House Price Crash Forum

Live Chat Ftb Surgery On The Times 1500 Today

mbga9pgf

HOLA441

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/live_debate/article6996925.ece

Shall we all get on and give them what we think?

From Times Online January 21, 2010

First-time buyer surgery: get advice live, 3pm today

Join the property team for advice on the market and how to get onto the property ladder. Register below for a reminder.

Property prices may be lower but first-time buyers are finding it more difficult than ever to climb onto the housing ladder, without the help of their parents. Do you feel that banks are discriminating against twentysomethings? Are you having problems reconciling yourself to - possibly - a lifetime of renting? Join our Live Chat today at 3pm to tell us what you think and to hear the advice of our expert panel.

Featuring a load of VIs to vent your fury at.

Anne Ashworth, the Editor of The Times, Bricks & Mortar

Melanie Bien, Director of Savills Private Finance, www.spf.co.uk/mortgages

Matt Hutchinson, Director of SpareRoom, www.spareroom.co.uk

Jonathan Moore, Director of EasyRoommate.com

HOLA442
HOLA443

All they need is lots of 'normal' FTB's on fairly standard salaries and ask what advice they would offer.

Imagine, a simple FTB earning something around average (25K say) with a 10K deposit in the bank I would love to see what these cretins suggest.

Instead what I am sure we will get is a whole lot of patronising nonsense about 'how it was hard back in my day' 'the banks really need to start lending again' I can guarantee at no point will anyone on the panel point out that prices are just effing stupid and are out of sync with earnings (whether that is to buy or rent).

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

No, don't. You will make a fool of yourself and this place needs all the help it can get. Not some lame ass fool who thinks he's an economist. stay out of things you know nothing about.

Edited by Jister1

HOLA4411

No, don't. You will make a fool of yourself and this place needs all the help it can get. Not some lame ass fool who thinks he's an economist. stay out of things you know nothing about.

Shut it you ****.

if you think this is economic advice, you need your head feeling

Anne Ashworth - The sad thing for first time buyers is that there are some forecasts of further small house prices falls later in the year, as tax rises and job cuts bite. But the market is expected to rebound again next year. This means that there are some bargains around, but first-time buyers who cannot get help from their parents can't make the sums work

HOLA4412

This is what Ashworth wrote back in 2008, so dont expect much sympathy.

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/property/buying_and_selling/article3589415.ece

When I was a 29-year-old first-time buyer, in 1994, did I cavil and wail about not being able to move in next door to my parents in leafy (and far too expensive) Wimbledon, southwest London? Certainly not. Newly married, I charged off to Hackney, in the east, a district so far from the orbit of my family, it took 10 months before any relation plucked up the courage to visit me.

Lol, taken a look at house prices in Hackney 1994 vs now, love?

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA4413

Shut it you ****.

if you think this is economic advice, you need your head feeling

Ah silly me...it's just that this thread is in the House prices and economy section and judging by your contributions to the forum I mistook you for economist. :lol:

By the way what your argument for further price drops in property? obviously it will have nothing to do with the economy...but I would like you to tell me ;)

Edited by Jister1

HOLA4414

Well I had a question answered ....

[Comment From Paul Paul: ]

Simple question, why are high house prices good the nation? When ever they go up, the Times and BBC always report as positive news, yet if the price if petrol goes up, it's bad?

Anne Ashworth:

Paul, we do always try to report things fairly. IN fact, some readers think that we are too downbeat when talking about increases in the major housing indices, especially when we point out how many people are still shut out from the market

Matt Hutchinson:

Paul - For good or bad we've become a nation that considers owning a property important (compared to others on the continent where long term renting is the norm)

[Comment From Spencer Cushing Spencer Cushing: ]

Paul - because we are a nation of house owners or at least we aspire to be compared with the majority of Europe!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Well I had a question answered ....

I continued it:

Jonathan, "appear" better and "being" better are two different things entirely. As an industry, isn't it your duty to educate people that high house prices are not good for them? To reiterate, the only people that high house prices are good for are those who are downsizing or emigrating

Jonathan Moore: John - I agree with you, the situation for FTBs is now very, very difficult the government needs to take action. Perhaps futher controls on BTL landlords as muted by the Lib Dems?

HOLA4417

I continued it:

Handy Gen.

Comment From Henry Pryor]

Tips on driving a hard bargain? Sure. Find yourself a buying agent to start with. Level the playing field. Estate Agents (sorry for the language) represent the seller so get someone in your corner. When you've found something, don't be English about it - don't worry about the sellers blood pressure - make them an offer and remember, nobody sells if the property is perfect. There's always a reason. Find that reason and squeeze it. Remember also that the seller usually has to sell (to move on, to pay debts...) you don't have to buy unless it's right. The volume of sales at present is so low that no one can prove what something is worth. I bought a house of a client at the bottom of the Kings Rd in Chelsea for just over £1m. The original guide was £1.6m !!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Well, what a load of rubbish that was. Nothing pertinent from the 'panel', what I got out of it was:

There seem to be a lot of people wanting to get onto the ladder, with decent salaries, decent deposits, however prices are still too unrealistic even for them.

The panel bloke 'jonathan' seemed to imply that he thought high house prices were bad, however steered himself away from that.

HPC is still on, I feel.