House Price Crash Forum

Mrs Robinson

getdoon_weebobby

HOLA441

statement just issued on sky news

depression is down to her having an affair it seems

tried to take her life

doesnt sound like shes been following the workings of the bible..............

although she said she believes she has been forgiven by God and the revelations would not undermine his role as first minister

so business as usual!

no hypocricy there then.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8444153.stm

The wife of Northern Ireland's first minister, Peter Robinson, has revealed she tried to kill herself while suffering depression after an affair.

Mr Robinson, leader of the DUP, said they would try to save their marriage.

Mrs Robinson announced in December she was stepping down from politics due to ill health. The couple were married in 1970 and have three grown-up children.

Mr Robinson who has been first minister since June 2008, said he will continue in his job.

In an interview on Wednesday, he said he first learned of the affair on March 1 2009, the night Mrs Robinson attempted suicide.

Mr Robinson, who appeared close to tears, said he had been "deeply hurt" and that his immediate impulse had been to walk away from the marriage.

'Ashamed'

However, he said he had set the affair against 40 years of a loving relationship and had forgiven his wife.

Mrs Robinson said in a statement that she was "completely ashamed and deeply embarrassed" by the affair which had "devastated" her life and the lives of those around her.

She said she began the brief affair while she was supporting a man who had suffered a bereavement.

She said she had also encouraged friends to help him by "providing financial support for a business venture."

Mrs Robinson used the statement to publically apologise to her husband, her wider family and friends.

She said she would "pay any price on earth" to take back the wrong she had done.

She added: "I do not deserve a second chance but I have been given one."

Mrs Robinson said she believes she has been forgiven by God.

Mr Robinson insisted that the revelations would not undermine his role as first minister.

He said he would be back at work on Thursday morning, ready to meet the Sinn Fein deputy first minister, Martin McGuinness.

The development comes as the power sharing arrangements in Northern Ireland are under pressure in a dispute over the timing of devolution of policing and justice.

Sinn Fein said the powers should be devolved immediately while the DUP say more must be done to build confidence among the unionist community before devolution happens.

Edited by getdoon_weebobby

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

i have also seen the same issues arise within my family.

however the difference here i felt is they are in the media eye and Iris has been very vocal in her religious views for which some of her actions dont seem to follow her words.

anyway enough said and if doccyboy feels this should be dropped then thats ok.

HOLA444

no problem doccyboy.

maybe im too critical but this is a pair of people i have never liked .

jointly received more than £500,000 a year in salaries and expenses

with a further £150,000 in wages being paid to four of their relatives

receipts lodged by Mr Robinson

-£375 bill for replacing the leather on his desk.

Mrs Robinson

- £352 fountain pen,

-£632 briefcase

-£1,780 for a coffee table and lamp

they have chosen to wash their linen in public as well remember (maybe possibly before they were pushed. who knows) . the reason i posted initial was it was breaking news and for the reasons which that i share with this poster on the times website; regardless i genuinely wish them well and hope they come out of it better people

free willie wrote:

Well, well how the mighty (& righteous)have fallen? The good Lord works in mysterious ways.

Isn't it bizarre how so many who publicise their godliness come unstuck? Haven't they got the message yet? The Big Cloud Man doesn't like the way they use his name to promote themselves & will exact vengance.

It's worth reflecting that if the NI Executive had adopted God's law as Iris recommended all government's do, she would have to be stoned as an adulteress.

All this demonstrates the ridiculousness of fundamental religion espoused by people like Iris Robinson.

That said I feel sorry for her now. Depression can be an awful illness. We all do stupid things in our lives. She is human like the rest of us now & hopefully will be a better and more humble person for this experience. I wish her well in her recovery.

January 6, 2010 7:07 PM GMT on community.timesonline.co.uk

Recommend? (18)

HOLA445

no problem doccyboy.

maybe im too critical but this is a pair of people i have never liked .

jointly received more than £500,000 a year in salaries and expenses

with a further £150,000 in wages being paid to four of their relatives

receipts lodged by Mr Robinson

-£375 bill for replacing the leather on his desk.

Mrs Robinson

- £352 fountain pen,

-£632 briefcase

-£1,780 for a coffee table and lamp

they have chosen to wash their linen in public as well remember (maybe possibly before they were pushed. who knows) . the reason i posted initial was it was breaking news and for the reasons which that i share with this poster on the times website; regardless i genuinely wish them well and hope they come out of it better people

free willie wrote:

Well, well how the mighty (& righteous)have fallen? The good Lord works in mysterious ways.

