about this, but I see someone has beaten me to it).

Lessons Learned:

1. I am no longer 21 and need to accept this. Any physical exertion I perform especially when I am not used to it will take a lot longer to heal

so as advised you need to ease into it. Just deal with it.

2. Ego & narcissism most definitely need to be left at the door of the gym. I will much rather in future accept a bruise to my ego than a long sustained aching pain that can prevent further training. This also applies to injuries that are a result of long-term bad form and "weight throwing".

3. Stop being a tightass skinflint. The gym cost me £5.30 for the session (seemed pricey to me) and I wanted to get my moneys worth so did a good hour. I should have stopped after 30 minutes. If anyone is reading this in future my advice would be to buy a weights bench and some weights from ebay or Argos and use these for a couple of months, they'll pay for themselves and should last a good while, until you can safely lift heavier weights.

I think this is really good advice.

Why don't you get a monthly gym package? Should be around £30/month but there seems to be good downward pressure on prices now.

HOLA4425

I think this is really good advice.

Why don't you get a monthly gym package? Should be around £30/month but there seems to be good downward pressure on prices now.

I would but I travel about with work too much atm to make it worth my while hence I have to use daily rates. Not normaly at home during 'tweek. I had another thread about mobile gyms/gyms on the move recently. The advice there was fold-flat weights bench and some dumbells or

Gymgroup

Somthing like that looks good but I'm not in any of the areas and my experience of gyms which cost less tend to be cramped to busting at peak hours.

Pain subdued even further now from just a few hours ago, so I'm best pleased at this outcome. If you don't follow the advice in this thread when returning to weights, you will be in for about 7 day's of pain 3-4 of which will be very severe.

Archived