Isn't it bizarre how so many who publicise their godliness come unstuck? Haven't they got the message yet? The Big Cloud Man doesn't like the way they use his name to promote themselves & will exact vengance.

It's worth reflecting that if the NI Executive had adopted God's law as Iris recommended all government's do, she would have to be stoned as an adulteress.

All this demonstrates the ridiculousness of fundamental religion espoused by people like Iris Robinson.

That said I feel sorry for her now. Depression can be an awful illness. We all do stupid things in our lives. She is human like the rest of us now & hopefully will be a better and more humble person for this experience. I wish her well in her recovery.

January 6, 2010 7:07 PM GMT on community.timesonline.co.uk

Recommend? (18)

for one who most publically judged others

tis certainly a most ironic end to her political career

but in the interests of equality

should we not also consider the family values of another political heavyweight?

rock on!

HOLA446

Utterly bizarre media circus surrounding this - UTV live special on at the moment is beyond surreal.

Hard to know whether they should be left alone or if there is an element of stage management to the whole thing - the length and drama of Peter Robinson's statement was just plain strange.

My own reaction would be that it's a personal matter to be dealt with appropriately but appropriate doesn't seem to be on the agenda.

Edited by shipbuilder

HOLA447

the rumour mill has been cranked up a gear on Iris.

If what I am reading elsewhere is true the folks on here will have a field day.

remember though rumours may be false

Peter Robinson's interview felt very reminiscent of Bertie's famous TV interview with Bryan Dobson: an emotionally masterful performance distracting attention from potentially career-damaging revelations (Bertie: Mahon Tribunal ... Robinson: BBC Spotlight). Robinson's only mistake was to read his scripted heart-to-heart statement.

HOLA448

Alot of people believe that Peter was going to have to resign. I can see no reason yet for this and this interview may be an invitation for the media to leave them alone and cloud over other things such as something that Peter would have to resign over.

There was a question regarding questions Spotlight had asked and Peter was quite clear that these questions did not relate to HIM which if we fill in gaps mean it could link to Iris and in one of the interviews it was said that she asked friends for money to help the man she had the affair with to start a business?

How this could link to an NI HPC?

Was the business enterprise linked to a housing development? Was his original business property related? I think it was said that initially she met the man through him being depressed at the loss of his business? (happy to be corrected) 18 months ago wouldn't have been far away from peak and the start of the crash? Is he a developer? Was he linked to the Robinson property dealings?

More importantly if Peter had to resign who would replace him in the DUP? Sammy Wilson? Nigel Dodds? They both could be decisive decision makers but Wilson strikes me more as a loose cannon and would decide what he thinks best rather than what he is advised (climate change).

What if the DUP decided to cut their losses and call an assembly election at the same time as the Westminster one? Could that see a Sinn Fein First Minister?

edit

"Over a year and a half ago I was involved in a relationship. It began completely innocently when I gave support to someone following a family death. I encouraged friends to assist him by providing financial support for a business venture. "

Family death and not business collapse as I had thought.

I think there is alot more to come out and look forward to the Spotlight show due in 2 weeks (if it will still go ahead)

Edited by gordyjuly23

HOLA449

the rumour mill has been cranked up a gear on Iris.

If what I am reading elsewhere is true the folks on here will have a field day.

remember though rumours may be false

Peter Robinson's interview felt very reminiscent of Bertie's famous TV interview with Bryan Dobson: an emotionally masterful performance distracting attention from potentially career-damaging revelations (Bertie: Mahon Tribunal ... Robinson: BBC Spotlight). Robinson's only mistake was to read his scripted heart-to-heart statement.

there have been rumours alledgedly concerning the robinsons and property, planning etc

even from the time many moons ago and onwards when they entered the political game

no one has ever had the balls to make them in public

no doubt we will soon find out if the old rumour mill was correct or not

rock on!

HOLA4410

it appears iris may have more questions to answer.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/iris--robinson-love-cheat-mp-wife-of-ulsters-first-minister--tried-to-kill-herself-14625139.html

The Robinsons’ amazing public confession was in part prompted by a media investigation believed to centre on Iris Robinson’s finances.

After reading his personal statement, Mr Robinson was asked if he was confident that neither himself or Iris had done anything illegal in relation to financial or political matters.

He replied: “I am absolutely certain that everything that I have done has been done as it should. I know of no allegation that suggests otherwise.”

The First Minister also revealed that he had received a letter from the BBC containing questions about financial matters.

He said: “It contained no allegation against me, it asked questions which are easily answered, but there is no allegation that will stand.”

In a subsequent statement the Spotlight programme confirmed it has been investigating matters involving Iris Robinson for some time.

HOLA4411

It's taken this man ten months to become emotional about this. . . . :blink:

Answering questions 12 hours after his wifes suicide attempt in the assembly . . . . . laughing and joking. . . . . .

The cynic in me can't help but think What is the real issue here?

I'm also looking forward to Spotlight it could quite possibly illuminate the real reasons for Petes 'emotional' catharsis.

Details of the couples financial dealings could prove to be very interesting.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Iris Robinson's admission of a sexual affair 'prompted by BBC inquiry'

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6979128.ece

Suzanne Breen on Morning Ireland this morning basically said the whole thing was a fraud designed to deflect from the Spotlight investigation, that PR looked 'down' now but didn't look 'down' back in March 2009 when this was meant to have occurred etc. etc. etc Essentially that the whole thing was a show to distract from their finances.

HOLA4414

Iris Robinson's admission of a sexual affair 'prompted by BBC inquiry'

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6979128.ece

Suzanne Breen on Morning Ireland this morning basically said the whole thing was a fraud designed to deflect from the Spotlight investigation, that PR looked 'down' now but didn't look 'down' back in March 2009 when this was meant to have occurred etc. etc. etc Essentially that the whole thing was a show to distract from their finances.

from article:

In their statements delivered to four handpicked local journalists yesterday afternoon Mrs Robinson, who was absent, made a significant passing reference to her lover: "I encouraged friends to assist him by providing financial support for a business venture."

oooh the plot thickens

cynicism and politics eh?

i reckon you could be right weebobby re. what may be the business venture of the lover

HOLA4415

i reckon you could be right weebobby re. what may be the business venture of the lover

... is he a golfer? :unsure::lol:

Cheers to you Mrs. Robinson :lol:

I have a few poor Adam's Family jokes too...

There creepy and their kooky...

... but it is all highly libelous so can's post here :(

HOLA4416

it looks to me like iris may be going to be involved in a financial scandal and if so its all about whether PR can distance himself from it all (unlikely ) as he is trying to do.

how does the political system work over here if he had to stand down? might we get big sammy wilson in as first minister ?? or martin mcguiness ?? another election ??

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/environment/environment-minister-sammy-wilson-i-still-think-manmade-climate-change-is-a-con-14123972.html

HOLA4417

But how will it all affect house prices? Let us not forget that Peter Robinson is a self-confessed ex-estate agent.

___

Seriously though, I feel very sorry for Peter Robinson, who I think is a hard worker and has done much for both Castlereagh and Northern Ireland. I'd say that his good reputation has had no small part to play in Iris's election to office.

Normally I'd say keep it a family matter. Had Iris not made such public moral pronouncements on homosexuals, I would say leave them all well alone. But, as an adulteress, she cannot now expect public debate about her private and moral life.

I hope they all come through it stronger though. I hope that Iris in particular will learn to have more toleration for others, and I hope she will not drag her husband down.

HOLA4418

http://bobballs.wordpress.com/2010/01/07/iriss-lover-what-about-the-public-money-behind-his-business/

Iris’s ex-lover: what about the public money behind his business?

7 01 2010

What of this business Mrs Robinson urged people to invest in? In Iris’s statement, she said:

I encouraged friends to assist him (her lover) by providing financial support for a business venture.

I accept that. However there is further background to that side of the story – I understand money from the public purse has gone into helping to make this business a reality. As a result there is a strong public interest issue to pursue here.

Castlereagh Borough Council (supported by the EU Building Sustainable Prosperity Programme, administered by the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Investment) constructed the building which houses this young man’s business.

It is widely understood that Iris Robinson is an influential figure in Castlereagh council. And while I am not alleging impropriety, I have no doubt that the ratepayers of Castlereagh will want to be reassured that the process behind the divestment of their money was completely transparent. And I have no doubt that Castlereagh Borough Councillors will also want to reassure ratepayers that no one received any personal advantage / preferential treatment from public servants due to a relationship with Mrs Robinson.

I haven’t posted this to cause anxiety to anyone, the personal peccadilloes behind this affair are irrelevant. Were there no whiff of public moneys involved, I would not have posted this. I feel that there is a strong public interest issue here which must be satisfied.

PS. I have no idea what’s in the Spotlight programme. So I don’t know if this is touched upon by the BBC.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425